The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

RAF Mildenhall v2 FSX anyone?

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
RedBaronAaron
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

RAF Mildenhall v2 FSX anyone?

Post by RedBaronAaron »

I know its early days but i have just took a look at this scenery,

And in FSX it has potential to be amazing, can't imagine what fs9ers are looking at,

so is there any scenery guys out there who would convert it for us FSX users, can see there would be a lot of interest and its one base we NEED in fsx,

It would be really great if someone did take this on, looks like all the usual issue with Alpha,

PLEEEEEEASE :lol: :lol:

Cheers!
RedBaronAaron
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: RAF Mildenhall v2 FSX anyone?

Post by RedBaronAaron »

I also would take this job on, but I really lack the know how in any texture/scenery designing.
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by shaggy22 »

I use this base in FSX & the only issues are the trees & fences which use a different alpha channel. The performance is good, on my pc anyway.
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
RedBaronAaron
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RedBaronAaron »

Yea likewise,

No performance drop on my system,

When going around the things that stand out were the Tree's and fences,

Did notice a few small things like where there are some beams and poles on Water towers as well!

Cheers
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Installing now but just planned on pulling the trees and fences out, might get saucy and add FSX fences later. Good excuse to fly "across" the pond now.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
RedBaronAaron
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RedBaronAaron »

Yea,

got to say I would like to see someone add FSX fences and a tree library!

Removing them is gonna make the famous Hall loose some detail!

Dunno how much of a Job it would be!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

When we think about it, us FS9 guys are nice to FSX'ers and make the trees and fences their own files so that all you have to do is pull the files out and that gets rid of those objects.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
RedBaronAaron
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RedBaronAaron »

See I didn't even look for something simple like that,

Just remove the Tree & Fence files and I can use it in FSX,

It will defiantly do for now, but if somebody does replace the tree's and Fence please let me know!

Is there a way to leave the tree's & Fence where they have been placed but just use FSX compatible ones?

Many thanks!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I am guessing here but maybe the way to do that would be to leave them in and add the FSX compatible ones in using an object placer or ADE. Then when you are sure that you have the objects right, and compiled, you can then discard the FS9 bgls.

I have not done this but it does seem the easiest way to replace them w/o working it all out from scratch.
Steve
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Works for me!
RedBaronAaron
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RedBaronAaron »

I would say I'm fairly confident in ADE,

Used to editing AFCAD's though and have never tried a conversion like this,

but nothing to loose so I guess I will give this a go,

If anyone has managed to do this already, I would love a copy of the files,

Cheers again!
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Wondering if there has been any success with the trees and fences so far. I had a look in ade to see if the fs9 fence placement and tree objects could be seen, but could not see these files....i remember some time back that i could have sworn i had a proggy similar to ade that did display fs9 objects and i was able to follow their placement lines for fences etc, but hey, alot of water has gone under the bridge, or should i say, alot of beer has gone down the throat since then.

MAIW's version of the hall is the best there is presently and if only it could be done to full fsx standards, then there would be thousands of happy simmers out there.

Now comes the question i'm struggling with.....i removed all the files with any reference to trees or fences and yet, I'm still seeing trees with clear boxes around them....not seeing fences, even tho i have put the fence files back, and over towards the C-130 stand, i have several street light poles all next to each other in a field, will remove completely and reinstall to see whats going on.

all the best from Tobago

Trev
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Ok, for some reason, I cannot edit my last post......so...

I have started adding trees and fences to the field. Using instant scenery2. The tree files i'm using are from the orbx uk scenery, so when finished, they'll only be viewable for people with orbx installed. If anyone has any other tree recommendations, then I'd happily replace them, bear in mind it would be nice to be dx10 compatible too. (just remembered the MAIW scenery library objects folder, will look in there and see if there are trees suitable for the hall)
The fences i've started and are coming along nicely, once this is finished, i may have just one bgl file containing all trees and fences, or i may split the areas into regional files. Looking at the scenery, might add a few other bits and pieces here and there, vehicles, clutter etc.

One problem I'm seeing tho is the trees in the north west, behind the transit terminal and hangars, they seem to be linked in a bgl with other files. Hopefully, Tony, the project manager, might be able to work some magic and move the trees there into their own bgl file.

Will put up shots soon to show progress.

All the best

Trev
RedBaronAaron
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RedBaronAaron »

Hello Trev,

Sounds like this is coming along nicely for you, I do not use ORBX so when I can get around to it i'm just going to have to add some tree's from one of my own libraries, do use Treescape so I probably will try use some of there tree's! Fences I don't even know where to begin with!

The tree's that you carn't get rid of are part of the td_objects BGL, you can open and get rid of the using SDE test app (http://www.scruffyduckscenery.co.uk/SDE.html) that's how I managed to delete them without loosing all the other objects in the BGL!

Hope this help, and good luck!
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

RedBaronAaron wrote:Hello Trev,

Sounds like this is coming along nicely for you, I do not use ORBX so when I can get around to it i'm just going to have to add some tree's from one of my own libraries, do use Treescape so I probably will try use some of there tree's! Fences I don't even know where to begin with!

The tree's that you carn't get rid of are part of the td_objects BGL, you can open and get rid of the using SDE test app (http://www.scruffyduckscenery.co.uk/SDE.html) that's how I managed to delete them without loosing all the other objects in the BGL!

Hope this help, and good luck!
Hey there Red,

The trees i found could be removed by just moving mtrees4.bgl, i think thats what its called. As i fly just fsx, they were a no brainer for me as they appear in alot of maiw sceneries, but in fsx, with a clear box around them. I chose to use the orbx trees from the uk scenery as they seem to be pretty well optimised and i can also use some of the animated ones(still looking at the fps hit on those tho). I've redone them over a few times as i want to give people the ability to remove certain areas of trees if they find fps loss occurs.....also looking at maybe adjusting the properties of each file placement to appear at different density settings. Also wondering about looking for some tree object files that maybe everyone will have so i dont limit the files to just orbx users, any suggestions on good fsx( preferably dx10 friendly) trees i could use for everyone would be useful.

Because this 1st release will be utilising orbx trees, the trees themselves wont be supplied, just the reference guid's for the bgls to draw upon.

So far, in my eyes, and screen shots will follow soon, the new hedges and trees that i've done on the southern side look very realistic to what the hall is like. Been following google earth for all hedge and tree placements.

The fences are a little tricky, but i'm using instant scenery2 and that allows me to place them around the areas that are needed, again tho, i'm trying to use fence files that everyone will have already on their systems, the default microsoft one leave alot to be desired.....but, they will be done, and there are alot of them on the field.

Really hoping this turns out nice as Mildenhall is such an important base in the UK, this maiw scenery is the best there is so far. ACG were looking at it as a possibility a while back, but access to accurate photos on the base are hard to come by so I'm really pleased that maiw have done this. Now we just have to add a few more bells and whistles for the fsx peeps.

All the best

Trev
RedBaronAaron
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RedBaronAaron »

Yea the Tree's I managed to remove easily, the ones what where within another BGL were the problem but after some looking about I managed to remove those also.

I did find a libary of tree's some time ago called Tree x ( http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php ... 895&page=3 ) not sure if there DX10 and how they look as I haven't used them but from the images they look pretty decent!

I was looking at that programme, thinking about buying not to sure yet, undecided, if you download an ACG scenery they come with really good UK fences which you can straight replace the default ones with!

With you on that one, after Lakenheath this scenery was well needed, hoping we see a detailed LN soon, again i know ACG where planning but i know they have other projects on!
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

RedBaronAaron wrote:Yea the Tree's I managed to remove easily, the ones what where within another BGL were the problem but after some looking about I managed to remove those also.

I did find a libary of tree's some time ago called Tree x ( http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php ... 895&page=3 ) not sure if there DX10 and how they look as I haven't used them but from the images they look pretty decent!

I was looking at that programme, thinking about buying not to sure yet, undecided, if you download an ACG scenery they come with really good UK fences which you can straight replace the default ones with!

With you on that one, after Lakenheath this scenery was well needed, hoping we see a detailed LN soon, again i know ACG where planning but i know they have other projects on!
You should try the MAIW Lakenheath scenery, its got detail.

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/Released ... nheath.zip
Mark
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

RedBaronAaron wrote:Yea the Tree's I managed to remove easily, the ones what where within another BGL were the problem but after some looking about I managed to remove those also.

Downloaded treex and looking at how they look in dx9/10, however, these are just replacement textures for the default stock trees it appears.Would people prefer i use these? I guess if you don't have orbx eng, then that would be a yes.
I have all the acg files, will check to see what fence files i'm now referencing the scenery to, especially before i go too far into placing them as its a complete project in itself..or at least my mouse hand thinks it is.

Thanks for the tip about the egul package.....forgot about that one.

All the best

Trev
RedBaronAaron
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RedBaronAaron »

Ah think I used the aircraft and AFCAD just not the scenery, will activate again!

Right didn't know that, I speak for myself but I use JF VFR and not Orbx so wouldn't have access to the tree's!

If you look in the installation read me it tells you how to activate the UK fences they use, looks real nice and life like!

May have another look soon, would like to replace the fences with the ACG ones defiantly!

Good luck :)
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Ok.....a few pics to show whats been going on my end.

The trees and fences at the moment are all from orbx, as i have orbx england. Once i've done this version, oh and the trees and the fences and the additional ground markings will all be in separate bgls for ease of removal and helping to maintain fps, i will do a version using as basic and default lib objs as possible to try and ensure everybody is happy. Full size images - click on the links

https://imageshack.us/a/img12/7053/egun1.jpg
https://imageshack.us/a/img43/7774/egun2.jpg
https://imageshack.us/a/img577/624/egun3.jpg
https://imageshack.us/a/img845/9515/egun4.jpg

all the best

Trev