The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

F-117 on way to boneyard

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

F-117 on way to boneyard

Post by Stewart Pearson »

According to an article in an El Paso newspaper, Holloman AFB will lose it's fleet of F-117's by the end of 2008. 10 will be retired this year, with the remainder slated for retiral next year.

The aircraft will be replaced with F-22 Raptors, which will begin arriving at the New Mexico base next year.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_5089211

Weescotty: Looks like that's your next model!!

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

I just read about this in the latest issue of 'Air and Space'. I was real surprised. Thought we had a few more years of the 'Wobblin' Goblin'. :smt022 But... if that gets us a WSAI F-22, then all the better :D !
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Makes you wonder what else is out there that makes the F-117 obsolete besides the F-22s and F-35s.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

I think that may just be it. I was watching a show that said the F-22 was stealthier than the F-117. The days of multiple aircraft for multiple missions is over :(
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
StingingCanine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by StingingCanine »

Also it is a one mission aircraft, has a very limited ordinance load, and has outdated avionics.

But it still looks pretty cool!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Ya I guess it's technically late 70's early 80's technology, over twenty years old in other words. "Outdated" already.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
flyboy
Major
Major

Post by flyboy »

I read where we are working on a "unmanned stealth drone (UCAV)" to do the same mission...single point attack over a heavily defended area. That way if a aircraft is shot down, you don't have to worry about the pilot. Pilot could be setting in Las Vegas hitting a target someplace halfway around the world. Ungraded Global Hawk or Predator (would have to be kinda large to carry a good strike load)???
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

Has the 7th FS already been disbanded?

Cheers
Barry
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

btaylo24 wrote:Has the 7th FS already been disbanded?

Cheers
Barry
Barry,

Yes, the F-117A is officially in "Sundown" status with Detachment 1 of the 53rd Test and Evaluation Group deactivated on September 15, 2006 and the 7th Fighter Squadron "Screaming Demons" deactivated on December 31, 2006.

http://www.acc.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123035108

Mike
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Re: Flyboys post, I had started following links beginning with the one up top and found stories stating that in fact two separate contracts had been let for development of remotely piloted a/c purpose build to replace the 117 type mission: Boeing for USAF vehicle and Lockheed for USN. At some point the projects became merged into one. Both a/c to be large enough to carry whatever weapons mission requires. Mature project at this time, however, USAF dropped out just before the turn of the year. Talk is AF fears loosing flying positions. However, sub unit of the AF program seem to be continuing with development as long as their bank account holds out (kinda Dale Brown type senario) and Navy very determined to continue. Veeery Interesting!

Sorry I haven't taken the time to look up the ref links, but sure you can find them if you are interested.

Ron