The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Support archive for MAIW Packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
dk1213
Major
Major
Version: FSX

Re: Support for MAIW Packages in FSX

Post by dk1213 »

Thanks for all your help. I tried it at 100% and seem to have what would be considered "Full" with every package I have installed, ie all of them. Do you guys have any links to the propeller replacement tool yet, or know if someone can send me the file? It doesnt download on the Owl's nest site or here. Also, are there any known scenery or afcad packages for Charleston AFB and Vance AFB? If you guys do any more packages, it would be awesome to see some Oceana scenery, or an East Coast ANG Package with Charleston included, and hitting up willow grove and patuxent nas, with a touch to Atlantic City intl and the other east coast hotspots. God I love the work you guys do, and would love to work with you guys. For now I will toss in any ideas I can lol.
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
xerxes
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FS9

Post by xerxes »

When you guys make a package such USN/USMC Airliners, do you make an AFCAD for every base these planes visit? I was wondering if I have to take apart the traffic file and look for every airport and see if I need an AFCAD for it or not.

Hopefully this hasn't been answered 10 times already. If so, could someone direct me to the right answer/link?

Thanks.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

It has but no worries, welcome to the boards BTW.

We do not provide afcads for each of the airports in a given traffic file, that task would be so huge, that we'd never get a single package done in a reasonable amount of time.

What we do however do is to provide an afcad file for each location that the AI will be based at. IOW if we have a package that has multiple units included in it, and those units are based at different locations, those locations will each have an afcad file supplied for them so that the AI will be visible in game.

Hope that helps.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
xerxes
Cadet
Cadet

Post by xerxes »

xerxes wrote:When you guys make a package such USN/USMC Airliners, do you make an AFCAD for every base these planes visit? I was wondering if I have to take apart the traffic file and look for every airport and see if I need an AFCAD for it or not.

Hopefully this hasn't been answered 10 times already. If so, could someone direct me to the right answer/link?

Thanks.
Please excuse this question, I found the answer.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

dk1213 wrote:...Do you guys have any links to the propeller replacement tool yet, or know if someone can send me the file? It doesnt download on the Owl's nest site or here...
As of today it can be downloaded again from The Owl's Nest. Sorry for that extremely overdue release date :roll:
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

OK can anyone help me with FSX MAIW and a UT2 install...???

I installed exactly as per guide listed here for FSX but can't get a single military plane to show up anywhere?

I can pick the MAIW A/C via the UT2 interface/control panel as I would to add additional add-on a/c, so I know they are in the sim but they just don't show up at all.

Is there a .bgl conflict between the two add-ons and does the UT2 add-on override the MAIW add-on packages generating Military AI flights?

Do I have to add the MAIW a/c via the UT2 control pael under "Commercial" or "GA" traffic before they will show up?

THANKS!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

As far as we are aware the two don't conflict, with one canceling the other out. If anything you are more likely to get your traffic load increased, if UT2 adds to our full base traffic.
I am assuming that you have converted the traffic file file to an FSX one, if so the most common cause of traffic not showing up is that there is an FS9 traffic file on your system. If this is the case then FSX traffic files quite often don't show up.

I am also assuming that you have your AI traffic load set to 100% to at least test it.

Also you don't mention which package is causing you the problem.
Steve
Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

Firebird wrote:As far as we are aware the two don't conflict, with one canceling the other out. If anything you are more likely to get your traffic load increased, if UT2 adds to our full base traffic.
I am assuming that you have converted the traffic file file to an FSX one, if so the most common cause of traffic not showing up is that there is an FS9 traffic file on your system. If this is the case then FSX traffic files quite often don't show up.

I am also assuming that you have your AI traffic load set to 100% to at least test it.

Also you don't mention which package is causing you the problem.

FSX Settings: Commercial slider at 100%, GA at 100%.

I only have "Eglin AFB and Patrick AFB" both in Florida currently installed... Do I need more AFB's installed to have the Mil AI traffic appear (do they need both to and from AFB's installed)?

What about the Add-on Scenery/Scenery files do I need to place all of them into the corresponding FSX folder (i've tried with no joy). I noticed some of the files have "DEFAULT" and "exclude" in the file names and they all begin with MAIW. Do I need to convert these files to FSX format or just drop them into the FSX folder as I've done?

I converted the "Traffic_MAIW_Eglin AFB_FSX" and "Traffic_MAIW_USAF Patrick AFB package_Su07_FSX" files to FSX format with the "Aifp" utility and it seemed to work producing the aforementioned files which i placed in the corresponding FSX folder.

Also I have a "Traffic_HTAI_CSEP.bgl" file in my Scenery/World/Scenery" folder for my HTAI add-on planes... Could this be causing the FS9 conflict. How do I know if I have any old FS9 Traffic files in my FSX folder?

Thanks for taking the time to help me. :oops:
Dave YVR ATC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dave YVR ATC »

Could very well be your Traffic_HTAI_CSEP.bgl is still in FS9 format. You can remove it just to test if anything new shows up or convert it to FSX format.
Windows10 Home
Intel i7 8700K at 5ghz
32gb G.Skill DDR4/3200
EVGA RTX 3080 Ti SC
Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

Dave YVR ATC wrote:Could very well be your Traffic_HTAI_CSEP.bgl is still in FS9 format. You can remove it just to test if anything new shows up or convert it to FSX format.

Doh!

That was it!!!!

I just removed the HTAI traffic file. I wonder if it's better to remove it or convert the HTAI Traffic.bgl to FSX format? My HTAI A/C all still properly shop up (I'm guessing UT2 Traffic file overrides the HTAI one).

EDIT: With the HTAI Traffic file removed I'm getting some visibly missing HTAI A/C where just the lights/strobes show... I'm going to try to convert the HTAI Traffic.bgl to FSX format and see if it will make some of the HTAI AI A/C to properly show.

Now I'm wondering if there's a conflict between HTAI and MAIW? Maybe in the Effects folder? I did not override the effects textures however.

If I want to install sone of Jim Cook's AFCAD's for FSX which MIAW AFCAD files to I need to remove/delete from the corresponding FSX folder?

I noticed that some of the ramps/buildings aren't correctly placed possibly due to the MAIW FS9 AFCAD and if I remove all of the MAIW files/AFCAD's none of the Mil planes show up.

BTW. MIAW Look's amazing! :shock:

Loving the F-15C's all parked on the Ramp!
Dave YVR ATC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dave YVR ATC »

Make sure you don't have multiple afcads for one airport. Many of the MAIW cads will have issues in FSX as they weren't designed for FSX. Landclass, autogen and default buildings to name a few. Using Jim Cooks will work however you will loose the defined parking codes specific to the units as used in the MAIW cads.
Windows10 Home
Intel i7 8700K at 5ghz
32gb G.Skill DDR4/3200
EVGA RTX 3080 Ti SC
Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

Well, I've narrowed the problem down to the Traffic_HTAI_CSEP.bgl file of HTAI Add-on A/C in the FSX folder...

If I convert the Traffic_HTAI_CSEP.bgl file to an _FSX.bgl it doesn't work (I still get 1/4 invisible HTAI A/C with visible MAIW A/C) and if I remove it completely from the FSX folder, 1/4 of the HTAI Planes still show invisible, but the MAIW planes will show up... :cry:

I wonder why it won't work if I convert to_FSX format though?

There has to be a workaround to get both traffic files to work together?

I believe that the HTAI Traffic .bgl tells FSX where/when to place "Ski" and "Water" Floatplanes (so you don't get "Ski" Cessna's flying over Miami for example). When the file is gone or converted to FSX format I'm guessing HTAI can't tell where/when to place the aforementioned A/C versions and they show up as invisible (just taking a guess here though).

BTW I'm using UT2 interface to inject the HTAI planes into FSX by adding them individually via the UT2 Menu Interface.

I can't be the only one with HTAI and MAIW issues can I?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Kilo60 wrote:With the HTAI Traffic file removed I'm getting some visibly missing HTAI A/C where just the lights/strobes show... I'm going to try to convert the HTAI Traffic.bgl to FSX format and see if it will make some of the HTAI AI A/C to properly show.[/i]

Now I'm wondering if there's a conflict between HTAI and MAIW? Maybe in the Effects folder? I did not override the effects textures however.

If I want to install sone of Jim Cook's AFCAD's for FSX which MIAW AFCAD files to I need to remove/delete from the corresponding FSX folder?

I noticed that some of the ramps/buildings aren't correctly placed possibly due to the MAIW FS9 AFCAD and if I remove all of the MAIW files/AFCAD's none of the Mil planes show up.
OK well, you have made progress.
Now I am not sure what you are saying about 'visibly missing' aircraft, but I think you are trying to say that aircraft are invisible but the lights show. If I am correct then this is a known problem in FSX, with some older models, and you have to switch off aircraft shadows, I think. Googling around will reveal the solution if I am wrong, or some knowledgeable person may post the info here.
There can't be any conflict between MAIW and HTAI, we use HTAI models all the time.

If you are using MAIW packages you will get conflict if you use scenery that we do not specify or supply in the package. We can't possibly cover every option so we don't try. As we build packages for FS9 only, then any FSX addon scenery is almost certain to be in conflict. Only one afcad can possibly be used for each airfield so the choice of which one to use is a purely personal choice.
In simple terms, if you want the scenery and MAIW aircraft to show up then you will need an afcad that fits the scenery and has all the parking. Normally this means that you may have to make it yourself. However, you may get lucky and find that somebody else has already done this for themselves and is willing to share. Try asking in the Military AI Discussion forum.

I hope this helps.
Steve
Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

Firebird wrote:
Kilo60 wrote:With the HTAI Traffic file removed I'm getting some visibly missing HTAI A/C where just the lights/strobes show... I'm going to try to convert the HTAI Traffic.bgl to FSX format and see if it will make some of the HTAI AI A/C to properly show.[/i]

OK well, you have made progress.
Now I am not sure what you are saying about 'visibly missing' aircraft, but I think you are trying to say that aircraft are invisible but the lights show. If I am correct then this is a known problem in FSX, with some older models, and you have to switch off aircraft shadows, I think. Googling around will reveal the solution if I am wrong, or some knowledgeable person may post the info here.
There can't be any conflict between MAIW and HTAI, we use HTAI models all the time.

If you are using MAIW packages you will get conflict if you use scenery that we do not specify or supply in the package. We can't possibly cover every option so we don't try. As we build packages for FS9 only, then any FSX addon scenery is almost certain to be in conflict. Only one afcad can possibly be used for each airfield so the choice of which one to use is a purely personal choice.
In simple terms, if you want the scenery and MAIW aircraft to show up then you will need an afcad that fits the scenery and has all the parking. Normally this means that you may have to make it yourself. However, you may get lucky and find that somebody else has already done this for themselves and is willing to share. Try asking in the Military AI Discussion forum.

I hope this helps.
Yes, just strobes showing on flying/moving HTAI A/C and just shadows on ground for shut down/parked HTAI Aircraft. All of the MAIW Planes show up fine (completely visible) even the HTAI ones.

Never had an issue with Aircraft Shadows and any HTAI add-on civil planes causing invisibility...

It's definately the HTAI (Fs9?) version of the Traffic.BGL file, as I can remove it or convert to an _FSX.BGL Format and the HTAI Cessna's and Lear Jets all go invisible but the MAIW planes all show up. Tried it several times now and can create the problem at will.

I imagine that the HTAI Traffic file is probably disabling all of my FSX stock shipping though.

So it's either invisible HTAI planes and all MAIW showing or no MAIW planes and all HTAI planes visible. :cry:
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

I think you can find the solution but you'll have to work at it. That's the world of FSX and add-ons designed for FS9. You might have more luck at fs2004.com and checking out the FSX forums. There are lots of users there knowledgeable about FSX in general. We are pretty limited here in our experience with that game.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

The issue of FS9 traffic files conflicting with FSX files may be down to the programme you use to convert them. Some programmes only change the date format, whereas AIFP converts the file to FSX format and thus should make it 100% compatible.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

I seem to have discovered my problem!

I noticed the invisible turing AI A/C only when in the vicinity of KFLL (My local AP) and nowhere else...

Basically the FS9 ,AI add-on A/C, "Cast shadows on Ground" FSX setting wasn't an issue till I flew near my, home, add-on airport from FSDream Team: "KFLL"...

Apparently it's a known issue with their custom "Legacy" runway lighting
using an FS9 structure combined with FS9 add-on A/C in FSX (Strange since their FSX KFLL Scenery was built for FSX).

Somebody needs to come up with some Mil/GA AI A/C that's FSX compliant... Until then it looks like I'll have to run with shadows off.

Back to installing some more MAIW Packages!!! :smt003
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I'm glad that a cause has been found, and at least you can now work around it.
Steve
Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

I just wanted to give a BIG Thanks to everyone involved in this AWESOME Freeware Package...!!!

I appreciate all of the help and advice in getting this injected into my current FSX setup. :smt023

It's been running great and I'm amazed by the details in all the MAIW A/C (animated fighter pilots in F-15C's for eg.).

Thanks Again!
Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

Installed and Running Nellis in my FSX and it appears fine except for one issue that I can't seem to figure out?

I have these red lights all in a row in the air over the airbase. See below pic:

By null at 2010-01-09

I noticed that there are some additional .bgl files that I did not see need to be installed, mainly the AFB ones...
MAIW_Nellis_AFB_Flatten_LWM2.BGL

Do I need to put these somewhere to resolve this issue or is something else?

Thanks!

EDIT: OK I added the MAIW_Nellis_AFB_.BGL files except for the "Flatten" and got rid of the airborne red lights. I'm still confused on an FSX install if these AFB files should be installed and if so to what folder exactly (MAIW Scenery/Scenery or MAIW Airports/Scenery)?

Also, should the lights atop the poles look like this though? They look a little "flat" and have a dark blue square background that doesn't match anything but a dark blue sky... Just wondering if the lights were designed this way or if it's a FSX texture isue with the light bitmap:

By null at 2010-01-09