The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

MAIW traffic trouble

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
lancer27
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

MAIW traffic trouble

Post by lancer27 »

Hi, I recently got a new computer with Win7 and installed FSX Gold Edition and of course many of my favorite MAIW packages. I (for whatever reason still eludes me) decided to install the MAIW packages without the steps in Martin Gossmann's installation manual. I have discovered that MAIW packages of version 1 installed cleanly into FSX. Eglin, Duke Field, Tyndall, Florida Orions, Corpus Christi etc all had tarmacs with a very reasonable amount of a/c and were landing and taking off just fine. As I began installing MAIW packages of later versions, 2 and 3, I got fantastic scenery with trucks and fuel tanks etc...but no a/c, (no traffic) For example: Mountain Home, Seymore Johnson, Andrews AFB, and on a few rare occasions.. version 1 bases like Pensacola and Hill AFB had no a/c as well. Even packages without scenery had no a/c that showed up...Seaboard ANG v2 and Great Lakes ANG part 1 v2. And in using AI Flight planer, I experienced no problems in converting FS9 traffic files to FSX, ie aircraft showing up red due to not being in the sim objects-airplane folder. So, I was wondering if the lack of traffic in some of the newer versions of MAIW's packages could be attributed to the fact that I did not follow Martin Gossmann's manual and if that is so, how is it that the earlier versions seem fine?
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Re: MAIW traffic trouble

Post by gsnde »

Hi Lancer,

This sounds like the result of mixing FS9 and FSX compiled traffic files (flight plans).
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by lancer27 »

Hi, Hmm, I used AI Flight planner 2.2.17 and to my knowledge, I can not remember any aircraft coming up "red" in the window before I pressed the button to compile the flight plans. All of them seemed to be transferred from MAIW's aircraft folder to FSX's sim objects-airplanes folder OK. I am baffled why there are flights landing and taking off from Whiting Field and Duke and Eglin but not the others. :roll: I also seemed to have noticed that I am having duplicate aircraft at some of the bases: NAS Oceana had nothing there but 2 Whiting Field T-6's with the same numbers and markings on them and NAS FT Worth had 3 F-16's out of the 5 or 6 that showed up there with the same numbers and markings on them. And even crazier is that there was a Beechcraft Baron 58 (FSX AI traffic) on the tarmac at MCAS Beaufort along with only 2 F-18's that showed up there :roll:
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

There is a difference between the required parking spot size between FS9 and FSX. Since you have done all the flight plan conversion, the spot size might be causing this issue. Do you know how to check if the parking radius for some of your empty airports is sufficient?
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by lancer27 »

I haven't gotten the foggiest idea :roll:
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

You need two applications. Jon Masterson's Airport Design Editor to open the airport and check the size of the parking spots. (http://www.scruffyduck.org). To see the needed parking spot size for an aircraft you can use my AI Aircraft Editor (http://www.owlsnest.eu). Try if that gets you started.
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by lancer27 »

Hi, I have downloaded the 2 applications you suggested. Reading the manuals (quite over-whelming for me) I decided to give the AI Flight Planner on last try to see if there were any FS9 traffic files in FSX somewhere like you suggested earlier. After directing AIFP to Microsoft Games-Microsoft Flight Simulator....low and behold there was a FS9 traffic file in FSX that was not converted to FSX! It was in the optional file that came with the MAIW Andrews AFB v3, SBANG update. I wonder now, do I delete my old SBANG package and replace with the update or do I just replace the old SBANG traffic file with the update from the Andrews package?
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

Use AIFP to convert the offending traffic file. Compile it as an FSX traffic file and remove the old one. Voila.
lancer27
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lancer27 »

Hi, I converted the update optional traffic file that came with Andrews AFB v3 for SBANG and deleted the old SBANG and still no joy for traffic at Andrews AFB except for a Grand Banks KC-135 and its copy :roll: Since I have installed most packages, the bases that at first was empty, now seem to have duplicate a/c at them (1 a/c and its copy) Still, better than no a/c at all, but it would be neat to see a full tarmac and traffic landing and taking off. I am wondering how I may of gotten copies of traffic files when I only installed 1 package at a time and no packages twice (as far as I know) :roll: