The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

The F-117A at Hollaman

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
33sierra

The F-117A at Hollaman

Post by 33sierra »

Hi guys
I have heard rumors that the F-117A is not realy retired. I live in America, in Kansas, and from a guy I know that is a C-130 in flight maintenance guy, flight engineer I think, he told me there are F-117A's at Hollman in hangars there. And I know someone in Clovis NM that says they are still being used. I don't know anymore than that. They were not destroyed if they were retired, they are hangered. They may still be flying missions. My thoughts are that the USAF wanted other countries to think they were out of the fleet. Just a thought.
Martin
Last edited by Greg on 25 Mar 2015, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: The F-117A at Hollaman

Post by clickclickdoh »

The F-117s are largely intact (wings removed) and they are stored in hangars, but they are at Tonopah, not Hollman. The -117 was a great bird, but technology caught up to them.

Rumors persist that a handful of airframes are being maintained as flying testbeds, but they are highly unlikely due to the cost of keeping a tiny number of these aircraft in service.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

This authenticated video is from 2010 so it's getting a little dated but yes, they appear to be still flying a few for testing purposes.

http://youtu.be/TvyaG7EIC18
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

The official response to that is that every now and then a -117 is reassembled from type 1000 storage and sent out on a test flight to validate the storage technique.
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

Dont delete those F117s just yet

https://combataircraft.keypublishing.co ... hotos-yet/

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Mark, beat me to it, just watched all the vids and thought the same thing.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

Recent flying activity by F-117A Nighthawk stealth fighters over southern California and Nevada has revealed a possible new operating unit. One of the aircraft has been seen carrying a fin band bearing the name ‘Dark Knights’ together with a Nighthawk symbol. If this is indeed a unit designation, it’s not one known to have been connected to the F-117 in the past. However, the fin band seems to suggest that the unit operating the jets from Tonopah may have received this name, unofficially or otherwise.

All other markings on this particular ‘Dark Knights’ F-117 have been removed, although a faint ‘ED’ tailcode might be visible, suggesting it is one of the examples flown from Palmdale under the 410th Flight Test Squadron.

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

Removing the F-117? Absurde idea... They are all flying happily in my P3dv4, together with Hustlers and Peacemakers :smt001 ...

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Long live the past!
Steve