The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Hesitant about Cannon AFB install

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
lancer27
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Hesitant about Cannon AFB install

Post by lancer27 »

Hi, I have noticed that Hulbert AFB and Cannon AFB have a few of the same resident squadrons in their packages. The 16th and 73rd SOS are based at Hulbert but are also present in the Cannon AFB package. I have Hulbert installed now without any problems but I was wondering if problems would arise from them being installed at the same time? Wouldn't there be a conflict with flight plans or duplicate aircraft? If any problems do arise, how may they be fixed? Any and all help/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Richard
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Hesitant about Cannon AFB install

Post by Firebird »

If the aircraft titles are exactly the same then the aircraft will appear at both places at the same time. The way it works is that the flightplans are loaded according to the aircraft titles. As long as the titles themselves are not duplicated there will not be a problem. So you could have a set of plans for them based at Cannon and a set for them based at Hurlburt and they will both appear.
What will confuse things is if you have the same aircraft title twice. The system doesn't know which one to load and therefore the aircraft won't appear any where.
This would be the case if you have duplicates in the same aircraft.cfg file or the same entry in two different aircraft.cfg files.
Does this help you?
Steve
lancer27
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lancer27 »

Hi, so I will not have any problems if the aircraft titles are different. How may I ask would I go about changing the aircraft titles (in the Cannon AFB package for example) to be different from the C-130's in the Hulbert package?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

You would need to go into all of the aircraft folders that you have for Cannon AFB and amend each aircraft.cfg file using your favourite text editor.
What you need to do is to alter all of the 'title' parms for each aircraft you wish to duplicate. Each person has their own system that they use for personalizing. Some squadrons/wings have their own tail code which makes things easier and some do not.
For me, examples of my alterations were as follows for the two C-130 sqns :-
HTAI_Lockheed_MC-130W_Combat_Spear_USAF_73_87-9286
HTAI_Lockheed_AC-130H_Spectre_USAF_16_69-6568

However anything will suffice as long as there are no duplicates.

Next you will need to alter the flightplans. You must alter the 'Aircraft' txt file to reflect the title changes you have made and then recompile.

Now this supposes one big thing here and that you have two separate folders for C-130s, one for Hurlburt and one for Cannon.
If you have lumped all the C-130s of the same type into one folder then you need not bother. You just have to ensure that there are no dupes in that one aircraft.cfg file using a similar technique.

As a final note, if the aircraft schemes and serials are exactly the same for two bases then you need not bother doing anything. The reason is that although they are flying from different bases using different bgls they would be using the aircraft titles and schemes and so no mods are necessary.

Hopefully this is clear.
Steve
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

One other detail to consider.. Unless you are wanting to run a retro setup, all the 16th and 73rd SOS aircraft should no longer be at Hurlbert at all as they are no longer there.

The reason they appear in both packages is that they were stationed at Hulbert when that package was produced (2009ish I think), but moved to Cannon when that package was produced (2011ish I think).
lancer27
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lancer27 »

Hi, I have installed Cannon and gone into Cannons aircraft.cfg and changed the titles of all C-130's (just the last 4 numbers in the serial number) and I have also changed the numbers to the texture folders to match the aircraft changed in the aircraft.cfg. I am however finding the aircraft txt file more difficult to locate. Any thoughts on where the aircraft txt file may be hiding?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yes, it is in the \Military AI Works\USA\USAF\Cannon AFB folder created from the installation.
Steve
lancer27
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lancer27 »

Hi, I found the txt file and made all the changes and Success!!! All works well!!! Thank you for all your help and support.