The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Support archive for MAIW Packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: Support for MAIW Packages in FSX

Post by MIKE JG »

Kilo the lights are designed that way on purpose to save polygons. The are just two flat polygons back to back that have a single sided texture on them. Because they are using an alpha channel in their texture, they do not display properly in FSX, along with the trees in the scenery.

I have offered to make the scenery as user friendly for FSX users as I can by editing some of the parts and pieces to work better in FSX. I can't test it out since I don't have FSX but if someone is willing to be the guinnee pig, I can try to fix the transparency issues of some of the scenery.

I believe, but don't quote me, that for FSX transparency, you simply need to flip the alpha channel for those objects (trees, lights). If you know how to do that, give it a shot. If not, let me know and I can post an altered texture file that I think will make them appear normally in FSX.

The other thing I notice in the picture in the background is the obstruction light on the top of that hangar appears to be on during the daytime. Again this might be an FSX vs. FS9 thing as they work fine in FS9. I wonder if there's a way to correct that as well.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Kilo60 »

MIKE JG wrote:Kilo the lights are designed that way on purpose to save polygons. The are just two flat polygons back to back that have a single sided texture on them. Because they are using an alpha channel in their texture, they do not display properly in FSX, along with the trees in the scenery.

I have offered to make the scenery as user friendly for FSX users as I can by editing some of the parts and pieces to work better in FSX. I can't test it out since I don't have FSX but if someone is willing to be the guinnee pig, I can try to fix the transparency issues of some of the scenery.

I believe, but don't quote me, that for FSX transparency, you simply need to flip the alpha channel for those objects (trees, lights). If you know how to do that, give it a shot. If not, let me know and I can post an altered texture file that I think will make them appear normally in FSX.

Sure I'd be willing to test the altered texture file... :)

What file(s) are involved and I can also try adjusting the alpha channel as I've done to make the FS9 props more transparent.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

This only takes a minute to do so FSX users can try these two texture files to fix the ramp lights transparency:

Simply drop these two textures into the main MAIW Nellis AFB (KLSV)/Texture folder and select "yes" to overwrite the old ones.

You may want to save the originals in a safe place for now before trying this mod.
Attachments
MAIW_Texture_Nellis_Ramp_Lights.zip
(6.83 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
-Mike G.

Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

MIKE JG wrote:This only takes a minute to do so FSX users can try these two texture files to fix the ramp lights transparency:

Simply drop these two textures into the main MAIW Nellis AFB (KLSV)/Texture folder and select "yes" to overwrite the old ones.

You may want to save the originals in a safe place for now before trying this mod.

Wow that was quick...

Talk about customer service.

I wish my Payware add-ons had such great Support. :smt003

Would you also happen to have an alternate texture file for the trees we/I could test?

Thanks Again!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Let me know the result of the textures for the lights first. If that works, I'll try to make one for the trees.
-Mike G.

Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

MIKE JG wrote:Let me know the result of the textures for the lights first. If that works, I'll try to make one for the trees.

OK.

I think it went the opposite way texture wise... :(

By null at 2010-01-10
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Well that shows you how much I know about FSX.

Someone will have to explain to me how transparency works in FSX vs. FS9, I know it uses a different color or method. But that's the extent of what I know about it.
-Mike G.

Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

What files are responsible for adding the Trees and Light Poles objects?

Maybe us FSX users could have the option not to install them until someone can adjust the objects to display properly in FSX?

Everything else looks great!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Yes you can remove them very easily without disturbing the rest of the scenery. Here are the three files you will want to remove from the main Nellis/Scenery folder:

MAIW_Nellis_Scenery_Objects_RampLights_E.bgl
MAIW_Nellis_Scenery_Objects_RampLights_W.bgl
MAIW_Nellis_Scenery_Objects_Trees.bgl
-Mike G.

Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

MIKE JG wrote:Yes you can remove them very easily without disturbing the rest of the scenery. Here are the three files you will want to remove from the main Nellis/Scenery folder:

MAIW_Nellis_Scenery_Objects_RampLights_E.bgl
MAIW_Nellis_Scenery_Objects_RampLights_W.bgl
MAIW_Nellis_Scenery_Objects_Trees.bgl

Got it. Thanks...

BTW: I just noticed I have a single F-15 now parked at EDDW_Breman AP in Germany with it's nose pertruding through the gas pumps. :shock:

I believe that this is the stock FSX AP and am wondering how this A/C got there?

Does this have something to do with the possible stock FSX AFCAD and will I see this problem randomly at other AP's?

Thanks.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

If you are talking about why the aircraft is there, then the answer is that MAIW doesn't know :?. I have used ACA2005 to look at my schedule for EDDW and the only military stuff going in there is some German AF transports.
My guess is that this is either a home made one or maybe you have one of these third party payware packages that creates traffic.

If you are asking if this problem will happen at other airports then possibly, according to the cause as above.

Now as to why its nose is in the gas pump then yes that will be due to the afcad. My guess is that it is not designed for an F-15. FSX picks up its aircraft size differently from FS9. FS9 the size is set in the mdl, in FSX the size is determined by the wingspan in the aircraft.cfg . This means that there could be quite a discrepancy between required sizes, for reasons that are a bit too technical for this thread.
Steve
clay
Cadet
Cadet

Nellis scenery question

Post by clay »

Is your guys' Nellis AFB scenery compadable with FSX?
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Re: Nellis scenery question

Post by nickblack423 »

Yes it is. Just follow the FSX installation guide you can find on http://www.interkultur.de/gossmann/fsx/fsdeveloper.php

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

The trees and ramp lights will look funny in FSX because they use the FS9 system for transparency. Other than that, everything else should look fine.
-Mike G.

Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

Firebird wrote:If you are talking about why the aircraft is there, then the answer is that MAIW doesn't know :?. I have used ACA2005 to look at my schedule for EDDW and the only military stuff going in there is some German AF transports.
My guess is that this is either a home made one or maybe you have one of these third party payware packages that creates traffic.

If you are asking if this problem will happen at other airports then possibly, according to the cause as above.

Now as to why its nose is in the gas pump then yes that will be due to the afcad. My guess is that it is not designed for an F-15. FSX picks up its aircraft size differently from FS9. FS9 the size is set in the mdl, in FSX the size is determined by the wingspan in the aircraft.cfg . This means that there could be quite a discrepancy between required sizes, for reasons that are a bit too technical for this thread.
Well, after some serious BSOD (Stop error 101) issues with my PC I noticed that a recent Restore Point strangely errased many of my A/C .cfg files from the respective A/C folders... I believe that was the problem now.

My new Dell XPS system now seems beyond repair as it died on me today and won't load windows other than safe mode. Tried to Reformat from the Windows instalation CD and it reboots just before the loading of the VISTA Format screen. :( :cry:

Dell is sending a repair tech over with a new MB/CPU and RAID 0 drives...

Hopefully I can get it straightened out... A real bummer to lose and have to reinstall many of my Freeware/Payware FSX add-ons.

Hope to see you all again soon.

Thanks for all the help thusfar.
clay
Cadet
Cadet

Post by clay »

I tried it and it doesn't show up any help?
kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

The scenery? Or the Guide?
Dan
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Moved to proper topic.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

clay wrote:I tried it and it doesn't show up any help?
You followed Martin's guide, and activated the scenery and it didn't show up?
Steve
Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

I'm back baby!!!! :D

Question regarding another package install into my FSX program?

I have the PHNL airport from Alpha India Group installed and active. When installing the MAIW Hickham C-17 Package do I need to install the following Scenery File:

MAIW_AF2_HNG0_WAYPOINT1.bgl

and am I correct in not installing the following Scenery File due to the fact that I'm using the one from AiG:

MAIW_AF2_PHNL_DEFAULT_DB.bgl

Thanks!