The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Creating a retro world

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
LEBTowerGuy

Creating a retro world

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

I was thinking, with all of the retro models comming out lately, it would be interesting to try to create a world around one specific timeframe. For me the era around 1990 was the most interesting. It was a transition time for many of the worlds militaries, with older aircraft still operating, but the newer aircraft also comming online. There was a wide variety of paint schemes as well. The navy was only beginning to transitition to the low-vis grey on its tactical aircraft. The USAF also had several different colorschemes going as well.

What do you guys think?
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: Creating a retro world

Post by delbydoo »

You wouldn't be the first Matt; I can only speak for myself, but I have one FS9 setup specifically for retro traffic as at April 1st 1990, although obviuously there has to be some give and take.
It was just before GW1, a couple of years before the Royal Air Force changed from what I grew up with, not to mention the fall of the wall and communism in eastern Europe. It was definitely an evocative time for me, and to go back to it every now and again is nice. Plus there are the models now that we didn't have a few years back (F-111, Lightning, Skyhawk, etc etc etc plus more on the way) so putting all that stuff together that people have worked many hours over makes sure that the memories I had stay alive - at least in the fabricated world of sim.

EDIT:
Some of the scenery creation that is taking place at the moment is tremendous, plus there are a few out there that are dated, but you have to look for those.
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

1990 is my choice too for all the reasons you gave. The majority of my paints are for that year.

Chris
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

For me it would be the mid 80's for the following reasons. LOTS of nicely painted F-4's both USN and USAF. Tornadoes EVERYWHERE .
CF104's and 101's and finally, FBeez.
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

I agree with sr01; the early/mid 80's is the era for me as far as the RAF is concerned; it was still a time when Vulcans (please, please, Mr Young, make this your next project closely followed by the Bucc and then, after a cup of tea, the Mighty Hunter) Jags, F-4s, Harriers, Victors, Buccs, JPs and Hawks could be seen on the same day on the same apron on a certain station in Oxon with F-111s and KC-135Es going through on practise approaches.
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Hunter has already been done.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

delbydoo wrote:Hunter has already been done.
... and how well it was done! :smt001
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I think what Blackcat means is that he is of talking about the days when the RAF had an ASW capability. The Nimrod, along with two long forgotten RAF stations Kinloss and St. Mawgan.

It was such a long time ago that it is easily forgotten. :)
Steve
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Ah yes, I see where he's coming from now :grin:
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

I'm going for mid 1980s too, great selection of a/c and squadrons then with a big USAF presence in Europe.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
asizi
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by asizi »

I like the traffic ´specially from the late 40´s to the 80´s. And it doesn´t matter if it´s from east or west. 8) :)

Cheers, Arne
jcapde

Post by jcapde »

For me early/mid 1980's is the best period : many aircratft are still in use (F-106, F-5 for USAF, RAF Lightning, French Air Force Mirage III, F-1 as new models are beginning ther operational life (Tornado F3, Mirage 2000). As contribution for this retro world i will realise repaints (ACG AI model) for about fourteen Douglas C-47 of french navy 56S squadron based at BAN Nimes -Garons (LFTW) in early 1980's.
Attachments
C-47_FN_56S_84.jpg
MilSpecSim
Cadet
Cadet

Post by MilSpecSim »

I have been looking into this very same thing, however I was looking at doing MAIW circa 1960!

I have a FS9 install that has the Silver Wings mod. Propliner heaven! I Also have B-50's C-97's and a bunch of other period aircraft, but as I have no idea how to program AI, nor can I build 3-d models it has only been a dream.

Here is the Silver Wings link. http://www.simviation.com/fs2004scenery70.htm

Nice to know a few others out there are interested in a Marty McFly version!
The worst day flying beats the best day at work... Unless you fly for a living!
DaHjaj 'oH QaQ jaj Daq Hegh
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

One of these afternoons when the weather is crap outside, I will convert the KC-135E over to the early A and later A models for you retro folks to use.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Bazinga!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Somebody likes your idea, Mike. :lol:
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

I see that. The real early A model has a different tail, looks a little weird compared to the others.

These guys will need a really, really dark smoke effect for the A model version. :mrgreen:
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I am sure that it can be arranged. :mrgreen:
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Steve, speaking of dark smoke effects, you might be able to kill two birds with one stone. I've been experimenting with my AI Vulcan to get a dark smoke on take-off. At the moment I'm using Nicks 747 smoke as a "light" to emit a heat shimmer when the engines are running. That sort of works for take-off smoke particularly with 4 engines but it needs to be more dramatic. What I tried to do was convert the file to an "afterburner" (strobe) effect file with delay and lifetime values. I got part of the way and although the smoke travelled with the aircraft, it was pinned to the ground and just made a long plume of ever increasing length. The intention was to try and darken the smoke had I got a bit further. Could you possibly help with this one please?

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No problem, John.

I shall see what I can do for you. Just send me details of what you were using, what you have done and what you were trying to do and I will see what I can come up for you.
Steve