The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

RAF Tristar Balls-up

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

RAF Tristar Balls-up

Post by nickblack423 »

Did everyone hear about the RAF Tristar landing on its arse at Kandahar on Jan 8th. caused quite a stir. It'd taken long enough to convince the "glorious" 216 sqn to fly into there in the first place and then this happens.

Not sure if the report has been published as to what happened yet, but we had to deal with an awful lot of pissed off people who had a 24 hour delay again at the cost of the RAF's AT fleet. Not pointing fingers at 216, just at the AT fleet being old and decrepid. Ive heard rumours saying a) it was a technical problem, b) the pilot was coming in too high and fast and slammed it in, and c) that it was badly trimmed. We'll have to see.

Was quite an impressive sight, and you shouldve seen the big wigs, at Kandahar panicking cos it was sat there during the day for 2 days nearly.

"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

The RAF are taking a lot of flak over the state of AT, this won't help the situation I'm sure. I read about this on PPRUNE, thanks for the pic Nick.

They seem to have a good safety record, it's a pity the servicability of the fleet is so poor, hardly surprising for an old, much-used airframe. Glad I'm not a maintainer on them.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Considering they only have one working frame at a time most of the time and they are doing almost back to back flights into Afghanistan they are doing a good job to be honest. But it cant go on much longer. I got so fed up of telling guys they couldnt go home over the last few months cos their flight was delayed 24 hours.

We need a solution, but I hear the FSTA has been shit canned for the time being.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

It's not good for morale. The boys at the sharp end are getting seriously fed up from what I've heard. Although there are sound reasons, which I fully understand and appreciate, it's difficult to explain to someone the whys and wherefors when they've been producing the goods and topping Johnny Taliban to good effect themselves.

I hope that the powers that be come up with a workable solution, and quickly.

Do you read E-goat?
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Occassioanally. Not recently though. What the powers be fail to realise though is that it isnt them, with their meteoric salaries and cushy office jobs that are getting the s**t kicked out of them only to not be able to get home to their loved ones cos the Tristar is delayed again. It was the same when I was in Iraq 2 years ago, not change a bit. Its us, the lowest payband in the RAF who have to explain the problems, solutions etc to these boys. And we get Rooster all thanks for it. All we get is "oh sorry boys you've done a great job but no pay rise this year, and oh by the way you've gotta go to this sh*thole now too."

Sorry I hope thats my vent over, still recovering from my Det.

Nick
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Vent away, Nick. You've earned it. :D
Cliffie2025
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cliffie2025 »

As an operator I can tell you that the guys that work these jets are getting so much stick from their passengers. The big wigs won't let them fly in there without DAS equipped aircraft and they are not all equipped plus they have no spares when it fails. It was certainly not the 'glorious' squadron that would not fly in there - DAS protection was only fitted in 2006 when Kabul runs started and as for Kandahar it is a much much better option than Kabul but the big wigs who would not underwrite the risk of losing 260 people in one go should we lose one. It is bad enough having to operate under such conditions with no spares and as you say for most of the time 1 jet without getting grief off all and sundry. Morale is pretty low I can tell you :(
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Yeh I appreciate that. We were told that morale was low on 216 when this happened in Iraq in 2004, constant delays I mean. We just cant run an airforce like this. Its ridiculous. The things are knackered and need replacing, they are working their bollocks off, as are the techies but they just wont play ball, and all everyone gets is flak for it. The RAF is a joke in afghanistan at the moment, the Army have been slagging us off none stop, one general commented, on record, that we were a disgrace, cos his boys got delayed.

Too many high up boys arguing over whos to blame and not enough action to remedy the problem if you ask me. Its not gonna go away, its gonna get worse, the only saving grace is the newly DAS equipped KC1, but it cant take as many pax, so we loose half the capability.
alexrfixit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by alexrfixit »

While the suits in Whitehall still make all the decisions, things won't improve. Calculators don't understand the concept of "morale".
Where did I put my beer??!
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

However it could be worse....

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1048634/L/