The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

EDHK Kiel scenery problem

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
777-Pilot
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

EDHK Kiel scenery problem

Post by 777-Pilot »

Hi guys!

I am having a problem with the airport scenery Kiel of the German Navy Seakings pack:
The taxiways are "flying" over the sloped default terrain of FSX. This leads to some objects/aircraft standing below the taxiways on the ground and can primarely be seen in the heli base area.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem? I am using GEX.

Thanks
David
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: EDHK Kiel scenery problem

Post by Victory103 »

David, although I don't have GEX, and really doubt it causing an issue, but there are elevation issues between FS versions, FS9 and X seem so measure the FS world differently. One of the main fixes when importing MAIW packs is to adjust the field elevations of included airfield files (AFDs).
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
777-Pilot
Cadet
Cadet

Post by 777-Pilot »

Victory103 wrote:David, although I don't have GEX, and really doubt it causing an issue, but there are elevation issues between FS versions, FS9 and X seem so measure the FS world differently. One of the main fixes when importing MAIW packs is to adjust the field elevations of included airfield files (AFDs).
Thanks for your answer. The bug is looking like this:

Could you explain me, how to adjust the field elevations? Thanks in advance!
David
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

If the file was an older AFCAD2.21 based file (AF2.xxxx), I would just check the surrounding scenery elevation in FSX and then adjust the AF2 file using AFCAD. AFCAD was designed for FS9 and below and used quite often in older MAIW packs. Lately AFX or ADE9X seem to be the preferred airfield building software, and ADE allows you to just change the elevations from within.

The other option is to have someone fix the file, then upload just the AFD bgl here on the forums vice the entire package. There are a few threads on this. I'll check over my install to see what/if I fixed the issue, I do not "fly" much in that part of the world.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

Honestly, this is one where I just gave up and went with payware. I use German Airfields 2 or something like that from Aerosoft. Torsten, teh guy at FS Developer, lives there at Kiel just up the road a bit, and if not mistaken, he made this scenery. The AI sea kings there seems to work OK on the lower part of the base but IIRC they was some issue with the AI parking at the top part of the base (the main airfield). I was going to look into that. But even with that shortcoming it is still way better than what we had.

Here is the name of it.
German Airfields 2 - Nordlichter (FSX only)

There are several other packages, lower saxony, northern bavaria, and so on -- not to be confused with German Airports, as there are several of those out there also.
mike november
Cadet
Cadet

Post by mike november »

Hi, I think the main reason for the non working of Kiel is that the package is putting 2 seperate airports with totally different field elevations into one single afcad.

One airport is the former naval air station Kiel with the location identifier ETMN sitting directly at the fjord with a field elevation of a mere 3ft.

The other airport is the civilian Kiel/Holtenau EDHK, sitting just next to ETMK but about a hundred feet higher (FE 101ft).

Both airports are connected by 2 pretty steep narrow roads and there is a real steep cliff between them both.