The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Victors and Canberra (Marham)

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: Victors and Canberra (Marham)

Post by delbydoo »

John, I have just finished both Tornado squadrons for this very reason. Admittedly they have 1990 serials, so could change them to 93 if you would like. Both sqns were getting ready to leave by that time, with 617 going to Lossie and 27 disbanding to reform as a chinook unit. Give me a shout if you would like them.
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Ahhhh.....didn't read your post fully :-| I will release the squadron paints for those who do have the PAI model....then they can do what they want. :wink:
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

John, that is looking absolutely stunning!

Regarding the Tornado GR1.

I used to be the General Manager of Project AI. Now, I realise that they have pretty much gone out of the modelling business, but it has always been their policy not to allow their model to be used by 3rd parties.

They have a rather complex EULA which was drawn up by Frank Cubalos (the then owner) which I have no doubt still stands. I think it was partly due to this that Fernando started releasing his models on his own.

Unless there has been a massive change I would suggest that there is little chance of you getting round that pesky EULA.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Christopher Low
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Christopher Low »

John,

Your work, your rules :wink:
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yep, I understand that and I wasn't proposing to include the PAI GR1 in my package. If it wasn't for the dependency on an installer that is far from foolproof, I would have recommended that users download the aircraft separately from PAI as I did previously with the MAIW GR4 package in present day Marham. I would only have provided a set of flight plans for the aircraft operating out of Marham.

I don't like leaving things half done, so my favoured option is to have a go at building a GR1. That will be good practice with a fast jet, something I haven't done before and also yield an FSX native code version as a bonus.

John
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

John,

The screen shots are incredible. In relation to Fernando Martinez Tornado I can't see that anyone who wants it has had trouble getting it judging by the amount of downloads for textures by others and myself. The flightplans would seem enough but I would love to see another AI model, perhaps with some different loadouts.

Chris
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

John Young wrote:Yep, I understand that and I wasn't proposing to include the PAI GR1 in my package. If it wasn't for the dependency on an installer that is far from foolproof, I would have recommended that users download the aircraft separately from PAI as I did previously with the MAIW GR4 package in present day Marham. I would only have provided a set of flight plans for the aircraft operating out of Marham.

I don't like leaving things half done, so my favoured option is to have a go at building a GR1. That will be good practice with a fast jet, something I haven't done before and also yield an FSX native code version as a bonus.

John
No worries John, didn't want you going to all that work only to have someone from PAI crying foul.

You could always make the necessary textures and plans and let the user decide whether they want to download the model from PAI.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

There's an enormous amount of sense in what you say Stew. There is an explanation on the PAI forum of the problem with the installer and how to overcome it. It has to do with the location of temporary files and quite a risky instruction on how to change it. I don't want to do that, even on a temporary basis, in case my many other programs depend on them being where they are. Daft really because the aircraft doesn't need an installer. I think I will let people who are interested have a play with the Marham scenery and Victor/Canberra AI and perhaps get some feedback. As you say, people can try and install the PAI GR1 if they don't already have it. As Daryl has done the 617 and 27 Sqn repaints, it's almost problem solved. I'll get the packages out to those that want them as soon as I have finished the documentation and review the need for the GR1 after I've done the B-57 conversion.

John
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

John Young wrote:Yep, I understand that and I wasn't proposing to include the PAI GR1 in my package. If it wasn't for the dependency on an installer that is far from foolproof, I would have recommended that users download the aircraft separately from PAI as I did previously with the MAIW GR4 package in present day Marham. I would only have provided a set of flight plans for the aircraft operating out of Marham.

John
:D
Last edited by sr01 on 31 Aug 2012, 15:57, edited 2 times in total.
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

John
:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :D :D :D
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Remarkable work, John.
You have even managed to capture the weather from '93 as well. :lol:
Steve
Christopher Low
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Christopher Low »

I have never understood why PAI are so fussy when it comes to installing their freeware packages. You would think that national military secrets are at stake.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Christopher Low wrote:I have never understood why PAI are so fussy when it comes to installing their freeware packages. You would think that national military secrets are at stake.
I think it stems from the fact that PAI were really the first guys to start doing AI packages etc. Frank had a mate who was a lawyer and of course everything went to sh*t when he got involved. :smt005

Remember it's only their models that the EULA covers, not any repaints that may have been done.
Stew

Bora

Post by Bora »

John Young wrote:

John
No fast jet done before ? What about the Lightning and F-111 you did at ACG ? They look pretty fast to me ! :D

Amazing work you are doing ! Really looking forward to the Victor and Canberra together with a retro Marham...
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes your right of course Bora, I was thinking of a more modern fast jet than the Lightning and the F-111E.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've finished the Marham 1993 scenery and Canberra/Victor AI packages. However, I won't release them this weeked as my friend Andy at ACG needs to complete the new ground polygon to replace the current one.

However, I have assembled everything into 3 zips - one set for FS9 and one for FSX. I'd like to find four volunteers please, who would like an advance copy of the packages. Although the installation of each package is straightforward, putting the whole thing together requires a few more steps than usual. I'm looking for two volunteers for FS9 and two for FSX to work through the installation process and to tell me if the manuals need changing to make anything clearer please. Since the installation also involves adding a new set of textures to the PAI Tornado GR1, it would be preferable if the volunteers didn't have this aircraft already installed. Only the new GR1 textures are in my package (thanks to Chris) and it would be useful to test the ease of download and use of the PAI installer.

Drop me a PM if you are interested and I'll send you the temporary links for the files. Chris and Martin - I have e-mailed you separately with the links.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Many thanks to all those that tested the Marham 1993 scenery and Victor/Canberra AI packages over the weekend. It was really useful. I spent 3 hours assembling the zips but still managed to leave a texture out doh!

These are the key points reported back so far and a couple of fixes for the testers:

1. A couple of small changes needed to the give better clarity in the installation instructions.

2. Victor XM715 that should deploy the refuelling hoses above 18,000ft in FS9 actually has the standard K2 model assigned. If you open the aircraft.cfg file and go to [flightsim.0] and change the model assignment from "K2" to "K2_hoses", it will fix the problem. The FSX version is fine.

3. Two people had a problem with the PAI installer for the GR1 when only an FSX installation was present. There is a work around and when I have it, Ill put it in the manual.

4. The missing texture is for the FS9 PAI Tornado GR1 (FSX is fine). I have uploaded it here: https://rapidshare.com/files/3912315657/27_JG.zip

I need to check if any alignment issues are present when the FSX AFCAD (AFX) is used with Horizon photo-scenery. However, Andy's ground polygon may well overcome any that are present when he has it finished.

Again, thanks for your help.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Just had a PM from Graham at Flightsimmer.com. He has given me permission to add the PAI GR1 model to the Marham zip. That will certainly make the installation easier for users. Thank you Graham - much appreciated.
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

That's great news John, it will certainly make the installation much easier :)
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Glad to have been of some help J OHN

Thanks for pointing out all the problems found, it gives me an idea
of what else to look for if I am ever asked to do the same again !
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!