The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Updated FSX Native HTAI C-130 Family

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
Mark_Fox
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: Updated FSX Native HTAI C-130 Family

Post by Mark_Fox »

I would like to offer my versions of alphas and light maps for the multiple versions of the C-130 I ran across in my collection. From my Read Me:
First, to give credit where credit is due:

Credits: Gavin Cole (gavinc)
Graham Eccleston (ggeccles)
Tony RD (peluso5)

and Henry Tomkiewicz, for his original model available at http://htai-models.com/downloads.html and the permission he gave the three guys above to create their work.

I have been actively following Tony, Gavin and Graham's FSX model additions for FSX AI aircraft. I am a former C-130E/H & HC-130P crew chief, so that really caught my attention.

Using Tony's videos on how to add alpha channels to create FSX light maps, I set about to do that to my collection of C-130s. I have approximately 350 C-130s, ranging from AC-130Hs to WC-130Js and the L-100-300. I found that there are many variations of window positions, quantity and type within even a single variation (ie C-130H). I ended up modifying/creating 43 different alphas as well as 5 modified C130*_l.dds textures.

The new alphas are based on locations found using Photoshop at over 900% magnification. Rectangular windows are now incorporated in the correct fuselage positions (paratroop doors, near FS 265, etc. to include a larger scanner window on the right side of the AC-130Us). Round windows now have the correct quantity and position per side. In addition, if a model uses the green position lights (see HC-130P based on the C-130E model), the alpha has had those added; for those who choose not to run position lights, those alphas are indicated by the words "..no PL alpha.bmp". Also, I removed the inadvertant placement of a light on the APU exhaust on the left side of the appropriate fuselage that was in the original release (that one took me several hours to realize what it was).

I modified the Main FSX Texture folder textures to incorporate green postion lights, the large scanner window on the AC-130s and to ensure any newly added windows/lights are incorporated with lighting at night. Again, the no PL alpha, if added to your texture, will not show the green position lights.

NAMING: I named the alphas the way I knew the aircraft and have them separated in my AI aircraft folder. For example, C-130H alpha.bmp, HC-130P 4R 4L alpha.bmp, etc.

Descriptors:

*R = number of Round windows right side of fuselage
*L = number of Round windows left side of fuselage
Lg = large
SM = small
no PL = no position lights
RPD = Rectangular Paratroop Door windows
* Rect = number rectangular windows each side

Use the same instructions Tony provided http://www.alpha-india.net/forums/index ... #msg246443) to use these alphas (reposted here for specific emphasis):

Some notes:

3.- To have cabin lights working you must add the included alpha channel in all your repaints
4.- The included xxx_L texture goes to the main FSX texture folder, to save HD space. You can delete the old texture, not needed any more
7.- The C-130J & C-130J-30 have "green slime" formation lights enabled. These formation lights may be in slightly different places on different repaints. You may need to adjust the alpha channel to reflect your specific repaint.

Other Notes:
Alphas are all saved as 32bit BMP.
L-100-200 are not added as I do not have them in my fleet.
All positions of windows and position lights are my own doing so don't blame anyone but me. It was also my first serious go at Photoshop.
Thanks to Tony for providing those videos on how to add alphas and create/modify lightmaps.

Enjoy!
Mark

EDIT: Link to file at dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n548p3kwtz7ea ... X.zip?dl=0
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: FSX

Post by gavinc »

Thanks for all these alphas Mark.

It was probably more work that the original conversions.

Gavin
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks Mark, grew up with the Herc and impressed you took the time to do these. I also have every HTAI Herc in the sim so this will take some time.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Mark_Fox
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Mark_Fox »

Thanks guys.

It was my first true intro to PS. That being said, all error are mine alone, but I got better as I went.
Severin

Post by Severin »

Thank's a lot guy's
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

First of all I just want to say thanks to all who are converting these aircraft for FSX/P3D. I'm using P3Dv4 and there is no going back for me so it's nice to get these AI aircraft in the sim and hopefully more will be available in the future.

Today I finally began installing some Military AI and I started with the new Davis-Monthan AFB package since everything already should be FSX/P3D compatible. I got the aircraft all in and everything looks good. What I have come across is an annoying smoke effect that I am sure is only happening in P3D (although I can't test FSX). This seems similar to the afterburner effect problems that were occurring with P3D before on some other military aircraft.

I've attached a couple of video links because I think the problem shows best in a video. The smoke effect looks ok up close but as you increase the distance it looks like a huge blob on the ground and in the sky. Is there any solution to this short of finding the offending effects file and deleting it? I thought I had read before that deleting fx files can cause other problems like stuttering as the sim is looking for an effect that is not there. I don't know how true that is or not. I am not sure how to fix the effect file. Anyone else seeing this or have a solution?

Video 1 -

Video 2 -

Brandon
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

That's an easy fix to remove on that particular model. Just find these lines in the aircraft.cfg file and delete them:

light.11=7, -5, -33.8, 4, fx_nicksmokeAI_lrglear-MD-7X
light.12=7, -5, -16.8, 4, fx_nicksmokeAI_lrglear-MD-7X
light.13=7, -5, 16.8, 4, fx_nicksmokeAI_lrglear-MD-7X
light.14=7, -5, 33.8, 4, fx_nicksmokeAI_lrglear-MD-7X
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

Thanks for the fix....that took care of the issue.

Brandon
JosefK
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by JosefK »

Thanks for getting these converted to FSX/P3D! About to make the leap into P3D, so really appreciate the conversion!