The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Upload MAIW packages for FSX?

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
RobinHague
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Upload MAIW packages for FSX?

Post by RobinHague »

Greg, et al,
Since I have now got a LOT of MAIW packages working in FSX, I would be happy to up load for others to use.
However, I've no idea how to do this or what would be required.
Can you help please
Robin
RobinHague
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Upload MAIW packages for FSX?

Post by RobinHague »

Oh well, if no one is interested!
I did try
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Sorry Robin,

Because the packages would be quite large, I've been thinking about a couple of possible solutions but I don't have time right now to implement them. :?

The best way, for the moment, would be to upload them to a file sharing host.
Ripcord
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by Ripcord »

Nor would you need to upload the whole package. The AI aircraft and effects folders are fine as they are.

It would be the traffic bgl files and the addon-scenery that is normally needed to be adapted, in most cases, for FSX.

Not sure about the sound/callsign files, I've not really gotten that far in the process yet. That may also something that could be included in an upload -- but I see no sense in uploading the AI aircraft and effects, those can be taken from the FS9 packages.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I do concur with Ripcord here. Rather than rehash the complete package and possibly run into problems with permissions, it might be better to create kits that others can use to complete the conversions. They would be smaller and have less potential problems.

Remember, MAIW has permission to release everything from all authors. You wouldn't have. As Greg eluded to there are a few reasons why we haven't fully supported FSX packages, one of which is the ability to fully support them post release.

Sorry it took so long for us to respond to you.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Rereading all this and thanks to Martin Gossmann I now realise that my post may be misunderstood.

I'm working on a system to have such conversions distributed through MAIW. The file sharing host example was just to get the archive to me because it would be too large for e-mail. Never was it my intention to say that you can just upload stuff to a file sharing host and post the link for everyone. As Steve pointed out this would cause problems with permissions.

You can simply upload smaller files to the forums if you want to follow Ripcord and Steve's suggestion.
RobinHague
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RobinHague »

Right. OK. Having read you posts, I'll think about this one. (I don't see a problem with the sound files particularly, but as I say, I'll look into it all)
Robin.
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Persnonally speaking, I'd just like to say thanks to Robin for offering to share the FSX conversion work that he was done on MAIW packages. I haven't seen any of Robin's conversions as yet but I'm interested in the level of experience that Robin has in doing these conversions as we now have a large amount of members seeking FSX conversion and may be Robin has an interest in doing further work down the track. :wink:

Mark
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by Weescotty »

Sounds like a great idea.
We have enough FSX users to warrant an 'download' location for FSX conversions.
I would assume we personally wouldn't provide any support for them, but the people who converted them could?

Got both FS9 and FSX here, never have the time to convert any of our packages to FSX :(
RobinHague
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RobinHague »

Mark,
Thanks for the vote of confidence! However, my experience level is quite low - I've only started any sort of FS in June this year, but have picked up quite a lot since then.
I'm going to go back to the original conversion instructions which I used for the MAIW packs and sort out where all the different components have been placed and then see if I can get a coherent list of files for each pack so that they can be sent on this forum individually (for each pack, i.e. Finnish Hornets, French Mirages and so on) . That's the hope anyway. Obviously there won't be any sort of launching program, just a matter of the user putting the files in the right place once I've sent them.
Robin
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Doing this for awhile now and I really think some of the AFD's could be converted, and of course someone could just convert the FS9 traffic.bgl's for FSX users and post them up. Maybe consolidate some of the AI textures (opaque canopies) into one section on the home page, or special section of additional downloads per package, ex: "here is the exclude file to this AFD for FSX users". I do agree the site is FS9 based, so I don't feel the mods should work too much for FSX users, just happy to now have a separate forum.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
RobinHague
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RobinHague »

This link is a ZIP copy of my first attempt, Canadian Hornets. As I don't have a spare PC, I've been unable to test it to see if it behaves as in my own loaded copy. I've included a readme.txt to try and explain what I've done. If someone would like to try it and see how it goes and let me know how it goes, then maybe if it's OK, I can upload a few more??
Robin

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bx6qt3 ... WZrYkpFcjg
RobinHague
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RobinHague »

The following link is an addendum to Canadian Hornets:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bx6qt3 ... lotNHJQMEk

And here -
Addendum to No1 Canadian Hornets.txt
(1002 Bytes) Downloaded 48 times
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Ok, Robin. That is quite a download so we will need to put some thought into this process and get back to you with some ideas.
RobinHague
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RobinHague »

To be clear (or a bit clearer), Any future uploads from me would be about one tenth the size of that first one as they would only include the scenery file for any particular a/c and the traffic file for it. The first upload included all the rest of the files needed for ALL the MAIW packages.
R
Jason

Post by Jason »

I somehow installed the Canadian Hornets (I'm lucky if I can turn the PC on correctly, yeah, I'm old and crusty and can't wrap my head around these new newfangled things).

However, I did manage to install these hornets and they are awesome, thanks heaps Robin, I do look forward to some more, I have tried many times to convert using the instructions and I can't make it happen.So getting FSX ready MAIW stuff is awesome.
Hazza
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Hazza »

Hi Robin,
Just to get this right in my own (pea?) brain, the package "No1 Canadian Hornets MAIW for FSX" includes all the Voicepaks, Flightplans, Airports, Excludes, Landclass and Scenery for all packages before ??? (Package number)? But only the Canadian Hornets actual Aircraft? So that package could replace all the work I did to follow Martins instructions :? Not that I mind of course!!! Just wish I had found this a lot earlier - if my pea brain is correct :lol: :lol:
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

I really think what you need here is an FSX supplement to go with the MAIW packages. That would include only what is needed.

1. Instructions on what scenery files to keep, which to delete (vtpp files, etc.) and how to go about handling the FS9 installation programs. New FSX users should be reminded to install these into a folder, not into FSX.
2. New files that flatten, adjust, exclude, etc., that may need to be added into the addon scenery folders, OR
3. New ADE file that includes exclusion/flatten poligons, etc., as part of the AFCAD.

I suppose if you wanted to, you could distribute the "pre-processed" AI traffic files in FSX format, eg, those that have been compiled already and just need to be placed in the scenery/world/scenery folder in FSX.

I would be not be in favor an installer that dictates where the scenery addons should go (I combine mine according to my own system) and I also see no point in distributing the AI simbojects separately. Just my 2c.
Last edited by Ripcord on 01 May 2013, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

Also, there is already a handful of us that are going thru the ORBX FTX England military airfields and tweaking them (really just adding parking and removing some static objects). We have not yet discussed creating a repository for those files -- and the ORBX folks are a little funny about how that is to be done, so that is probably something best done over on their site, at least in the beginning, to be sure that they are all kosher.