The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Installing MAIW packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Installing MAIW packages in FSX

Post by Firebird »

On the seeing AI planes in multiplayer, are you sure you should see them? It's been a couple of years since I did any online flying but if you went online then no AI showed up, only online aircraft.

I should mention that this was FSInn and FS9 but it was a well known fact.
Steve
DeepSea-Two-One
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by DeepSea-Two-One »

That is one of the changes in FSX.

FSX will allow the user to see AI aircraft on his own system while on multi-player, both the default GameSpy system built into FSX, and if using the FSHost FSX Connector to allow you to fly with FS2004 folks.

We have to turn off AI most of the time while flying multi-player in FSX because it makes it hard to identify the folks we are flying with.
Reggie Fields

The Story of US Navy VQ-1 PR-21 Callsign that day - DeepSea One Two Nine - http://www.willyvictor.com/History/Kore ... Korea.html

Aircraft photo - http://www.vpnavy.com/ec/vq1ec_02_17feb2002.jpg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thanks for that info. One up for FSX, but not enough to make me install it.
Steve
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Using AIFP2 now and looking at these posts, I converted the FS9 plans to FSX using the "Raw" selection and adding "_FSX" to the bgl's. On the conversion report I get "xxx was unused/ was not processed", but so far everything seems to be working and I got my stock traffic back (quickly removed anyway). Working mostly US based WOAI packages and following the MAIW FSX guide to port over my FS9 packages.

In my old FS9 days, I would use AFCAD2 to quickly check airport issues or duplicates, is everyone running ADE9x to do this? Anyone using FSX Planner?

Any issues running AF2/ADE/AFX files together in the Add On scenery folder?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

I use ADE9X if required to check files and I've had no issues with mixing files in the relevant folder.

Sometimes I have issues opening AFX files in ADE, but not often.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Using the recently released KMUO_FSX and wanted to get the MAIW Mountain Home package parking correct using the supplied AFX file. Is everyone changing the aircraft.cfg for parking assignments or using ADEX/AIFP to change wing spans for all your FS9 to FSX AI conversions?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
ricktk
Captain
Captain

Post by ricktk »

I used ADEX to load the AFX file and modified it according to mostly what MAIW did with their package, modifying parking sizes to fit FSX. I deleted the static aircraft, and swapped out the 390th for the 428th with some quick paint changes, but have them flying what MAIW had the 590th flying. Have added a few buildings and such, but my ad2 project file is 95% what Jim provided.
Rick

"Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check."
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks, still not up to speed on ADE9X as I was with AFCAD2. Downloaded all of the tools from Owl's Nest. I flew over the Saylor Creek range scenery with the same MAIW scenery from the 1-183rd AVN package active, the AFCADs for the MAIW range matched the designs of the photoreal, just slightly off on lat/long, pretty cool.

Saw something flash on the home page for the RSAF F-15's, so maybe I'll just wait to add the 428th FS.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

This is actually easy all you have to do is install it into your main directory and then just move the aircraft from the aircraft folder othe simobjects folder

:smt006
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Can anyone tell me where the scenery.cfg file is stored nowadays for FSX and can it be edited directly?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited to add two things - I'm using Win7-64 and also that I've found it :D
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
ricktk
Captain
Captain

Post by ricktk »

It is located in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX folder.
Rick

"Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check."
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Actually no, in Win7 it's in C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX :)
ricktk
Captain
Captain

Post by ricktk »

Sorry about that my answer was for Vista. One of these days will have to switch to 64bit Win 7.
Rick

CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

No problem, Rick, not your fault, Miscrosoft's ways are obtuse at best.

I'd wait for Win8, rather than jump in to 7. On the other hand, at least we now know something about 7! :lol:
Jason

Post by Jason »

Hi all.

I am new to the World of Flight sims and I struggle to do much more the turn the computer on and install the game.

To this end I have tried repeatedly to install and convert some of the Military AI plane to FSX and I have followed the installation guide and I must be stupid but I can convert anything.

Please can some one tell me if any of these MAIW files will be produced for FSX in the future or if there is a place where I can down load already converted files so I can have some military AI.

I would love the have RAAF Wiliamtown hornets and some C-17s and any other mil aircraft I can get my hands on.

Thanks in advance
Jason
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Welcome, Jason.

This is a question that comes up very frequently.

The reality is that we started for FS9 and the package producers and our users did not all make the transition to FSX, therefore we couldn't really switch from one to the other. Then MS announced that the FS range would be killed off and it doesn't really make much sense to move from one discontinued FS to another.
To a very large extent the guide that Martin has produced has helped a large number of FSXers convert our packages to that sim. It really is excellent.

We did discuss about doing dual packages but when we looked into it there were just too many issues really. Firstly, how does a FS9 producer check and/or fix problems inside a system he doesn't have? Secondly, all of our packages rely on the models. A lot were designed for FS9 only and so do/could have problems in FSX. Martin has come up with some fixes for some and the latest generation of our modellers are adding FSX compatible xml features where possible.

In short, currently there are no plans to change our package production but we will not say that we will always only ever do FS9. If circumstances of our hobby change in the future we will take them into account on how to move forward.

Now on the subject of your specific request you may find that some FSX sole will produce a small package just for you but more likely the members here will help you get what you need installed from the released package. The ethos of our organisation is to teach and encourage all. It is far better to teach you how install it rather than produce individualized solutions.

So maybe you could start by stating which OS you are running, it can make a difference to fixing the problem, and how far you have got into the guide and the problem that you are stuck on.
Steve
Jason

Post by Jason »

Thank you for that awesome explanation Firebird, I appreciate the time.

I have a Windows 7 OS and as mentioned I have FSX, I have tried to convert the files based on the list but I confused the hell out of myself and when I thought I was done nothing showed up, I have some assignments due over the next week or so, so I won't have time (Can't justify goofing off too much) to go over what I've tried so far, I 'll need to go back and try again and see where I get stuck, It has been a few months and about 17 assignments for my degree course ago and I cant remember much.

I will however try to post here what I've done and I will continue to try to help my self, I understand and accept what you say about teaching me instead of giving me, I agree, would still be nice though FSX is my escape and is all that is keeping me sane :wink: Once I've completed my assignments I'll have more time as well, if I haven't burnt out by then :wink:

Thanks again for your time and I look forward to learning as much as I can from this site, if other members are as helpful as you I think it will be an awesome place to be.

Thanks and kind regards
Jason