The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FS9 Scenery Conversion to P3D

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
jpf813
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

FS9 Scenery Conversion to P3D

Post by jpf813 »

Hello,

This is more of a general question to the direction of a lot of the developers out there.

Why is it that a lot of the MAIW developers keep producing high quality scenery bases just for FS9 and not for P3D?

Like recently Westover AFRB, looks great but it wont even work in P3D without spending forever trying to convert it.

Will these bases be included in the matrix somewhere down the line?

Thanks,

Jon
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: FS9 Scenery Conversion to P3D

Post by Firebird »

Hi Jim,
The reason is very simple. Some developers only have FS9.
As you say Brian's' Westover and Fairchild sceneries are very good.

For scenery to be included as part of Matrix they need to be in P3D format and we have to have permission from the author.

Brian is probably amenable to that, I do not know for certain though, but at the moment the conversion team's main focus is on aircraft. As the project moves forward things like third party scenery could very well come into focus. The scenery conversions that are being done at the moment are conversions from our own packs plus integrating scenery that is P3D compatible where we have permission.

Most things in life come down to either cost or manpower, and it's manpower with us. I hope this answers your question if not completely satisfying.
Steve
jpf813
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by jpf813 »

Very Satisfying and thanks for the prompt response.

Look forward to those all of those awesome sceneries in the future for the matrix.

All the best,

Jon
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by RKE »

For what it's worth, I find converting FS9 scenery to P3D to be a breeze, and definantly something that gets easier with practice. Since MATRIX has conversions of a majority of the military libraries already, I don't have to spend much time converting those, so it's usually just a matter of disabling the files that don't play well with P3D, running the AFD file through Airport Design Editor, creating flatten & airport background polys, and recompiling, and that's that.

FWIW, converting the Westover scenery (including the two object BGL's and associated textures) took me about 10 minutes, and that's while having a conversation with a close friend on Messenger at the same time.

Edit: And speaking of the Westover scenery, it's missing a texture file for the included hangar object. I can't find an associated forum thread, so I'll have to mail Brian directly.