The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Support archive for MAIW Packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Support for MAIW Packages in FSX

Post by Firebird »

In in answer to your first question is yes, as its a waypoint not in your system that the aircraft fly to. No afcad, no flight.

In answer to the second one, I can't answer that as I have not looked at the AIG one.
My guess would be though that the two are incompatible UNLESS they have added military parking to match our packages. You either have to use our one and have military traffic, or use theirs and have little or no mil traffic. I should stress that I am guessing here and this can only be confirmed by looking at the afcad.

You could try and merge the two by adding our parking to their afcad, but I am guessing from the questions that you probably don't understand a lot about afcads so this is probably not a good idea to attempt this.
Steve
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: P3D

Post by tango234 »

If you are talking about the AIG Ground Hickam/Honolulu, it and MAIW are perfactly compatible-I've got them running together no problem. According to the PHNL readme, it was designed with MAIW in mind, right down to the parking codes...
Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Kilo60 »

Yes...

I'm also running AIG Davis Monthan AFB with the MAIW Package of the same name...

I just noticed that a C-130 was flying below the ground after I was watching it as a selected A.I. A/C. It looked like it was going to land on the terrain nowhere near any airport then it just flew below the terrain and kept flying along... :shock:

By null at 2010-01-31

I'm guessing the Waypoints included with the MAIW Package are telling the A/C where to go and it's unfortunately different than the FS9 terrain elevation... As it appeared that there was a runway about 10 miles ahead of where the C-130 was landing in the included pic. :(

Is this a known issue and is there a workaround/fix and does it effect all MAIW packages that include additional waypoints???
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well its useful that you identified a waypoint. The first thing to do is see what height it is set to. Next go to the location of that waypoint and see what the height of the ground there is.
The simple answer is that the waypoint height should equal the height of the ground.

This isn't just an FSX thing, any mesh used on any system can dramatically alter an airfields appearance. There is one other thing to take note of, it may be that the waypoint is on low ground, surrounded by high ground, and this causes an approach to go through terra firma. This again could be back to the mesh related problem.

I would suggest that you check the two heights to see if you have a simple solution that you are able to fix. I you have and you are successful then other people would benefit if you could post the result of the mod that you make here.
Steve
Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

OK.... Thanks Again!

Still working on other areas of my various MAIW Packages and FSX.

I also noticed that at "KLFI" Langley Package I have a dense cluster of trees right in the middle of some of the parking aprons.

I though the AFCAD's (even if FS9 versions) overwrite the underlying terrain mesh...?

I'm also running Ultimate Terrain USA which may conflict somehow.

Would moving the "Addon Scenery/Scenery" folder within FSX Library (containing the MAIW AFCAD's) to a higher priority in the Library List fix these issues?

Or do I just need an FSX compatable AFCAD?

Thanks!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

There are two schools of thought about where the "Addon Scenery/Scenery" folder should go, just above the default MS folders, as it is in a clean condition, or stay at the very top, as it is in the clean condition. I think it comes down to personal choice as both ways have their advantages and disadvantages. You have to be very careful about excludes for example.
In this particular issue an afcad will not block out trees/shrubs/buildings etc. This has to be done by creating excludes. This can be done separately or in modern afcad programs like AFX or ADE. Note that if you open afcads created by these programs in the original Afcad program you will lose the excludes and other features.

It all seemed very complicated to me until I was pointed in the direction of ExcBuilderV2. Very simple to use and you can even download a tutorial by David 'Opa' Marshall on how to use it properly. You can quite easily create you own personal exclude in less than 5 mins.
Steve
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

It all seemed very complicated to me until I was pointed in the direction of ExcBuilderV2. Very simple to use and you can even download a tutorial by David 'Opa' Marshall on how to use it properly. You can quite easily create you own personal exclude in less than 5 mins.
I'll remember that one for future reference-it'll come in handy...
After all, we all hate landing in a forest!

Thanks for putting that up
Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Kilo60 »

tango234 wrote:
I'll remember that one for future reference-it'll come in handy...
After all, we all hate landing in a forest!

Thanks for putting that up

Yes.... THANKS!
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Just for completeness: Paavo has made a version of Exclusion Builder for FSX as well. Both version can be found here at Scenery.org.
Cheers,
Martin
Captain
Captain

Post by ricktk »

ADEX works as well, and can also expand the airport background polygon so that the trees/autogen will not show through.
Rick

"Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check."
Rotorhead
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

FSX Scenery and MAIW packages....

Post by Rotorhead »

This may be a stupid question, however here goes anyway.... When I did the tutorial and changed all my MAIW Packages over to FSX it says:

Register the folders in the FSX Library
To add the new MAIW folders to the FSX scenery library, start FSX, select Settings, and then Scenery Library. Make sure to add the folders in this order:
“<FSX>\Addon Scenery\ MAIW Landclass“
“<FSX>\Addon Scenery\ MAIW Excludes“
“<FSX>\Addon Scenery\ MAIW Airports“
“<FSX>\Addon Scenery\ MAIW Scenery“
This step is completed after all four new folders have been added to the FSX scenery library.

So when I do that, they end up in the reverse order on my FSX Scenery list? My scenery list looks like this:

1. MAIW Scenery
2. MAIW Airports
3. MAIW Excludes
4. MAIW Landclass.

Is that correct? Thanks in advance.
Bryan
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Re: FSX Scenery and MAIW packages....

Post by nickblack423 »

Yes that's correct mate the Landclass needs to be below the rest in the scenery order.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
Rotorhead
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: FSX Scenery and MAIW packages....

Post by Rotorhead »

nickblack423 wrote:Yes that's correct mate the Landclass needs to be below the rest in the scenery order.

Nick
Thanks Nick, AND THANKS FOR THE GREAT HORNETS you've produced for the AI world. I'm kinda partial to the Hornets myself.

Bryan
billby
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by billby »

Hi All,
I managed to install all the MAIW packages into FSX with great results!!

The only issues I have:-
1. My F15 cockpits are black and my Apache spinning rotor blades are also show up as a black circles.

2. At Middle Wallop the Apaches are parked under ground and the hover routes are in a canyon until they take off. I tried replacing the AFCAD with the one for UK2000 VFR which I have installed and I have removed the EGVP AFCAD from the MAIW scenery but this makes no difference!!

Please can anybody help??

Thanks
Dave
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Dave,

This sounds like you are missing the FSX SP2. Could that be the case? If so, updating to SP2 will fix that issue.
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by billby »

Hi Martin,
I have FSX acceleration pack installed.
Should I have loaded SP2 first then acceleration pack, as it said all the updates of SP2 are in the acceleration pack?

If so, would I be able to delete acceleration pack and install SP2 and reinstall acceleration pack with affecting all the all my efforts so far (i.e. having to reinstall REX, GEX, ULT, MAIW and much more)???

regards
Dave
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

If you have acceleration then you must not use the SP2, just install acceleration.
Which way is up?
billby
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by billby »

That good news, I was thought it was going to be a full reinstall!!
But any ideas on my problems???

Dave
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Dave,

The next best guess is that you are missing some bitmaps from the shared ..\<%FSX%>\texture folder. Check for these three files :

NBAI_AH64_Apache_L.bmp
NBAI_Apache_Rotors.bmp
NBAI_Apache_tail_rotor.bmp
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by billby »

Thank you,
Brillant, that fixed the Apaches any ideas on the F15's?

Is the a hidden AFCAD for EGVP apart from MAIW_AF2_EGVP_DEFAULT.BGL what could be set at a different height causeing the underground Apaches ?
I have tried using Airport Scanner but that found nothing.

Dave