The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Retro Tornado paints

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
Chrisb
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: Retro Tornado paints

Post by Chrisb »

Giorgio

Thanks for the flightplans. I was hoping someone would make some.

And Bora,

Thanks for the screenshots again. Something I just cannot seem to master.

Chris
vernon39426
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by vernon39426 »

Can someone please give me the name of the file to get this aircraft. The only tornado by Fernando that I have been able to locate has the sim as lear45 and your aircraft configuration calls for PAI_TOR_FMAI_V6. Thanks in advance.
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

You need to register at FlightSimmer.com and then download this: http://www.flightsimmer.com/forums/inde ... owfile=218 and the PAI Installer: http://www.flightsimmer.com/forums/inde ... owfile=232 and install to FS9 for the full FM AI Tornado. If you need help using the installer, ask at the FlightSimmer forums. (PS: you can use the installer to do a manual install, I just don't remember how.) Once you have done the above you can move the files as necessary for your setup, as well as use all the currently available paints for this model.

Ron
PPS Flightsimmer.com took over maintaining the Project AI files a couple of years ago, so you will need to keep up with this site for C-17 KC-10 etc.
vernon39426
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by vernon39426 »

Got the installer and the AI Tornado. Thank you very much. your help is much appreciated.
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

:smt006

Ron
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

I have uploaded Royal Air Force 13 Sqn, 27 Sqn, 617 Sqn and the TWCU to Avsim today.
I don't think I ever released 27 and 617 before although had them somewhere. 13 Sqn and the TWCU are an improvement (I reckon) over the original textures I released with Dary (delbydoo) in the retro RAF Honington package and are a direct replacement.

I will be revamping the remaining RAF/RAFG Tornados 1990 shortly.

Thanks to Eric (Bora) for his assistance with patience and research.

Chris
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

Chrisb wrote:I have uploaded Royal Air Force 13 Sqn, 27 Sqn, 617 Sqn and the TWCU to Avsim today.
I don't think I ever released 27 and 617 before although had them somewhere. 13 Sqn and the TWCU are an improvement (I reckon) over the original textures I released with Dary (delbydoo) in the retro RAF Honington package and are a direct replacement.

I will be revamping the remaining RAF/RAFG Tornados 1990 shortly.
Chris
Chris, you are awsome, I was looking for these just lastnight
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
Bora

Post by Bora »

Thanks Chris ! 27 Sq and 617 Sq will go nicely with John's Marham scenery along with the Victors as they were back in 1990... :D

sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

Bora wrote:Thanks Chris ! 27 Sq and 617 Sq will go nicely with John's Marham scenery along with the Victors as they were back in 1990... :D

VERY nice !!!!
Both the repaints and the screenshots !
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Chris, those textures are really splendid, but there's a slight problem for me. When Daryl offered to do the GR1 repaints for 27 and 617 Sqns for my retro RAF Marham scenery I jumped as the opportunity. He and I didn't know at the time that you were also doing them. He has now decided not to proceed and to bow out in favour of your offering, which is courteous of him. I had got as far as setting up his textures on the GR1 at Marham and putting the download and set up instructions into the draft manual. That's not a problem, beacuse I can put your file references in instead.

The real problem though is that your textures won't work properly in FSX - not your fault because you were probably designing only for FS9. The canopy turns the parts behind it a plain grey like this:

My retro Marham is available in both FS9 and FSX native code as are the AI Victors and Canberras. I corrected the GR1 canopy for FSX in Daryl's texture by adding an alpha channel to the Perspex area of each texture sheet and it works fine. I wonder then if we can somehow do the same with yours? There are two options I think. You could add the alpha using your 24 bit master as the base and upload a version 2 (adding the alpha doesn't affect use of the same textures in FS9). Alternatively I can add the alpha and, with your permission of course, include a set of FSX textures in my scenery package. My only concern with the latter is that I'll have to work with your Dxt3 and when I re-export it with the alpha in DxtBmp, I don't know if that compresses the image again and degrades it.

Any thoughts or suggestions please? I have attached the alpha in case you want to use it.

John
Attachments
GR1_alpha.zip
(3.11 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

Let me just check if that is one of the type that I have corrected already.
--> Yes, it is the same like in the Saudi Arabian Tornado package, so I know how to do it.

Forget it, John. I completely misread you posting because I am a bit distracted - we have a wasp nest here.... :twisted:
Cheers,
Martin
Major

Post by Chrisb »

John,

I will pm you as I think that will be easier.

Chris
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

I have just uploaded to Avsim the replacement/improved textures for the RAFG Laarbruch package by Menno and myself.
There is 2, 15, 16 and 20 Squadrons all in one package and you only have to replace the textures and aircraft.cfg, nothing else needs changing.

Chris
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Thanks Chris - much appreciated mate.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

My thanks to Chris also. He is going to add the canopy alpha channel to the 27 and 617 Sqn GR1 textures for the FSX version of retro Marham.

John
phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

Chris,

Are they any flightplans for the 27 Squadron Tornado's that you or anybody else is aware of?
Bazinga!
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

Jason

Nothing specific that I know of but a Marham flightplan will do. There will be of course with John's scenery.

Chris
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

I have slapped some paint on the Bruggen based Tornado GR.1 of 9, 14, 17 and 31 Squadron as an update of the RAF Bruggen package by Menno and myself. Just replace the textures and aircraft.cfg.

Chris
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

I have slapped some paint on the TTTE Tornados of RAF Cottesmore circa 1990 and just uploaded to Avsim. The textures can be a direct replacement for those in the package produced by Daryl and myself so long ago. The German Tornados are in a later camouflage scheme from those originally released.

Chris