The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

80s Lossiemouth

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

80s Lossiemouth

Post by delbydoo »

Just wondering if anyone knows the parking layout for Lossiemouth back in the late 80s and very early 90s.
12 and 208 Sqns, plus 8 Sqn and 226 OCU. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
jaguar1
Captain
Captain

Re: 80s Lossiemouth

Post by jaguar1 »

Hi Daryl, I worked on 226 OCU from 90-95 so the layout would have been the same then as it was in the late 80's.

226 OCU parking was located on the area called Delta Hard which was North East of the main Runway nearer Runway 23, and had front and rear lines of parking. Enough parking for our 12 jags plus room for up to around 6 visitors.

12 Sqn Buccaneers were housed in the Northern HAS Site where 12 Sqn Tornado GR4's are now. Located near Runway 10

208 Sqn Buccaneers were housed in the Southern HAS site where 617 Sqn Tornado GR4's are now housed.

8 Sqn Shackletons were parked up on a flight line outside their hangers on Charlie Hard between 12 and 226. This is where 15 Sqn Tornado GR4's are now located although the Tornado line extends further east overlapping with where 226 OCU's lines used to be.

237 OCU was the Buccaneer OCU. Their aircraft were parked up on Bravo Hard which was between ATC and VASS.

12 Sqn and 208 Sqn had at least 1 maybe 2, 2-seat hunters for pilot training and certification due to the fact that there were no Buccaneer twin stick trainers. 237 OCU had around 4 Hunters for their training activities as well as their buccaneers.

Hope this helps you out. If this isn't too clear or you need more info, let me know and I'll see if I can do it pictorially.

Cheers, John.
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Spot on info John, just what I was looking for, thanks very much:grin:
Delboy99
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by Delboy99 »

Going back a bit earlier, I was on 237 OCU at Lossie 1984-86. Back then 237 OCU used what was known as Lima hard, which was ths disused runway. This had been refurbished for our move up from Honinington.

Before the HAS sites were built 12 Squadron used Alpha hard, and were based in the southerly of the 3 C type hangars. 237 OCU used the centre hangar. 208 Squadron used Bravo hard and the third C type hangar.

VASS used the J hangar at the end. It was quite common to see visiting aircraft tucked in in front of their hangar, including orange painted German Canberras.

226 OCU and 8 squadron used Delta and Echo hards as mentioned earlier. ASF used the J type hangars on the south side of the airfield. The SAR helicopters were based over there as well.

Hope this helps.
Del
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

Hang on Daryl. Don't you need a Buccaneer for that?

Chris
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Chrisb wrote:Hang on Daryl. Don't you need a Buccaneer for that?

Chris
Damn, thought nobody was going to spot that bit :-(
I've got everything but.......for me, the old Alphasim bucc is going to have to do the job until a real banana turns up
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

Daryl

Damm. I thought you were going to surprise me.

I never managed to get it to work. Would you share the knowledge about what air file etc you use. From memory mine kept turning its nose up.

Chris
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

I must have been at Lossie at the same time as Delboy99 and confirm his layout apart from the Bucc OCU which I cannot recall being parked on the 'disused' in my time (84-mid 86)(and believe me I new every square inch of the airfield). I'm pretty sure they shared 12 Sqn's flightline but it is becoming a long time ago for the old memory cells; in fact more than a lifetime ago for some of the current MAIW fans.

Don't forget 202 down on the southern hangar complex.

I noticed in another thread someone used the term 'hairy legs' which set alarm bells ringing at Lossie when that was heard from a recovering Bucc.