The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Working Together

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Working Together

Post by MIKE JG »

Nice to see our boys working together under difficult circumstances. U.S. special forces did something similar to this a couple years ago over there riding outside of Cobra gunships to get a quick lift to the top of a mountain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... che122.xml
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Yep, but what's worrying is that British Army will not have an equivalent to the Blackhwak for a long while according to UK press reports. Why Westland could not build the Blackhawk under licence like they have the Apache is mystery!

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Politics my friend, politics...... :roll:
-Mike G.

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I have to agree... When the RAF were looking for a long range interceptor the first choice was the F-14 (IIRC) for the simple reason is we have to cover the North Sea, which was the route Soviet bombers would take. Not so dis-similar to a F-14 protecting its carrier.

But we couldn't afford it so we ended up with the Tornado F3 which is a dog as a fighter. Great low-level bomber though...

Now we have the Typhoon, a fighter equal to anything flying today. Even if its years late...

Cynical moi?

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

VulcanDriver wrote:I have to agree... When the RAF were looking for a long range interceptor the first choice was the F-14 (IIRC) for the simple reason is we have to cover the North Sea, which was the route Soviet bombers would take. Not so dis-similar to a F-14 protecting its carrier.
It was the RAF's greatest hope, but they knew that we wouldn't be able to afford them we actually test flew the F-15 though, the pilot that did was on my sqn. The RAF wanted two-seaters.
Steve
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Mike
Them Cobras are Apaches

Gary
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote:
VulcanDriver wrote:I have to agree... When the RAF were looking for a long range interceptor the first choice was the F-14 (IIRC) for the simple reason is we have to cover the North Sea, which was the route Soviet bombers would take. Not so dis-similar to a F-14 protecting its carrier.
It was the RAF's greatest hope, but they knew that we wouldn't be able to afford them we actually test flew the F-15 though, the pilot that did was on my sqn. The RAF wanted two-seaters.
Was that Dan Griffiths? He was a RAF test pilot I knew and he said flew the F-15. He's now at Airbus.

John
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

VulcanDriver wrote: Was that Dan Griffiths? He was a RAF test pilot I knew and he said flew the F-15. He's now at Airbus.

John
Nope this one flew a well publicized flight across the Atlantic in a specially painted FGR2 :) . Although, that is not to say that Dan wasn't involved in the trial as well, I only know about one person.
Steve
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Garysb wrote:Mike
Them Cobras are Apaches

Gary
And fine looking Apaches they are :wink:, I'm reffering to a seperate, but very similar incident that took place a couple years back that was shown as part of a TV documentary called "Task Force Red Dog". In that event two US Marine AH-1 Cobras lifted US special forces soldiers up and out of a valley floor to the top of a mountain to cut off enemy combatants that they were pursuing at the time. At the time that was thought to be the first time it had ever been tried. Good to see that it worked well again.

Sorry Celtic for the repost.
-Mike G.