The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Nellis AB in FSX?

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
TheAaron.com
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Nellis AB in FSX?

Post by TheAaron.com »

Hello im not sure if this has been asked on here before but i cannot find any forums about it,

Im not posting this in the dedicated Nellis package help because obviously you guys dont support FSX,

However has anyone tweaked this scenery to FSX standards or atleast to work in FSX, or could i do anything to it?

I ask this because this scenery is too good to give over without a fight,

Many thanks,

Aaron.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Nellis AB in FSX?

Post by BadPvtDan »

It works just fine in FSX.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

As far as I've been told, that is correct. There are a couple items, the trees and ramp lights which use the FS9 alpha channel transparency to make them look right, that will not look correct in FSX because it uses the exact opposite (black/white) for transparency.

I believe you can fix that by reversing the alpha channel of those textures.

If you ask around here, I'm sure another FSX user has already made the required mods.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
TheAaron.com
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by TheAaron.com »

Ok thanks for the replies,

You are right it is the Ramp lights and Tree's and also the AFCAD has bushes all over it!

Ill wait until somthing pop up otherwise a great scenery!

Thanks,

Aaron.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Those three things are the result of using it in FSX as noted. I believe you can fix the bushes issue by opening the AF2 file in ADE-X and then resaving it as an FSX file.

The other two require you to open the trees texture file and the ramp lights texture file and edit their alpha channel, flipping the black and white parts to the opposite (black or white) color.

Surely someone around here has already done that.
-Mike G.

TheAaron.com
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by TheAaron.com »

Yeah Mike, i did give the Ramp lights a go by Inverting the Alpha, didnt come out as expected, dont really have the skill required to mess about with the textures, Fine using Airport Design Editor though so i will sort that AFCAD issue out now,

Im also guessing someone on here must have it edited, there is alternatives but nothing beat this Nellis so im going to just keep at it,

Many thanks again for the reply,

Aaron.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

You might also try over at Simouthouse.com Some of those guys over there have tweaked it for FSX.
-Mike G.

TheAaron.com
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by TheAaron.com »

Thanks for the suggestion,

It seems someone on there was meant to start converting but must have fallen somewhere as the last i could read about it was in June 2010, so not sure on that,

Many thanks anyway!

Aaron.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Yea someone over there was all gung ho to tweak it for FSX, I was more than happy to do what I could to help. He wanted to use a different model for the Thunderbirds hangar and I was perfectly happy with that. But he never got back to me on any of that.
-Mike G.

TheAaron.com
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by TheAaron.com »

Yeah thats the conversation i was reading.

Ah well ill give it some time, if not i will experiment see what i can do with it!

Thanks

Aaron.
Wolfhound
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Wolfhound »

Maybye somebody can help me i have nellis in fsx butt al of my ai traffic is sinking in to de runway butt when te traffic is taxien from there spot the traffic is not sinking need help please :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Is there a difference in height between the KLSV afcad supplied in our package and the default KLSV in FSX?
Steve
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Yes, elevation differences are the number one change between the 2 versions. If you want to use the AFCAD, I still keep the program around to make quick and easy changes. Could probably do this in ADEX, still haven't figured that out, so I use a combo of the 2 programs.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Wolfhound
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Wolfhound »

you are right,the elevations are different i used the default elevations and its al right now thanks for the headsup :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Felixthreeone
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Felixthreeone »

I am having some issues mainly with the AFCAD. I use the payware AFX program from flight1 to make changes to afcads in my setup, and it works great!
I noticed that the aircraft taxiing were on pavement, but arriving aircraft were sunk into the ground. Made the elevation change to fsx elevation, and it fixed the problem, but introduced another problem...the runways and taxiways are all elevated above the surrounding terrain now. Eh. I guess I can live with that.

BUT....there seems to be an issue with aircraft functionality as well...aircraft taxiing from the area of the 414CTS get stuck and stop halfway to runway 3L, and eventually dissappear...and aircraft landing on 3L or 3R stop prior to clearing the runway and dissapear. Kinda like a standoff. I ran the afcad through AFX, and it flagged over 100 errors with links and stuff. I know from testing in FS9 that the 21's were the favored runways (i think), so i dont remember seeing this problem. Do I have to go in and reconnect all of these links? Will it even make a difference, or is there another solution? Thanks in advance for any input!
Matt

RedBaronAaron
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RedBaronAaron »

Hello guys,

Need a bit of help, recently decided to fly at this base again and got the common problem of tree's/bushes everywhere over the field,

Nellis is at the top of the scenery library and all 3 AFCAD's are converted and saved in FSX format using AFX, i am all out of ideas here!

Would appreciate any help if possible!

Cheers
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

RedBaronAaron wrote:Hello guys,

Need a bit of help, recently decided to fly at this base again and got the common problem of tree's/bushes everywhere over the field,

Nellis is at the top of the scenery library and all 3 AFCAD's are converted and saved in FSX format using AFX, i am all out of ideas here!

Would appreciate any help if possible!

Cheers
Just converting the AFD's to FSX format will not cure the autogen you see, you will need to make an airport background poly's to exclude autogen. You can do this by using ADEX, and follow the manuals advice on background poly's.
Mark
RedBaronAaron
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RedBaronAaron »

I see,

Ill go and have a crack at this then see where i get,

though i used to fly from it with no issues, somethings gone wrong somewhere :lol:

anyway cheers for the help!
RedBaronAaron
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by RedBaronAaron »

Pretty simple and effective with AFX,

did it first time,

cheers again!
jorab82
Cadet
Cadet

Post by jorab82 »

New to the forum, I just install the Nellis scenery but I'm missing all the ground textures runways, parking areas, ext... I attach a picture to give you an idea of my problem I'm using FSX SP1 and have already install using FSX intructions. Can anybody give me an idea how to fix this.
Attachments
Nellis picture
Nellis picture