The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

P3D V2 installation

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

P3D V2 installation

Post by Kulbit »

Hi mates,

after installing, in a fully functional way, all te MAIW packages on my old FSX, I'm starting do the same on the new prepar3d V2.
As the structure of the folder is the same as FSX, I used the same pattern, but evenit having the AFCAD correctly reproduced, and all traffic perfectly working, I can not see the objects and the buildings and constructions of airports,
Do I need to change anything? What is the exact order of priority of Maiw folders : landclass, scenery, exclusion, airports and scenery? The maiw library folder in wich location should be?

Thanks to those who want to give me some help!
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Re: P3D V2 installation

Post by djnocturnal »

I've tried messing with the scenery too but its a no go. AI works great but scenery won't show at all.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I had also no success so far, but did not yet started to investigate. I want to find out why the objects from the libraries are not showing and if a pure airport file will be loaded when used with all the additional files.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

From what I have been reading is that 1.4 was able to load scenery no problem. V2 uses different scenery files but it looks like there may be a way to convert them to P3D V2 format.
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

Here is the site I found with the converter tools...no idea if they actually work or not yet.

http://www.scenerydesign.org/category/prepar3d/
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

Taken from another forum
Hi,

My conclusion is that no FS2004 MDL displays in Prepar3D v2. Even a simple building without tweaked animations or other tweaks doesn't display. So I guess the backwards compatibility has been dropped.

That's a pity for the advanced features we can't do in the FSX format, but who knows the P3D v2 format offers us some new ways :).
Mark H,

Let me know if the FSX converted scenery from FS9 I did works in V2.
Mark
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

I will give it a try tonight when i'm home. Also I was able to get FTX Global to install ok and I paid the $5.00 to use REX but it doesn't look like the textures are taking into P3D, maybe a registry issue since REX was originally intended for V1.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

djnocturnal wrote:I will give it a try tonight when i'm home. Also I was able to get FTX Global to install ok and I paid the $5.00 to use REX but it doesn't look like the textures are taking into P3D, maybe a registry issue since REX was originally intended for V1.
Well FTXG installer is V2 compatible, not sure about Rex. I'm still using V1.4, thought I'd watch how things evolve with V2 for a couple of months.
Mark
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

Post by Kulbit »

djnocturnal wrote:I will give it a try tonight when i'm home. Also I was able to get FTX Global to install ok and I paid the $5.00 to use REX but it doesn't look like the textures are taking into P3D, maybe a registry issue since REX was originally intended for V1.
From the REX forum by developer:

"REX Essential Plus / Overdrive works well with Prepar3D v 2; however, because of some changes to weather features such as 3D fog, we recommend that you disable the volumetric fog option within Prepar3D or turn off “Enable realistic Visibility” within REX.
These precautions are in place ONLY if you're using the REX weather engine. All other features operate correctly with Prepar3D v 2.
We'll be issuing a public beta of Service Pack 3 which includes fixes to handle the volumetric 3D fog "
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

Yeah, i've tried those tips from rex but still nothing...maybe it's installed and it's my eyes lol
twharrell
Cadet
Cadet

Post by twharrell »

Has anyone made any progress with this? It sure would be a shame if MAIW scenery is completely incomaptible with P3Dv2.

Todd
twharrell
Cadet
Cadet

Post by twharrell »

I have an update on this, and for some this is old news.

The latest beta (or developer) version of ModelconverterX has a user friendly way to convert your scenery files to P3Dv2 format. Just drag each individual bgl file to MCX. This will open all models contained within that bgl file. You then recompile the scenery to P3Dv2 bgl format (I keep the same file name and overwrite the old file). Some bgl files will not open in MCX and I am guessing these file do not have objects. Activate the scenery in P3Dv2 and it should work. Note that some effects do not transfer to P3D.

Todd
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Scenery Works...Need help with Aircraft Models

Post by thetford569 »

I have had great success converting MAIW scenery to Prepar3D 2.2 using the ModelConverterX tool. There are a few small issues with the scenery but for the most part it's all working. My problem is some aircraft models crash Prepar3D when you get close to them. I am still working on installing things one by one and discovering which models don't work. Right now I have found that the C-130E and F-16C/D models don't work and will crash the sim as soon as you get near them. ModelConverterX has a way to convert .MDL files to FSX/P3D format and I have tried that. It fixes the crashing problem however new problems arise with the props not turning on the C-130 and both aircraft taxi off into the grass and then stop. They lose their normal behavior. I hate to lose the F-16s for sure because that is ALOT of MAIW bases and aircraft. Does anyone have any ideas to successfully convert these models and fix them? Or is it just a matter of waiting for new models to be released (which seems like it might never happen).

Brandon
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Re: Scenery Works...Need help with Aircraft Models

Post by Ripcord »

thetford569 wrote:I have had great success converting MAIW scenery to Prepar3D 2.2 using the ModelConverterX tool. There are a few small issues with the scenery but for the most part it's all working. My problem is some aircraft models crash Prepar3D when you get close to them. I am still working on installing things one by one and discovering which models don't work. Right now I have found that the C-130E and F-16C/D models don't work and will crash the sim as soon as you get near them. ModelConverterX has a way to convert .MDL files to FSX/P3D format and I have tried that. It fixes the crashing problem however new problems arise with the props not turning on the C-130 and both aircraft taxi off into the grass and then stop. They lose their normal behavior. I hate to lose the F-16s for sure because that is ALOT of MAIW bases and aircraft. Does anyone have any ideas to successfully convert these models and fix them? Or is it just a matter of waiting for new models to be released (which seems like it might never happen).

Brandon
The guys at ORBX found something similar with the HTAI C208 Caravans, and if I am not mistaken here, I think HTAI did the C-130 and F-16 models as well. Might be that we will need to get in contact with Henry T to really properly fix that. Hope he will be interested in assisting with that.
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

twharrell wrote:I have an update on this, and for some this is old news.

The latest beta (or developer) version of ModelconverterX has a user friendly way to convert your scenery files to P3Dv2 format. Just drag each individual bgl file to MCX. This will open all models contained within that bgl file. You then recompile the scenery to P3Dv2 bgl format (I keep the same file name and overwrite the old file). Some bgl files will not open in MCX and I am guessing these file do not have objects. Activate the scenery in P3Dv2 and it should work. Note that some effects do not transfer to P3D.

Todd
Has anybody done any of this? Or is something each of us is going to need to do for himself?
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

I am guessing P3D v2.3 has fixed some of these issues, as I am not having any troubles at all with HTAI F-16 jets showing up. Will move on to HTAI C-130 and other aircraft to report.

EDIT: Got a whole ramp filled with C-130 Hercs at Little Rock AFB.

Maybe the crash problem is occuring only while they are in the air, and not while parked? Will test that also.

EDIT: Nope, hung around during taxi and on takeoff, just about had a mid-air collision with a C-130, and no issues. Looks like something got fixed.
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

twharrell wrote:I have an update on this, and for some this is old news.

Todd
OK I have figured it out now, and I have converted a handful of the GSE libraries. However I am still having issues converting the main library: MAIW_ABO.bgl Doesn't want to recompile it, either as FSX.bgl or as P3D.bgl -- has anybody managed to do this?
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Ripcord wrote:I am guessing P3D v2.3 has fixed some of these issues, as I am not having any troubles at all with HTAI F-16 jets showing up. Will move on to HTAI C-130 and other aircraft to report.

EDIT: Got a whole ramp filled with C-130 Hercs at Little Rock AFB.

Maybe the crash problem is occuring only while they are in the air, and not while parked? Will test that also.

EDIT: Nope, hung around during taxi and on takeoff, just about had a mid-air collision with a C-130, and no issues. Looks like something got fixed.
I can confirm the positive news for HTAI and P3D 2.3. The only AI issue I see is a new one and sadly affects Mike's B-52. The lights appear above the aircraft. Can anybody confirm this?
Cheers,
Martin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

gsnde wrote: The only AI issue I see is a new one and sadly affects Mike's B-52. The lights appear above the aircraft. Can anybody confirm this?
Negative. I got good B-52's at KBAD. If there is some anamoly, then I was not able to spot it.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I would appreciate if you (or whoever runs P3DV2.3) could check for the lights circled in red. There is one above the aircraft frame, and a double set at each wing. They are not visible from all directions. This started with P3DV2.3 - I have not seen this issue before.

Cheers,
Martin