The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Installing MAIW packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Installing MAIW packages in FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

I thought I'd better start a new topic for this so people can find my guide more easily. It should also help me keep track of changes and upload the latest version of the guide.

Edited to remove the guide.

I suggest you use Martin Gossman's guide Found here. It has been developed to a far better level than I could have managed. And in English! :mrgreen:
Last edited by CelticWarrior on 09 Dec 2009, 16:15, edited 7 times in total.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
ofcbill
Cadet
Cadet

MAIW Guide for FSX

Post by ofcbill »

It looks great.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

V1.2 uploaded.

I'd like to thank FlyFE for pointing the error out.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Keith Jones
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by Keith Jones »

Hi Cary. Just downloaded your instructions for converting MAIW stuff for fsx and I cannot get hold of the FP_FS9_FSX utility as the site seems to have gone! Any chance you could make the file available for members here?

Thanks very much.
Where ever you go, there you are.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Keith Jones wrote:Any chance you could make the file available for members here?
Keith, thanks for pointing that out! I've also tried all the links to Peter's site and they all appear to be down. I'll look into the legalities of uploading his file.

Cary
FlyEF
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Flightplan converter

Post by FlyEF »

I'm using the converter bglfpfsxconvert you can download http://lc0277.nerim.net/bglfpfsxconvert.zip
The original traffic, the boat traffic, my own traffic-files - built with TTools and bglfpfsxconvert - and all of the converted maiw-files are working fine.

Horst
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Peter's site is down temporarily because the flurry of downloads has caused the site to exceed it's bandwidth limit (I didn't realise my guide was so popular! :wink: ).

I'm assured the site will be back on the 21st when the monthly limit is reset. In the meantime I've asked if I can post the file on this site. Standby for more as it comes along.

I don't want to offer to email it in case this against his wishes.

Wait, out.
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

Hey CW, great tutorial there,
maybe you would try to post this to Avsim to FSX Misc folder?
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Rysiek,

Thanks very much. Before I post it anywhere else I'd like to make sure that all canopy and prop textures (another anomoly just discovered) can been sorted. Your A-10 was one of the models, but I haven't had chance to check it with SP2 yet. Which is why I'm keen for as much input (call it beta checking if you like) as I can get. Once it's finalised I'd like to add screenshots and make a PDF out of it.

You might also want to take a look at your C-17, there are some things poking out of the right side of the fuselage under the wing in FSX.

Cary
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

Geeeee, Cary, I know that C-17 needs some "face lifting" as well, I was not so brave to put any AI into my FSX DX10 yet though.

Barely no aircraft shows properly in FSX DX10, apart from default ones :?
Some model "critical mass" is needed to move to FSX, I calculate the time to not less than two years again ...
We have quite a bunch of FSXes as well:
1. FSX "just out of the box"
2. FSX SP1
3. FSX SP2 DX9
4. FSX SP2 DX10
5. FSX Acceleration DX9
6. FSX Acceleration DX10
A system platform may add a difference as well: XP, Vista 32-bit, Vista 64-bit ...
==> :smt101
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

LOL

I love that last emoticon!
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Cary,

EditVoicepack v3.1 runs just fine on Windows Vista. I have tested it with Vista x86 (laptop) and Vista x64 + Vista x64 SP1 RC1 (desktop) and it runs flawlesly.

The problem from ChrisG (see other thread) must lie elsewhere...

Hope this helps,

Greg
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Thanks Greg.
Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

Just wanted to say thank you and well done on this tutorial. I've now installed all my old WOAI and current MAIW packs to FSX using the method you described (although I don't bother with installing Voicepacks), cheers! :D
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

If anyone is unable to download FP_FS9_FSX, here it is, with Peter's permission.
Last edited by CelticWarrior on 28 Jun 2009, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
scott1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by scott1 »

I'm having a problem finding the config file in question to edit it. Ican find up to my name but can't seem to locate Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg. thanks scott1
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

Application Data is a hidden folder, alter the folder properties so that you can see it.
Which way is up?
scott1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by scott1 »

Thanks. Found the file I needed. :D
Holy Cheese
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Holy Cheese »

Thanks for the nice tutorial Cary - just about to start putting all the packages into FSX, and have a question or two.

1) Am I right in assuming that Peter de Veen's AIFPC programme can be used instead of FP_FS9_FSX to convert the plans? I've been using AIFPC to convert all my WOAI packages.

2) Did you have to alter the flight plans to take into account the change of system in numbering the days from FS9 to FSX?

3) How about waypoints - is there any need to add these to an airports.txt file as in FS9?

4) You mention in the doc that people should make FSX AFCADS available when they prepare them for FSX - have any been done yet, and if so, where can they be found?

Many thanks for the help.

Jack
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Holy Cheese wrote:Thanks for the nice tutorial Cary
Thanks!
1) Am I right in assuming that Peter de Veen's AIFPC programme can be used instead of FP_FS9_FSX to convert the plans? I've been using AIFPC to convert all my WOAI packages.
I have no idea to be honest. However, there is no need to convert WOAI packages, their packages are already converted assuming you set the WOAI installer to install them appropriately. I understand that Peter is on the WOAI team, I believe it's his programmes that are used by them.
2) Did you have to alter the flight plans to take into account the change of system in numbering the days from FS9 to FSX?
That's what FP_FS9_FSX does.
3) You mention in the doc that people should make FSX AFCADS available when they prepare them for FSX - have any been done yet, and if so, where can they be found?
The only ones which I'm aware of are those posted on such sites as AVSIM and Flightsim.com. It was just a wish for people to help out and do some converting themselves, it's a time consuming task which I don't have that all important time for.

Cary