The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Barksdale AFB

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
F-16

Re: Barksdale AFB

Post by F-16 »

Thanks Mark and all the rest of you - that cured my water problem.
However I am also having a number of other problems.
All the buildings are black and ugly - as if not textured.
Also, I'm not sure if it is meant to be or not, but now since I took the water away, the scenery is a photo of a section of the real runway and taxiways crossing though the actual ones, perpendicular, and therefore not looking very good from above.
Anybody got any suggestions?
Thanks heaps.
F-16

Post by F-16 »

Ok, I fixed the scenery problem, it was the VT files that were causing the problem, and deleting them fixed this.
So now its just the black objects problem.

Also, I am having the problem where arriving aircraft have their wheels sunk into the ground.
How is this fixed?
Thanks,
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Didn't notice that yet, at least my B-52's seem to be fine after landing. I'll check it out on my system.

The main issue will be elevation differences between FS9 and FSX, it's normally not much but enough to cause issues with the AI.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
F-16

Post by F-16 »

Actually, i'll have to check that....
I was meaning at Nellis AFB, at least that is where I have seen it happen :oops:
Do you know what could be causing the black objects?
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

F-16 wrote:Actually, i'll have to check that....
I was meaning at Nellis AFB, at least that is where I have seen it happen :oops:
Do you know what could be causing the black objects?
Black objects normally mean its an object using FS9 material settings for transparency, which will display black in FSX.
Mark
F-16

Post by F-16 »

Ok, thanks for the info.
Is there a way to fix this?
I presume so, because other FSX users don't seem to be having this problem.
Thanks for the help.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

F-16 wrote:Ok, thanks for the info.
Is there a way to fix this?
I presume so, because other FSX users don't seem to be having this problem.
Thanks for the help.
Fix is not really the right saying, as it's not broken. The scenery is only designed for FS9, not FSX. There are ways to convert scenery, but if your not an advanced user I would not recommend it.

It's explained more on this other forum below.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showth ... p?t=128039
Mark
F-16

Post by F-16 »

Yep ok.
Im not sure why this is happening, because I have installed all other MAIW Scenery this way and haven't had this problem.
I said fix because it doesn't seem to be working properly, as other FSX users seem to be coping fine.
If anybody else could help me I would be majorly grateful.
Thanks.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Could you post a screen shot as it could also be textures you are missing.
Mark
F-16

Post by F-16 »

Here is a screenshot.
Attachments
Black objects
Black objects
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Well thats really strange, the objects that should be black in FSX (Trees and Fence) are displaying correctly and the rest is not. Never seen that before, very weired.
Mark
F-16

Post by F-16 »

Yeah I know....not too sure what is wrong...
Maybe I should delete and reinstall the Addon Scenery files?
Thanks for your continued support and interest.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I could be wrong but those black objects look like trees, from a different library. My guess is that you haven't got all the required textures there.
Steve
F-16

Post by F-16 »

Firebird,
It is the buildings, ground vehicles and other objects.
In the picture you can see a normal tree there, as they are showing correctly.
How do I find out which textures I'm missing?
Thanks again.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

You need a program such as procmon, which is available as part of the sysinternals suite from Microsoft. You then have to set it up to report errors only from FSX.exe and then play around around with the highlight settings to highlight the errors you are really interested in, such as path containing 'Barksdale' (if your scenery folder path contains that exact text).

Then with procmon running you load up FSX and go to Barksdale and wait and see the errors. A couple of notes here. One using the tool will slow the loading time and two there are a lot of errors normally so you really must use highlight or you will miss the ones you actually care about.
Now all texture searches start at an addon folder first, then go to the global texture folders so you may find errors are reported but they are found later in the global texture folder.

Of finally you have to yaw all around the base or it won't find all the missing textures, as some will be hidden from view and therefore won't be looked for and therefore won't show up as errors.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

If the scenery is custom made, then the author will know what texture is used, or a simple screen shot of the texture folder will help a user determine what's missing. If the scenery is made from object libraries installed into a shared Static Objects folder, you can load the placement .bgl into ModelConverterX and work through the objects it finds one at a time and look at the Object Info tab. It will tell you the texture name for the object. The problem with that is although the program displays a 3-D image of the object, you can't be sure it's the object that's missing the texture in the scenery, because it's just going to render black, but the shape might help you narrow it down.

The other way that might correct the problem is to re-install the textures, either from the custom package, if that's where they come from, or from the required object libraries if the scenery was made that way. I had the same black un-textured problem with an object in Brian's RAF Benson scenery, but having re-installed the textures from the libraries I managed to correct the problem for that particular object. There's likely to be a number of libraries required, but you might not have to re-install the textures for all of them. Just keep going until you find the problem corrected. That might be quicker than having to work with procmon or ModelConverterX.

There's just an outside chance that you are very unlucky, if like me, you have a huge number of library files. One or more of the objects in the libraries might just have the same texture name, but in different libraries. Only one will be present in the texture folder if it's shared and depending on what order you installed the libraries, it may not be the right one. I've just hit that problem with some objects I designed for Brian that he wanted in a library file. I inadvertently used a texture name that was already in use in another library. My texture displayed fine until it got over-written by another one with the same name. I then had to re-assign a new texture name to the models and re-generate a new library for Brian.

John
F-16

Post by F-16 »

John,
Thanks, I will try to sort it out, will get back to you.
I might try the reinstall, hopefully will sort out where I went wrong...
Thanks,
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

Hey you might want to just remove this FS9 scenery for KBAD altogether and go get Allen Laughmillers' version 2 of Barksdale AFB. He just released it on AVSIM here in the last day or so. He added parking and what-not in order to optimize it for this MAIW package.

Victory103 put me onto this guy last year -- he does put out some decent scenery.

Decide for yourself ---> http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=182120
F-16

Post by F-16 »

Hello Ripcord,
I seem to have a problem with Avsim, whenever I click to download anything off there, it goes to the page, but in a few seconds changes to a screen saying "this page can't be displayed".
It then doesn't download anything.
Not sure what is wrong here.
Thanks.
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

Then just search yourself on AVSIM -- either 'KBAD' or 'Laughmiller'. You find it (though be sure you get version 2).