The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

"So that others may live...."

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

"So that others may live...."

Post by MIKE JG »

-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
jetmax
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: "So that others may live...."

Post by jetmax »

Good story. For the past 6 motht I have had the honor of supporting the 33 EQRS at Bagram. They also fly with the Padro callsign. Great group of guys and gals!!
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

I've seen this before and it's really good read. Sadly pic#5 be me again next year!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Rotorhead
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Rotorhead »

These guys are the REAL HERO's!!! Nothing but respect for the SAR guys!!!
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Rotorhead wrote:These guys are the REAL HERO's!!! Nothing but respect for the SAR guys!!!
I'm prior Navy SAR, and after our first rescue on cruise, every fastmover in the air wing loved us!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Victory what is that face mask thing the crew chief is wearing in the third picture? Some sort of ballistic protection or something similar??
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Rotorhead
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rotorhead »

Victory103 wrote:
Rotorhead wrote:These guys are the REAL HERO's!!! Nothing but respect for the SAR guys!!!
I'm prior Navy SAR, and after our first rescue on cruise, every fastmover in the air wing loved us!
I'm was an AW for 7 years before I went to flight training, was a Rescue Swimmer in SH-60B's, then after flight training I flew 60's for another 7 years before going to Hornets...hence Rotorhead. I always told the younger pilots in the Airwing to respect the helo bubbas, because you never know when you'll see one of those guys hovering above you!!! I just got this months issue of the Rotor Review and the cover is "So Others May Live - Not just a catch phrase"....love it!
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

MIKE JG wrote:Victory what is that face mask thing the crew chief is wearing in the third picture? Some sort of ballistic protection or something similar??
It's designed for the crew chief/gunner to be able to hang outside the aircraft inflight and still be heard on the ICS as the air rushes by his boom mic. Previously, we used old O2 masks for the same issue while hanging out the windows/doors calling dust landings. I've seen OH-58D guys use it as well when flying doors off.

@Rotorhead, very cool, that was my original plan as well as an East coast HS AW, then life catches up with you and I didn't want to risk getting an NFO slot, so I went Army!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Rotorhead
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rotorhead »

Victory103 wrote:
MIKE JG wrote:Victory what is that face mask thing the crew chief is wearing in the third picture? Some sort of ballistic protection or something similar??
It's designed for the crew chief/gunner to be able to hang outside the aircraft inflight and still be heard on the ICS as the air rushes by his boom mic. Previously, we used old O2 masks for the same issue while hanging out the windows/doors calling dust landings. I've seen OH-58D guys use it as well when flying doors off.

@Rotorhead, very cool, that was my original plan as well as an East coast HS AW, then life catches up with you and I didn't want to risk getting an NFO slot, so I went Army!
Plus they just look damn cool!!!! We used to use a big foam mike cover for that, what a pain!
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by maddog65 »

I wish the Navy CWO pilot program was around when I was younger.

Les

Soon to be..

24 Years, 0 Months, 26 Days
Les
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

maddog, I know, after my switch to the dark side, they came up with the program. I did 10+ yrs Navy, so switching to a completely different service was/is a pain. I even looked to switch back to the Navy after this Flying CWO program got started, but nothing yet. Looks like I might just pursue an Air Guard A-10 slot instead.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris