The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

P3d4.1 Ready Hornets?

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

P3d4.1 Ready Hornets?

Post by Woogey »

Hello Friends,

Are there plans to update or create a New F/A-18 to P3d4.1 Standards? With John Youngs F-35C's coming to Lemoore, It's going to look kind of empty without the Super Hornets filing up the base. Which brings up a good point, Lemoore does not have any "Legacy" Bugs left, all Squadrons have converted to Super Hornets (F/A-18E & F/A-18F).

-Woog
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: P3d4.1 Ready Hornets?

Post by John Young »

I think I mentioned that in the F-35 thread Woog. I'd came to the same conclusion as you with Lemoore populated by only 5 F-35Cs in P3Dv4.

Time is the barrier of course with a lot of work to do at the moment, unless there's a conversion that can be done more quickly.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

There are nearly always ideas or plans to do something. That doesn't mean that anything will actually get done which is why we don't answer questions like that.
All that happens is somebody will bump the thread in a couple of months and ask hows it going, closely followed by comments of disappointment.

I can understand the emptiness of the world w/o your favourite stalwarts in it. This is why I have decided that I am not going to go to P3D until there is sufficient P3D AI to make it worth my while.
Each person has to choose their own path. What I will not be doing is putting pressure on modellers to update or create fresh models for that platform. I will have to wait and I am comfortable with that.

If I ever get time and help to start updating models for FSX/P3D then I will in essence be helping myself. However, I will say that unless you are a modeller it is very difficult to get that first one done. If it was easy and only took a couple of hours by following a guide then I would already have done so.

To paraphrase Sir Hugh Dowding in the Battle of Britain *What we need are more modellers".
Steve
Reggie
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by Reggie »

If your system can handle it, there are many repaints of the FSX Acceleration Hornet to at least give you some representation in P3Dv4.1. I’ve got six aircraft each from VFA105, 106, 83, 34, 143, and the Blue Angels 1-6 At NAS Oceana. They work well and I only have a 4 Mb 1050ti video card.

Reggie
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Firebird wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 17:41 There are nearly always ideas or plans to do something. That doesn't mean that anything will actually get done which is why we don't answer questions like that.
Thank you for this detailed reply Firebird. It is posts like this that help me to see from a perspective that I had not considered yet. I think your plan is sound, however I had no choice but to uninstall FSX as it just stopped working for me. No matter how many times I tried to uninstall it and then get a fresh download from Steam, it does not work anymore for me. I have never owned FS9, as my simulation journey only just began in 2011 with a hardcopy purchase of the VRS Superbug I found on the shelf at my local Fry's Electronics Superstore. With Lockheed Martins move to 64bit with P3d4+ it seemed like a no brainer, but reality has meant a lesson in patience as my favorite developers have been able to catch up. We are almost there, and John Young has done a bang up job at giving us a lot of great Ai to fill those voids. My retro USAFE world is quite stocked up and performing very nicely indeed.

Of Note: I did try to recompile the NBAI Super Hornets for Lemoore for my own personal pleasure with less than stellar results. All moving surfaces flipped around, animations not working, Opaque canopies etc.

-Woog
2018-1-10_11-40-18-208.jpg
2018-1-10_11-40-41-83.jpg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Yeah, there are a lot of subtle steps involved in converting, this much I have learned.
There are some very clever people involved who have got to grips with the process and they are progressing and learning all the while. Trouble is that they have their own agenda and it is not for us to try to impose our needs on them.
Maybe they will eventually turn there attention to other models that will be of benefit to us until then we have to figure it out.
Steve
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Woogey wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 06:10 Of Note: I did try to recompile the NBAI Super Hornets for Lemoore for my own personal pleasure with less than stellar results. All moving surfaces flipped around, animations not working, Opaque canopies etc.

-Woog

Woog,

The NBAI Super Hornets work fine in P3D v3.4 except for the afterburner effect which can be modified with a few compromises to look marginally acceptable, but as you have found out they are totally unacceptable for use in v4.1. :(
    Mike M.
    Greg
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Mike, any chance you could elaborate on those afterburner modifications?
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Greg wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 16:04 Mike, any chance you could elaborate on those afterburner modifications?

Certainly Greg, but I can't right now since I have a commitment very shortly, but I will do it as soon as I have time.
      Mike M.
      mikewmac
      MAIW Veteran
      MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Greg wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 16:04 Mike, any chance you could elaborate on those afterburner modifications?
      Greg,

The two problems I found in P3D v3.4 and 4.1 were the burner flame cone was approximately half the diameter that it should have been and the diameter of burner rings inside the burner can expanded in diameter about 2X creating the appearance of a fireball as soon as AI fighters were a relatively short distance away from my viewing point.

For the first problem I made the following changes to Steve's fx_nbai_F15_ab.fx file. First I doubled the X and Y scale settings for all the particles and for the second problem I simply removed fx_burner1.bmp, fx_burner2.bmp, fx_burner3.bmp and fx_aniburner1b.bmp from all the texture= entries that had them. These are the four textures that the burner rings use and by removing them problem two went away.

This AI afterburner effect modification is a bit tedious and it reduces the realism of the burner can interior when viewed closely, but it does give a much more correctly sized burner flame. This is at best a compromise, but I couldn't stand watching John's JYAI F-15C's or FSX converted HTAI F-16C's and D's turning into fireballs shortly after they left the runway when watching from my KBTV tower cab. :lol:
        Mike M.
        Greg
        MAIW Admin
        MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Yeah it's extremely annoying and either LM are completely ignoring the issue they introduced in v3.4, or they forgot to inform everyone how to properly code effects now. The light effects growing over distance are another example.

I'll give this a try, thanks!
        MIKE JG
        MAIW Developer
        MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Anyone ever tried contacting LM to bring these issues up? I'm just curious what if any support they have of their product??
        -Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
        gsnde
        MAIW Admin
        MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I did when this issue first occurred. But it never was solved.
        Cheers,
        Martin