The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Support archive for MAIW Packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Re: Support for MAIW Packages in FSX

Post by gsnde »

Dave,

check for

NBAI_Weapons.bmp
refl_texture.bmp
MAIW_canopy_clear.bmp
NBAI_F15_Eagle_L.bmp
NBAI_F15E_StrikeEagle_L.bmp
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by billby »

That crack it, I was missing all the Textures.

Thank You.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Your welcome, Dave. The FSX installation guide describes in some detail for each package which file has to go where to - in doubt you can use it as a reference to check.
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by swimeye »

Hello!

Thanks for all your hard work and also thanks for populating my sim with all these glorious AI models.
I recently installed the Lemoore hornets V2 and i think everything went smoothly but i seem to be missing some textures for the water tower and the som cars and trucks, maybe also some shelters and some signs can be missing but these last two objects is not entilry black but seem to have some very dark texture but it is hard to say if they are meant to´be that way.
I have checked my MAIW scenery library objects folder and it has all the textures from the package. Any ideas on this one?

I have made another round checking other MAIW addons and i see the same missing textures at other sceneries also, seems like i am missing some kind of base package?
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Mmmh, do you have the files dark_road.bmp and dark_road_lm.bmp in the folder %fsx%\Scenery\World\Texture?
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by swimeye »

Yes they are there. Strange, i have quite alot of Maiw packages installed and it is strange that i am missing these textures.
sven
Cadet
Cadet

Post by sven »

I have the same problem, but I was thinking that FSX is not rendering them correctly. The clear parts on the plane stands will show an aircraft inside but when two plane stands are in my line of sight the structure becomes clear and I see the scenery behind, no airplane.

Sven
Kilo60
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Kilo60 »

A BIG F.Y.I. TO ALL Ultimate Traffic 2 USERS AND MAIW PACKAGES....

Quoted from John Goodwin over at the official Ultimate Traffic 2 forums...

Over the last few days I have had time to try and import WORLD OF AI and MILITARY AI WORKS military flight plans into UT.

First let me just say that there will be a fix coming out for both UT2 and Power Pack that will help with some of the problems that I encountered BUT there are still major flaws in the plans that are available and how they import into UT.

One of the major problems that you will encounter is just the shear number of flightplans in these packages that are just TNG (touch and go) flights. I would say that in one package is was as many as 50% of the flights were TNG flights. UT just will not cope with that code, so you have to remove the TNG code from the flight plans BEFORE you try to import.

So what are the rest of the problems, as there are so many touch and go flights on removing the TNG flight these tend to become a flight from A to A, UT will just ignore these flights and only produce flights that go from a DEPARTURE AIRPORT to a DIFFERENT ARRIVAL AIRPORT. So in the package where I removed the TNG code which then changed the flights in A to A flights,I instantly reduced the planned flights by up to 50% even before I had imported. Of course there are ways around this but it means editing the flightplans manually to replace the A to A flights with A to B flights, and I can tell you this is very time consuming. With lots of the flightplans I looked at, this means a complete re-write as there are just too many things that have to be changed.

There are also some "quirks" in the flightplans, MAIW have a system of creating small fictious airports that they use as gunnery, bomb or parachute ranges for the aircraft to fly too. Of course this means that you MUST import the AFCADs they include in their packages and when importing the flightplans into UT2 create these new airports, of course the aircraft that fly to these places do not land there they just overshoot and return when using the traffic_****.BGL files, but in UT2 these small airports now are DESTINATIONS as the cheats that where used in the .BGL files will no longer work.

The major cheat in the .BGL file was to make the flight an IFR TNG flight, by doing this the aircraft will overshoot on arrival until the planned landing time is reached or passed. But as a cheat in the flightplans you can write it so that the DEPARTURE TIME is earlier than the ARRIVAL TIME so the aircraft will over shoot and then just procced onwards to it's next destination. This cheat will not work in UT

Assigning the NEW AIRCRAFT TYPES is in the update being tested , so those of you that have had problems importing new aircraft types this is being tested right now as I write.

What I am trying to say here is that the import of a civilian commercial airline is quite straight forward, as they usually do not contain any TNG flights and normaly fly between two established airports.

BUT, and it is a very big BUT importing military flights that are downloaded from the sites above do have problems as they where written to use the traffic.bgl type of control. They will require MAJOR and I do mean MAJOR editing and in somecases complete rewriting of the Flightplans_****.TXT file, to remove the TNG code and sort out the A to A flights.

My advice on the matter is, import MILATARY CARGO flights by all means, but ensure that they do not contain the TNG and A to A flights I have described above, and that do not use the "parachute/bombing range" airports. I really would forget trying to import MILITARY COMBAT flights as these contain far too many TNG flights, and special use airports and just require too much time and effort to make them work anywhere as close as the original do.
This would definately explain quite a few issues I've been seeing lately. :cry:
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

What's up with payware AI?
/boggle
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Of course he could of actually pointed out that you don't need to import our stuff into UT2 at all and leave them as they were intended, external native FS flightplans.
This would save all that effort and they would work as intended.

The moral is DO NOT try to convert our stuff to work in UT2. Why he would try is beyond me.
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

What Steve said.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Payware AI? Who needs it at all? (with the execption of the HTAI cessna pack obviously 8) )

I cannot understand why people go through all the bother of putting all the WOAI and MAIW packs into UT2-its pointless.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

UT - Pointless

I agree :D :D :D
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

I think that people get a little hooked on the extra features, such as schedule boards (arrivals/departures etc) and so on. However, I found after about a year (and one update - new a/c and schedules) that I wasn't all that happy.

Thank goodness I found WOAI and removed all other traffic, and only added military packages and WOAI new and updated from that day on. I do miss some of the added features a little, but not enough to make me go back.

The only weakness to WOAI is that they supply only models, paints and schedules. You still gotta search out AFCADs and scenery to enhance the experience, however, part of the installer is a great schedules feature that we don't have with the MAIW packages.

There really is no reason to go payware. Sorry payware guys, don't mean to mess with you pocket book, but what is -- is!

Ron
zoneone42
Cadet
Cadet

Post by zoneone42 »

maiw work fine with me in fsx
DeepSea-Two-One
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DeepSea-Two-One »

Much of John Goodwin's unpaid 'job' with Flight1 is to figure out how to integrate other AI sources into Ultimate Traffic. That is why he works on such basically futile projects.

He learns and develops a lot of great techniques.

The UT2 method of creating AI on the fly and using waypoints and airways for AI traffic routes offers some great new opportunities for realism in FSX AI.

For example - imagine being able to direct your training fighter/bomber flight to a bombing range and setup a hold, do three runs on bombing target #1, back to the hold point, two runs on bombing target #2 located 5 nm away, back to the hold and two runs on bombing target #3 located 10 nm from target #1. That can be done with UT2 with no need for fake airports or TNG flight plans.

Unfortunately UT2 will not do a RTB though - the start and end airports of the FP have to be different.

Another hugely wonderful aspect of the UT2 flightplan system includes testing. You can stop the UT2 traffic. Change the flightplans, restart the UT2 traffic and check the changes. You never have to shut down FSX while doing this testing. You can do the same thing to change the AI aircraft/ repaints for a FP.

I've even learned how to use the FSX Scenery Library in a similar fashion to edit airports - make changes - check the changes - go back and make more changes with ADE - restart the Scenery Library, etc.
Reggie Fields

The Story of US Navy VQ-1 PR-21 Callsign that day - DeepSea One Two Nine - http://www.willyvictor.com/History/Kore ... Korea.html

Aircraft photo - http://www.vpnavy.com/ec/vq1ec_02_17feb2002.jpg
NIGHTFIGHTER
Cadet
Cadet

Post by NIGHTFIGHTER »

Hi Folks, firstly thanks to the MAIW staff who have kindly added their packages to the front of P.C pilot. Now my question, from the disc on the front of the mag and using the bible for installing them into FSX i installed Nellis, Mcconnell, and MCAS Beaufort. Beaufort and Mcconnell are fantastic each with loads of aircraft and great scenery, but Nellis has wonderful scenery but not one aircraft (not even a bird!)
Has anyone what could have happend? It's weird i followed the same install processe on all the packages...Please help ..Gary
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Reggie - I'm always ready to be persuaded to rethink, and you have captured my attention. Is there a forum thread, perhaps on the UT2 forum that details these discoveries and procedures? I would not mind having a look see at this issue. Is it possible to implement these features into a shareable file that does not require the share e to purchase UT2? (such fp features would be worth the purchase - so not a deal breaker afaic). Might be enough to make me start converting my military traffic over to fsx.

Ron
DeepSea-Two-One
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DeepSea-Two-One »

I haven't kept up with the latest from UT2. They did produce a SP which I haven't loaded which was to make it easier to include traditional FP into UT2.

I'll have to look into it. So far I've been just using the MAIW packages in FSX and just converting the traffic .bgl files with AI Flight Planner.

One thing I saw early in the UT2 days was that people were able to easily add waypoints to make AI taking off in mountain areas avoid turning into and flying into mountains right after takeoff.
UT2 is a completely different animal. There are no traffic files used by UT2.

UT2 creates the AI in realtime from the FP database and UT2 generates the AI aircraft. Only at that point does the aiplayer.dll take over and operate the aircraft. Aircraft in the air are 'flown' via the much more detailed near real world FP routes in the UT2 database, or simplistic FS2002/2004 great circle type routes.

What a lot of us did not understand at first is that inside a traffic file an AI aircraft FP is not from airport ABCD to airport WXYZ, but from coordinate to coordinate. Each gird on the GC route between the airports had an entrance coordinate, an exit coordinate and a time for the AI aircraft.

UT2 does not try to pull out one, two or three grid segments from the big traffic.bgl, but just deals with the coordinates of that aircraft in the active AI zone. By taking the coordinates from UT2's database rather than the traffic file, UT2 can give the AI aircraft a route with mutiple headings, turns and waypoints which a traffic.bgl cannot do.

I'm not using UT2 very often right now.

But it is definitely worth the cost to experiment in my opinion.

It may not be the future of FS AI, but it is definitely a new direction and a possible way around many of the issues which are caused by the TDBB/TTools way of doing FP.

This probably sounds a bit disjointed because I'm not up on the latest with UT2.

But the key to emphasize is that UT2 is not 'just payware AI' like the original Ultimate Traffic, My Traffic or Just Flight's Traffic.

UT2 is a completely new, completely different way of creating at AI.

I might also mention - these features / concepts cannot be used without UT2. It is the new developed .dlls and database techniques which work with the SimConnect type interface which is unique to FSX.

The best way I can compare that capability to FS2004 is that it is like a multiplayer session where a new pilot can join with his new aircraft and FP. FSX allows your flight session to have new elements injected into the session - like AI - which do not necessarily there when the session started.
Reggie Fields

The Story of US Navy VQ-1 PR-21 Callsign that day - DeepSea One Two Nine - http://www.willyvictor.com/History/Kore ... Korea.html

Aircraft photo - http://www.vpnavy.com/ec/vq1ec_02_17feb2002.jpg
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Pensacola T-1s

Post by thetford569 »

Hey,

I've got the USAF T-1s Part 2 package installed and I'm seeing the Jayhawks both at Vance AFB and Laughlin however I don't see any at NAS Pensacola like there are supposed to be. I am using Jim Dhahens scenery of KNPA and I've modified the AFCAD myself to add the parking spots in the correct locations for both transient aircraft and the T-1s. The transient MAIW stuff is showing up ok however the T-1s are never there. I am using a parking spot size of 10m and using the Airline Code of 479T which is what is in the aircraft.cfg file. The parking spot type is set to MIL_COMBAT just like in the cfg file. The only thing I can think of is that there are aircraft shelters in the scenery over each parking spot and I wonder if they're not parking there because of that? But I know Nellis AFB has shelters and aircraft still park there so I don't know? Thanks for any suggestions for help!

Brandon