The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

DHFS Helicopters down

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
GrahamS
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

DHFS Helicopters down

Post by GrahamS »

Initial reports indicate a collision between two squirrel helicopters from the Defence Helicopter Flying School.

Let's hope all are well. Would Celtic Warrior report in please?
Which way is up?
CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain

Post by CrazyDunc »

BBC news link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shro ... 249259.stm

Reports say that 1 crewmember dead, one airlifted to Hospital and two others with minor injuries.

A/C were From Central Flying School and the other from 660 Squadron,

Im sure that everyone willl join me in sending out our Conolences to the dead Crewmembers Family and Friends.

Duncan
Regards,
Dunc
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

My best wishes to all involved and their families.
Which way is up?
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

I can confirm reports that there was a collision between 2 Squirrel helicopters and that there is one fatality, 2 VSI and one minor injury. No names have been released as yet, but his loss comes as blow to myself and all of my colleagues.

The aircraft belong to the Defence Helicopter Flying School of which 660 Sqn is a part and the Central Flying School (Helicopters) share the aircraft as part of the civilianised contract (contrary to media reports they are not RAF).

The dead pilot could be from any of the services, or indeed an ex-military civilian.

There but for the grace of god, go I. I was just about to launch to go there myself, but my student was 15 mins late lifting and thus we were fortunate to have missed it all. :(
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

I am relieved to see that you are OK, CW, thanks for taking the time to post. I appreciate the effect something like this has on everyone.
Which way is up?
CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain

Post by CrazyDunc »

good to see your alright CelticWarrior
Regards,
Dunc
drunkenjim
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by drunkenjim »

Glad to hear your ok cary

my thoughts go out to the family and friends of all involved
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Just had the name confirmed, all I can say is that I'm numbed.

This is no less poignant because it is a peacetime, training loss. We give our all, in peace and war, for the greater good.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Sorry for the use of upper case, but this was cut and pasted from the original ....

PRESS STATEMENT BY THE STATION COMMANDER RAF SHAWBURY
– GROUP CAPTAIN PAUL CUNNINGHAM BSc RAF

"FOLLOWING MY ANNOUNCEMENT YESTERDAY. I CAN CONFIRM THAT THE CRASH SITE HAS BEEN SECURED AND A BOARD OF INQUIRY SET UP TO INVESTIGATE THE CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING THE TRAGIC ACCIDENT INVOLVING THE TWO SQUIRREL AIRCRAFT AT RAF TERN HILL.

THE BOARD MEMBERS WILL VISIT THE SITE AND BE BRIEFED BY THE ACCIDENT RECOVERY OFFICER. ONCE ALL THE EVIDENCE HAS BEEN REVIEWED, THE BOARD OF INQUIRY WILL REPORT THEIR FINDINGS ON THE CAUSE OF THE ACCIDENT AND THE MINISTRY OF DEFENCE WILL PUBLISH THESE IN DUE COURSE.

SADLY MR JOHN GARNONS-WILLIAMS, A CIVILIAN PILOT EMPLOYED BY F B HELI-SERVICES, DIED IN THE CRASH AND OUR CONDOLENCES ARE WITH HIS WIFE AND FAMILY AT THIS TIME. OUR SUPPORT IS ALSO WITH THE OTHER PILOTS INVOLVED (1 ROYAL NAVY AND 2 RAF) AND THEIR FAMILIES AND WE WISH THEM A SPEEDY RECOVERY.

WE ALSO THANK THE EMERGENCY SERVICES AND THE AIR AMBULANCE FOR THEIR RAPID RESPONSE AND PROFESSIONALISM IN SUPPORT OF RESCUE OPERATIONS."

110800 JAN 07