The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

20 C-17's Fill the Charleston SC skyline!!! Amazing

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
commercialcobb

20 C-17's Fill the Charleston SC skyline!!! Amazing

Post by commercialcobb »

12/27/2006 - CHARLESTON AIR FORCE BASE, S.C. KCHS -- The largest formation of C-17 Globemaster IIIs from a single base took off from here Dec. 21 in a demonstration of Charleston AFB's strategic airdrop capability. After taking off at 9:30 a.m. at 30-second intervals, the 20 C-17s flew over the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge and then back over the base to "wave" at maintenance, aerial port and other support Airmen who helped make the flight possible. The formation continued to North Auxiliary Field near Orangeburg, S.C., which is strictly a military training airport with no permanent personel, and completed a massive airdrop. North Auxiliary Field is a joint venture from the men and women of Pope AFB, Charleston AFB, Fort Bragg, Fort Johnson, and Shaw AFB.. I was at work here in Charleston when these beautiful birds appeard out of no where and filled the sky!!! My initial reactions was turn on the news something has happend, but nothing other than breaking a record and flexing our low country muscles!!! Additionally, nine of the C-17s practiced aerial refueling as part of the training. "It's important to us to stress our organization occasionally and make sure we're able to support the Global War on Terrorism and still respond to any other contingency in the world. We must make sure we can generate the crews and the aircraft in a timely manner," said Colonel Harrison. On average, more than 200 tons of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom cargo is processed through the 437th Aerial Port Squadron daily with approximately 65 percent of all air cargo bound for American warfighters in Iraq and Afghanistan originating here.
"I don't know if there's another unit in the world that could do this," said Colonel Harrison. :shock:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_MTE3roZy35A/RY0 ... ver+SC.jpg
Attachments
Amazing sight, although not my photo!! photo by unknown author, but whoever you are, great shot!!
Amazing sight, although not my photo!! photo by unknown author, but whoever you are, great shot!!
C-17s++over+SC.jpg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 181 times
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

Wow, would love to of seen that!
Amazing sight!

Cheers
Barry
KMTC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by KMTC »

Now why couldn't they do that when I was there?!?!
Matt