The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Desert Falcons

Check here for official announcements from MAIW.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Desert Falcons

Post by Greg »

Military AI Works presents the Desert Falcons of the United Arab Emirates Air Force. Known as the Block 60 F-16E and F models, these Desert Falcons are the most advanced F-16s in the world and unique to the UAE Air Force. All 80 aircraft are currently based at Al Dhafra Air Base located south of Abu Dabi.

Read more about these exciting new models here.

Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Re: Desert Falcons

Post by Alan Robertson »

I'm a bit confused with this package in regard to the optional weapons texture folders and where they are to be installed. The readme file doesn't make this clear. Can you help please? Also, there is mention of a texture folder within the effects folder but there isn't one present. Ta in advance for any help you can give.
Regards,

Alan
Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

Re the effects folder I've just noticed that the textures are not in a sub-folder but lumped in with the effects themselves.
Regards,

Alan
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Yea they are sorry about that. Late night packaging it all up.

As for the weapons textures, you have your choice:

You can alter the look of the multirole models that have the Mk82 series of bombs. The Mk82 is the dumb gravity 500lb version without the GPS or laser seeker head. By using the normal weapons texture sheet, you will get green Mk82 bombs on several of the models. If you use the GBU-38 weapons texture, it changes the look of those same modeled parts to that of green GBU-38 bombs.

Then there are inert (blue) versions of each of those two textures in case you want the model to have training rounds.

So the same model can have either green Mk82s, green GBU-38s or inert (blue) Mk 82's or inert (blue) GBU-38's.

I've already seeded each aircraft's texture folder with variations of the weapons texture so you don't need to do anything if you don't want to. However if you want to change out the look of those model's weapons, you can just by switching out the weapons texture file "WSMG_F16_Weaps_60.bmp" file in each aircraft's texture folder.

If you chose to use either one of the two inert weapons textures, this also makes the air to air missiles inert (blue bands) as well.

Fighters generally carry inert weapons unless they are going to war or dropping live rounds on a practice range.

This just ups the realism by letting the individual user decide how they want their models to look.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Hopefully that helps explain our complete anal retentive way of thinking.......
-Mike G.

bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

I think this gem deserves a dedicated scenario ...

Thanks guys, really appreciated.

Giorgio
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Also several of the aircraft textures are a bit retro. From the year 2000-2010, UAE pilots and maintainers trained with the 162nd fighter wing of the Arizona Air National Guard at the Tuscon Airport. As these aircraft were based in the United States, they wore "AZ" tailcodes.

We decided to paint up several of the models in this scheme. AIrcraft '3003' actual has two textures inside its texture folder, it currently uses the standard UAE F-16 paint scheme. However there is a second texture in that folder called "AT_WSMG_F16F_B60_UAEAF_T.bmp" If you would like this particular aircraft to use that "AZ" tail code scheme, simply delete the file "WSMG_F16F_B60_UAEAF_T.bmp" and remove the "AT_" from the other aircraft texture file. Again just some bonus options.

Also we didn't do all 80 aircraft due to serial number research restrictions and photographic evidence. We did as many as we could verify and that goes for the weapons loadouts as well, if we had a picture, Kevin modeled it.
-Mike G.

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

I'll be here all weekend for support questions, keep them coming, it's currently -10*C outside with about a half a foot of snow on the ground where I' live, it's flight simming season for sure!
-Mike G.

Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

All has now become clear (I think). Now that the flightplans have been released I shall get this package up and running. Looking forward to it too. Many thanks for all the hard work that has gone into this and, in advance, a Happy New Year to all at MAIW.
Regards,

Alan
buzzbee1973
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by buzzbee1973 »

My be I overlooked it, but where can I find the flightplans for the Desert Falcons?

Thanks.

I wish you all a happy new year 2018.
Regards

Marcus
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

Thank you guys.

Great work again.

John
C-130H
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by C-130H »

Really nice work Greg!
This is an amazing job that you have done!
I actually got a glimpse of the Desert Falcons, shortly after they started arriving, 2007-2008 timeframe, during one of my deployments to the UAE. They are on the other side of the airfield from us. We had a maintenance problem on one of our birds during launch and had to meet an aircraft on the south side of the airfield. I got to see them, briefly after we got our bird airborne. For me it was pretty exciting to see them. The one thing that stuck out was their paint job, at the time. Again great work!
Place enough force behind a brick and it will fly!
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

buzzbee1973 wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 12:59 My be I overlooked it, but where can I find the flightplans for the Desert Falcons?

Thanks.

I wish you all a happy new year 2018.
Here:
http://www.militaryaiworks.com/forums/1 ... 00#p182017

Giorgio
buzzbee1973
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by buzzbee1973 »

Thank you Giorgio.

Happy New Year
Regards

Marcus
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

C-130H wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 13:54 Really nice work Greg!
Thanks, but I'm just the messenger. :wink:

All credit goes to Mike G. and Kevin for the model and paints and Mike M. for the flight dynamics.
C-130H
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by C-130H »

Oops! :oops:
Thanks for the update! I will extend the thanks to those fellas also!
Great work! Mike G., Kevin & Mike M! :D
Place enough force behind a brick and it will fly!
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Notice that the radius has been set to 9Mt instead of the usual 8Mt.
May be it is better to change it? (I've already done it on my setup)

Giorgio
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Awe crap! I looked at that multiple times and thought for sure we were using 9m. As you said it doesn't really affect much since those aircraft are all based at the same location.

Not going to redo the whole package just for that but if anyone would like to know how to reset the aircraft's parking radius to 8m from 9m, just say so and we can talk you through it, it's easy to do.
-Mike G.

Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Hopefully this will help with the loadouts...
Loadouts.jpg
The different weapons textures...

Mike is correct apart from -

GBU-38's are carried on the Smart Bomb Rack which is modelled on E10. So use the 60_38 live or 60_38P inert texture.
Dumb Mk82 are carried directly on a pylon or on a Triple Ejection Rack (also modelled), the TER or bare pylon cannot carry GBU-38's.
So for 100 accuracy on E6 or F4 use the 60_82 live or 60_82P inert texture.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

See.....there goes Kevin keeping me in line while I go off spouting about things I don't know.... I always forget the JDAMs can only use the smart bomb racks (to be able to program the GPS coordinates into the bombs in flight)

Let me translate what he is saying.

For the following E models, use the weapons texture file from either the "Normal" or "Inert" folder:
model.Bk60E_UAE_MultiRole_1, model.Bk60E_UAE_MultiRole_4

For the following E model, use the weapons texture file from either the "GBU-38" or "Inert GBU-38"
model.Bk60E_UAE_MultiRole_5

For the F models, the following aircraft texture folders should use either the weapons texture file from the "Normal" or "Inert" folders. Looks like I stuck the wrong weapons texture version in these two folders:
"texture.UAEAF_F16F_Bk60_3012" and "texture.UAEAF_F16F_Bk60_3019"
-Mike G.