The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

F-111E/F and EF111A (JY)

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: F-111E/F and EF111A (JY)

Post by John Young »

I also found Roy's response about frame rates on FsDevloper interesting. So much so that I went away and tested my average frame rate while viewing the F-111s at Lakenheath. After a minute to settle down, I got a massive reading of 200fps in windowed mode (Intel I7 2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad core, 16GB DDR3 Ram and 1536MB Nvidia GTX 580SC card). Even that figure surprised me because I can normally operate a complex scenery like Marham with maximum display settings and AI, at around 100 fps. It started to make sense but I too then thought of Giorgio and his isolated test spot and then it didn't. 20fps however is still relatively low, disregarding my performance. I wonder if the bounce would still have appeared had he removed the imposed limit?

John
Last edited by John Young on 01 Nov 2012, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

Post by Stewart Pearson »

MrJollyroger103 wrote:Ray- For you LN Varks. Could you tell me what serial numbers go with what units, as i am trying to put callsigns for each of the correct varks. I dont normally guess on callsigns since i know most of them today but i didnt grow up with the vark but callsigns used for the 493rd-Yellow tail band was ?slam or nail?, 492nd-Blue tail band is ?Bolar? and 494th-Red tail band is paws(as i heard in a video on youtube).
The callsigns for the Varks are pretty much as they are today for the F15s - if you give me 10 minutes, I'll upload a list of the VCPmods from the Lakenheath Package, in Squadron by Squadron order.

EDIT:

Here's the list as promised, hope this helps

492nd FS

BEAK
BOLAR
CORVETTE
DUSTER
RAIDER
STORM

493rd FS

AKITA
CHOSEN
GATOR
KILLER
RAMBO
REAPER
TITAN

494th FS

AUSTIN
BONES
BOSOX
COPPER
COUGAR
DRAG
GABBY
PANTHER
TAHOE

GENERIC LN

CLAW
CUSTER
HAMMER
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

It's definitely the frame rate! I put the original unmodified aircraft.cfg back in and then did a series of tests by limiting the frame rate on the slider. At 18fps, the aircraft was all over the place with lots of bounce and white smoke. At 20 fps, it was slightly bouncy with the occasional white smoke. At 22 fps it was largely stable, but just bounced slightly enough to throw up some white smoke when rotating off the runway. At 24fps it was stable with no bounce and no smoke. I didn't test the landings because it takes too long to complete the circuit each time. No wonder I couldn't see the problem at 200fps!

It's a really useful discovery and I'm grateful for all the help you gave me in making it. It means that I need to do all FDE design (as do others I guess) at around 18-20 fps. I'll have another go at the F-111 FDE at that frame rate. Roy has given me an indication of where to start. I'll have some fun with the FB-111A first. I now have everything I need to do that thanks to Brian who has sent me the camo drawings. The only problem is that I need a fourth wing surface for the "DarkVark" because of the underside camo and there's no room on the texture sheet to do that. I'll find a way around it, I'm sure.

John
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

John

I don't know much about the colour schemes for the FB-111 but in a 1992 published Osprey book on the USAF it makes a point that the colour, although looking darker, is the same as the strategic B-52s and B-1Bs.. I presume the later scheme is gunship grey overall.

Chris
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

John Young wrote:It's definitely the frame rate! I put the original unmodified aircraft.cfg back in and then did a series of tests by limiting the frame rate on the slider. At 18fps, the aircraft was all over the place with lots of bounce and white smoke. At 20 fps, it was slightly bouncy with the occasional white smoke. At 22 fps it was largely stable, but just bounced slightly enough to throw up some white smoke when rotating off the runway. At 24fps it was stable with no bounce and no smoke. I didn't test the landings because it takes too long to complete the circuit each time. No wonder I couldn't see the problem at 200fps!

It's a really useful discovery and I'm grateful for all the help you gave me in making it. It means that I need to do all FDE design (as do others I guess) at around 18-20 fps. I'll have another go at the F-111 FDE at that frame rate. Roy has given me an indication of where to start. I'll have some fun with the FB-111A first. I now have everything I need to do that thanks to Brian who has sent me the camo drawings. The only problem is that I need a fourth wing surface for the "DarkVark" because of the underside camo and there's no room on the texture sheet to do that. I'll find a way around it, I'm sure.

John
John, Mein Model Führer
Ain't no-one will call you out on the DahkVahk paint scheme .
Even in good quality slides it's really hard to define and besides the underside port and starbord wings are pretty close on the original A/C

Hauptsturmführer ( junior repaint and modeling division) Brian
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by zsoltfireman »

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I like that 48th TFW aircraft paint.

It's nice to get out of problem solving mode for a while. I've extended the wings in the FB111A model (first LOD anyway) and put the new wing shapes into the texture sheet. Just adjusting the mapping at the moment and then I'll do the first repaint tomorrow.

John
Bora

Post by Bora »

If someone is looking for the serials of the F-111's based at Lakenheath and Upper-Heyford during 1989/1990/1991 I have uploaded a few scans from Scramble magazine from back then showing all numbers...

http://www.yousendit.com/download/WUJic ... Sm8wTWRVag
phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

That crew chief has the right idea! Enjoy your weekend guys!!
Bazinga!
rocket26
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by rocket26 »

The ACG Upper Heyford scenery has not been forgotten. Below are some screens of its current state, all structures behind the A types will not be modelled in the initial release. For two reasons really, A: Time, it could take a year to build that part of the site and B: Will power. I am not really that far of finishing the rest of it.

Cheers

Ian
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by zsoltfireman »

Hi,

This base is looking forward to the most!
How much should I have to sleep?

Thank you!
Zsolt
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Oh wow! Can you really say anything else?
Steve
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

Gobsmacked !

Chris
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Mass launch! :D
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Surge Friday.
Steve
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Must be the day they all left :cry:

Mark
Mark
MrJollyroger103
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by MrJollyroger103 »

where did you get this scenery at??
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

The screenshots are showcasing a scenery that he's building mate. It's not yet finished. :wink:
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
MrJollyroger103
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by MrJollyroger103 »

Wow!!! i cant wait to fly the Vark out of there! And does anyone have any flight plans done for the LN varks? I know there is a basic one out there at the moment but was just wondering if anyone has done a full blast one yet?
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

MrJollyroger103 wrote:Wow!!! i cant wait to fly the Vark out of there! And does anyone have any flight plans done for the LN varks? I know there is a basic one out there at the moment but was just wondering if anyone has done a full blast one yet?
There is scenery for Upper Heyford, which I made as a stop gap until ACG finish theirs. You can get it here;

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/newforum ... 47&t=12293
Stew