The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Tornado for P3D V4

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
grahaml
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Tornado for P3D V4

Post by grahaml »

Your excellent RAF Marham is looking a little quiet there days as none of the original AI Tornados appear to work in P3D V4.

Are there any plans to convert your original Tornado GR4 AI file (maiw_raf_tornado_GR4.zip) recommended with the RAF Marham package so we can get Marham 'operational' again ?

Cheers
GrahamL
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: Tornado for P3D V4

Post by Greg »

The AI Tornado was developed by Fernando Martinez before MAIW existed. When we started, we got permission from Fernando to include his models in our packages.

Unfortunately, Fernando left the hobby quite some time ago and can no longer be reached. So we're unable to get his permission to convert his work to be compatible with P3Dv4. We have the same issue for his C-160, Mirage 2000 and other models. :(
grahaml
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by grahaml »

Thanks Greg,

I will miss the Tornado and will just have to 'station' some other ai at Marham for now.

Thanks for the quick reply
GrahamL
paul day
Captain
Captain

Post by paul day »

How about the nine F-35,s that are there at present, that's if somebody could paint them.

Regards Paul Day.
paul day
Captain
Captain

Post by paul day »

Actually there are already enough repaints for the nine RAF aircraft that have been uploaded in the six F-35 packs that John Young was good enough to produce for us.

Regards Paul Day.
Manschy
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Post by Manschy »

That is a hard loss indeed, because I had a little hope because of my RAF Brüggen air base finally :( . Furthermore, half of the german, british and italian air bases will stay empty during the virtual 80s in the P3D. Remarkable how extremly prevalent this aircraft was (and still is) within Europe. Maybe there will be an option to take a pilotable aircraft like the UKMIL FSX native Tornado and gut it (panel etc.), then probably use two or three of them only as AI (because of the LODs) while others will be placed as static objects. Just a thought.... 8)
Regards, Manfred.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

The Tornados and Mirages are planes that are liked by a lot of people.
It maybe that somebody will do new models, you can never tell. The old models are fine, but it would to have more weapon fit choices.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I can't let Manfred beaver away in the fine detail he is working with for Brüggen without having the proper AI to go with it. I'll take on the Tornado for FSX/P3Dv4 as soon as I've finished the AW139's.

John
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

:shock: OMG - John, speaking with almost all of the MAIW communitiy: Thank you for this announcement!!!! :D I feel very honoured by this.
Regards, Manfred.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Well that is a lot quicker than I imagined.
Steve
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

John, you absolute beauty!!!!
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
DC1973
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DC1973 »

John Young wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 08:43 I can't let Manfred beaver away in the fine detail he is working with for Brüggen without having the proper AI to go with it. I'll take on the Tornado for FSX/P3Dv4 as soon as I've finished the AW139's.

John
I'm a bit late picking up on this thread. I offered to pick up the new Tornado GR1 / F3 model a while back in conversation with Martin. He asked if the new model could match all the existing Tornado texture packs that had been produced over the years, which is a good idea. The issue I ended up with when I started modelling it was that I was building the exact same model as Fernando, virtually poly for poly, to make it fit the texture templates. Seemed like an awful lot of work just to end up with the same result.

Might be worth matching only certain aspects of your new model to the existing templates, such as wings, tail, fuselage etc. That way, the colour schemes will marry up fine but you can tinker with new or updated maps for internals, wheels and all default components, if that makes sense?
DC Designs
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've made a start on the model. There is no way I can match the exiting texture mapping without doing what you tried and matching it poly for poly and that's something I don't want to be constrained by. It sounds like a breach of copyright in any case.

John
DC1973
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DC1973 »

John Young wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 13:35 It sounds like a breach of copyright in any case.

John
Exactly, it felt a bit like anyone could just say I'd done a direct convert of the existing model. Good luck with the new one! :)
DC Designs
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by rocket_26_ »

John Young wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 13:35 I've made a start on the model. There is no way I can match the exiting texture mapping without doing what you tried and matching it poly for poly and that's something I don't want to be constrained by. It sounds like a breach of copyright in any case.

John
Thats great news John. Are you modelling both the F3 and GR1?

Cheers

Ian
DC1973
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DC1973 »

Oh, that reminds me John - if you're doing both types ( GR1 and F3 ) model the F3 first or leave enough room for it on the texture sheet! It has a much longer nose but the same fuselage as the GR1, so you'll be able then to fit the GR1 on the same overall texture sheet. Two birds and all that :)
DC Designs
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes I'm aware of the longer nose on the F3 and the need to manage that. Since this thread is about conversion, I'll outline what I'm planning shortly in a new Tornado section within the JYAI part of the forum. I just want to progress the Gmax model a little further first so there is something to show.

John