The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Orbx Problems with MAIW Scenery

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
jpf813
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Orbx Problems with MAIW Scenery

Post by jpf813 »

Hello,

I just purchased Orbx Global Base, Global Vector and LC North America to spruce up my scenery in FSX.

To my shock, now since it adds elevations some of MAIW packages are messed up, either terrain is overlaping the runway at DOVER AFB or at Kadena the runways look like they are in a canyon, any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Jon
airplanedoktor
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: Orbx Problems with MAIW Scenery

Post by airplanedoktor »

Hi,

Most developers design their scenery to the default configuration of the simulator, including terrain mesh, or vectors, as they have no way of knowing what each individuals sim configuration is, or what addons they have.

In this case, you"ll need to run the Airfield Elevation Correction (AEC) Tool in FTX Vector. Open the ORBX Folder in FSX. Under FTX VECTOR, You'll find the FTX GLOBAL VECTOR Configuration Tool application. You can run that, and you'll see a tab called Airfield Elevation Correction. You can run it automatically, or select the individual airfield that you want to disable it for from the drop down menu.

Another issue I have found using ORBX, is that every-time you run FTX Central, trees may appear at airports that you have addon scenery enabled for. If this happens, have a look at the terrain.cfg entries [texture.264] to [texture.267].I had to change the "ExcludeAutogen=No" to "Yes". That should get rid of the trees. May need to do it again after running FTX Central, or updating their products.

Hope that helps,

Darren
Manschy
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Re: Orbx Problems with MAIW Scenery

Post by Manschy »

Most issues with bad looking airfields after installing ORBX are caused by simultaneously installed AFCAD files. Not only elevation problems but also different objects that appear at wrong places.
There is a way to correct this:

Go to ....FSX/ORBX/FTX_NA (or the appropriate landclass folder that contains your scenery file). There you find the scenery folder. Open it and have a look if your scenery ICAO is listed (for example ADE_FTX_ENG_EGXC, that's in the ORBX LC England addon). So if you detect the default ORBX ICAO of your MAIW scenery addon, disable it by changing the filename extension like b_OFF_gl. That garantees ORBX can't reed this AFCAD (AF2) file anymore. IMPORTANT: Don't use ADE_FTX_ENG_EGXC.OFF, just because in different ways, ORBX can ignore the OFF in your file extension and load the file nevertheless.

Okay, scroll down a lot further and you will find another file regarding your ICAO, that's FTX_ENG_EGXC_objects.bgl in this example. This file contains a lot of objects (or library bgls you don't need in your MAIW scenery :wink: ) .
Do the same here like above - and furthermore for all your addon sceneries that you installed.

A little effortful to my opinion (especially because it shouldn't be necessary on a such complex developped addon bundle like ORBX), but in my case, this procedure solved my issues by 100 %.

Hope this helps a little :wink:
Regards, Manfred.