The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

UH Ravens

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

UH Ravens

Post by delbydoo »

I will be waiting for John to upload the latest version, but couldn't help myself "get prepared" for it's arrival. The 42nd ECS had nose art on all of its aircraft for about a year from 87-88, a bit earlier than most of the usual retro stuff, but it's still relevant I think..... :wink:

BTW not sure what is going on with the canopies, but I'm pretty sure it's at my end this time

DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Re: UH Ravens

Post by DaleRFU »

They look great Daryl :)
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Made a bit more progress with these - there will be 13 in total

Excalibur

Black Sheep (can't think why)

Sorceror's Apprentice

Thumper

Mild Bitter Homebrew

Cheers
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by zsoltfireman »

Very,very Nice!

Thank you!
Zsolt
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Very nice Daryl.

Just a thought. I presume that these will be released for FS9 only? Just looking at the downloads of the F-111 packages from Rapidshare, I see that there have been 64 for FS9 and 78 for FSX, so FSX accounts for the majority of users (55%). Have you (and other re-painters) also considered outputting the textures in .dds format so that FSX users can use them too. It's very simple to do - just flip the 24 bit master vertically and then save as a .dds dxt5. Don't do that from the FS9 extended bitmap though or the image will degrade.

John
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Hi John,
Thought never crossed my mind to be honest, but I don't have FSX and to be honest the only reason I have managed to get this all out this week is the fact that I'm on a week off. I don't want to kick off a trend with people automatically thinking that I am going to do FS9 and FSX textures.
I will never be getting FSX and I appreciate their are users out there that would like these and if any of those would like to take the virgin paints then I would gladly supply them for the conversion process, so that no degradation would occur.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Daryl, you only need to consider FSX textures for FSX models, not every model that's produced. 10 minutes additional work should more than double the take up. Worth doing I would have thought. You don't need FSX to do the conversion - just flip the master vertically and save as a .dds Dxt5 - simple really. I'll always test them for you.

John
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Look out Daryl!!! :shock:

I believe you're being seduced by the "dark side" :smt005

(Sorry John :wink: )
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Oh yes - the dark side is lurking out of every corner by now :smt002

Maybe a manual made sticky in the repaint section would be the best way to get this started?
Cheers,
Martin
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Right - they are finished, but it's taken a little longer than I thought, and I still need to convert them for FSX so sorry for the delay, but it's going to be later today (16th)
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Well done Daryl and thank you. There's actually no hurry though, I haven't uploaded the zips to flightsim.com yet and there's no need for your repaint zip to follow immediately if you are not ready.

I didn't want to open up a can of worms or offend anyone by suggesting that the repaints be output for the F-111 for FSX as well. As I explained to Daryl in a PM, for me, it's not just the people I can hopefully please with my modelling, it's the number I may disappoint if I don't use the marginal effort to produce the FSX version as well as the FS9 one, particularly as I have the skills to do that. It comes, I guess, from an ingrained lifetime in customer service where I think "customer" (user) all the time. If I spend 2000 hours on a scenery, I'd also like to get the maximum return on the investment of my time in user enjoyment. Same for AI. Different value set possibly, but that's not to say there's anything wrong with anyone else's stance - it's only a hobby after all. Incidentally, I'm firmly in the FS9 camp for all the usual reasons. Because I have always dual produced since FSX was released, I know the take up every time and know that FSX is always more popular, at least for the add-ons I produce. Another reason that drives me to produce both versions.

John
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Don't you worry John, you're not offending anyone mate - I was just "yanking your chain" as the colonial fellas would say. :twisted:
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

You keep on yanking Stewart - keeps the rest of us on our toes :lol:

Basically the whole thing comes down to respecting each others point of view and not letting it get in the way of producing something that others will appreciate. :wink:

@John - I just need to flip the images vertically? This will in effect reverse the image so that serials etc will be back to front. Just need to confirm this. Or anyone else that is in the know.

Normal FS9

FSX

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That looks absolutely fine Daryl. In DxtBmp.exe (if you are using that tool), top menu - image - flip image. Then "Save As" - DDS Texture - DDS Dxt5. If there happened to be an alpha channel involved (there's not in this case), eg on a reflective metal airframe, then you would import the alpha as usual and then flip both the image and the alpha before the "save as".

John
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Thanks John.....on it now :D
mojo58
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mojo58 »

Anybody have flight plans for the UH E's and EF's? :-)
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

I will be chucking in some with EF's; nothing spectacular but it will get them moving
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

OK uploaded FS9 and FSX versions to both flightsim and avsim, but please note there will be limited, if any, support for the FSX versions - it was a trial by me and I don't like going in half-blind; thanks to John for his help and guidance on this one. :)
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Daryl,

whenever you have a FSX texture that you want to have confirmed before release - you know whom to ask.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

gsnde wrote: - you know whom to ask.
Ghostbusters?
Steve