The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Creating a retro world

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: Creating a retro world

Post by f4nutter »

here's a black smoke effect used in the F-4, F-104 etc try it.
Attachments
Black Smoke effect.zip
(604 Bytes) Downloaded 49 times
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks for the effect file Ray. It will certainly do the job if it can be configured in the right way. I tested it visually by setting it up as a Type 7 light in the aircarft.cfg file so that the effect is working all the time the engine is running. It produces a nice black plume on take-off:

However, it's not really suitable for a static situation with engines running or when on the taxiway. In fact when the aircraft stops the smoke is directed straight down into the ground.

What I am looking for is for the effect to be re-worked as a Type 2 (strobe) light that is effectively an afterburner. It will need a delay value of about 48 seconds and a lifetime of 50 seconds and of course a "blacklight" section at the end to prevent a CTD. I tried to configure fx_nicksmokeAI_747 to act as an afterburner but, like Ray's file, it already has lifetime values in the code. I'm not sure how to go about it without destroying the effect, as I did with my original experiments with Nick's file.

Steve, could I take you up on your offer to help please, or Ray if you know how to re-program the file?

If that can be done, I'll use Ray's effect as an "afterburner" and retain Nick's as the heat shimmer with the engine running.

John
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Use multiple effects, one for when the aircraft is moving, set as a strobe type, then another for when the aircraft is taxiing or static, set it as a taxi light effect. Might work.

Could even use three effects:

A type 2 for initial blast off with a timed ending
A type 5 for inflight smoke (only works below 10,000)
A type 6 for taxi/static
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

I recall (and we're going back at least 5-6 years) that there was a smoke system, and there was a version for AI, called something like 'engine exhaust system'. It allowed you to specify at what RPM setting the smoke appeared therefore you could have none on the PAN or taxiway (sub your threshold RPM) and set the smoke to appear at 50% RPM on power-up or whatever thrust setting one fancied.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

This might be the beastie that you mean but I couldn't get it to work for AI, but maybe I was just too stupid back in them days.
http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... DLID=80571
Steve
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

That's the one. Without downloading it and having a peek inside, I'm sure it can be used for AI.
phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

Smoke would go good with an AI B-52. Especially with those MITO takeoffs. And the -135.
Bazinga!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'd like to include the smoke effect file in the Vulcan zip so using third party ones, particularly old ones might lead to copyright issues that I can't resolve. If Ray is willing for me to include his file and it can be tweaked as an "afterburner" that would do the job nicely. I'll retain the heat shimmer effect as well, as I said.

John
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

sure you can use it John, i have been testing different settings and have got this far, i can get the smoke to come on just as the aircraft goes to full power or a second before which look's very good, but cant get it to turn off untill roll out ?
if anyone can give me a pointer i would be greatful.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'm still learnnig about effect files Ray, but is it not the "lifetime=" line that controls how long the effect lasts for. What confused me is that your file already has a "lifetime=5" line at the top and I wasn't sure what that controls. I'm sure Steve will know how to chop it though.

John
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

John Young wrote:I'm still learnnig about effect files Ray, but is it not the "lifetime=" line that controls how long the effect lasts for. What confused me is that your file already has a "lifetime=5" line at the top and I wasn't sure what that controls. I'm sure Steve will know how to chop it though.

John
John & Ray,

It is the [Particles.X]'s Lifetime parameters that control the duration time of an afterburner effect. I'm not sure how this applies to an engine smoke effect however, but hopefully this info will help.

HTAI F-16 Afterburner Effect Example:

[Particle.0]
Lifetime=44.00, 44.00
Type=19
X Scale=1.9, 1.9
Y Scale=1.9, 1.9
Z Scale=0.00, 0.00
X Scale Rate=0.00, 0.00
Y Scale Rate=0.00, 0.00
Z Scale Rate=0.00, 0.00
Drag=0.00, 0.00
Color Rate=0.00, 0.00 //-----controls start-color/end-color(percent of lifetime)
X Offset=0.00, 0.00
Y Offset=0.00, 0.00
Z Offset=0.00, 0.00
Fade In=0.00, 0.00
Fade Out=0.00, 0.00
Rotation=0.00, 0.00
Static=1
Face=1, 1, 1

I've delayed smoke effects until after an AI was starting its takeoff roll or was airborne successfully, but I have never tried to terminate a smoke effect after an AI was airborne.
    Mike M.
    flyerkg
    Major
    Major

Post by flyerkg »

MIKE JG wrote:Use multiple effects, one for when the aircraft is moving, set as a strobe type, then another for when the aircraft is taxiing or static, set it as a taxi light effect. Might work.

Could even use three effects:

A type 2 for initial blast off with a timed ending
    A type 5 for inflight smoke (only works below 10,000)
    A type 6 for taxi/static

Wow, now I am interested in trying these multi-smoke types based on different lights. In particular for B-52 and KC-135s I am using in my 1980s FS9. F/A-18s and F-16s were operational, but a lot of predecessors were still being used such as F-106s and F-4s.

I am still experimenting with smoke effects for all the F-4s I am using. Some smoke looks perfect during daylight, but after sunset, oh boy! A few of the smoke effects I have seen appear as streaks of fire at night time.

I am also working with FS9 circa 1960-65!Now seeing F-8 Crusaders by Michael Pearson/Michael McIntyre. Plus with some squadrons converting to F-4s.

The fun part for this era is matching all the airline aircraft types and liveries.

If anyone has a good F-106 for AI please let me know.

Thank you to all who are contributing to this great adventure!

Keith
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

flyerkg wrote:If anyone has a good F-106 for AI please let me know.
    All in good time, Keith, all in good time! :lol:

Now on to the smoke effect. The smoke effect is a light so you can alter the light number to a different number of light. For example if you set the light type to 2 it will only come on when the strobe light comes on, which sounds like it may be useful for what you want smoke-wise, as I think that it only comes when cleared for take off and until taxy speed is reached on landing. The light type of 7 is activated when the engine(s) are started until they are stopped, which may be more useful for a heat haze effect.

If anything I say here is wrong somebody please correct me as I don't have access to my effects files.

N.B. John that lifetime =5 parm at the top of the file is an MS thing and is not changeable. Well it is but the effect won't work.
    Steve