The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

RAF Akrotiri, Araxos Greece 2nd pack idea

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
jinx
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

RAF Akrotiri, Araxos Greece 2nd pack idea

Post by jinx »

RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus might be a good idea for a retro package.
I had done one myself for my own use, using Ito, Alpha, and some other a/c for AI, and had them flying from Akrotiri to Paphos and Crete as AI, using the stock scenery. It was nice to use as I flew from Akrotiri to Paphs 36 miles west, and landed and watch my AI coming in to land at Paphos from Akrotiri. Some a/c were off to Egypt, a few to Lebanon, and some to Athens. I do not have that pack I made now in use, though I may have it on disc. If I remember correctly I also had Greek F-84's coming in from Crete to land, and a few Canberras, a Javeliin or two, Lightnings, Sea Vampires and Vampires etc. My pack was not authentic re choice of a/c, but I loved doing it and seeing the AI.

John Young has many of the AI a/c needed--great work.

I am willing to do the research and find a period in past time where the AI a/c to use would be available already.

What do you think?

I can start research right off and also do some basic flight plans.

Also, re Greece, another pack can be done using the Olympos and Tiger F-104 special schemes painted by Nick Manousakis, now retired, and who is a close friend of mine --we drink coffee about once a week. He is the one who designed and painted those two one-off special schemes for the F-104 and the real a/c now are in the Dekeleia Tatoi Museum. Nick will give me correct info on the units at the point in time. He also has a book we can consult that I have.
I can do research for the Araxos pack also.
There is an F-104 for AI use in some of Klaus Jones's sceneries for German airbases.

Your suggestions, please.

Nick from Athens, Greece.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Re: RAF Akrotiri, Araxos Greece 2nd pack idea

Post by gsnde »

Nick,

Mike Pearson has made several wonderful Starfighter AI packages that include all thinkable variations. This would be the perfect model for any F-104 paints.

You might want to have a look at my AI Reference at The Owl's Nest to see which AI aircraft are available.
Cheers,
Martin
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Sluffer77 »

Not sure how retro you would like to go, but in '83 but the Buccaneers of 12 & 208 Squadrons were out there for Operation Pulsator to protect the British Consulate in Beirut, these were supported by firstly 111 Squadron in FG1 (F-4K) Phantoms then by 43 Squadron also in FG1 (F-4K) Phantoms.
A sense of humour must be maintained at all times.

Gaz
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Actually we, 56, were out there as well for 6 weeks taking over from the Leuchars boys. Crimble in Cyprus :( . 11 Grp just extended the 4 week APC detachments to 6 weeks to cover the months that nobody was planned to be out there, i.e winter. This way top cover for the Buccs was supplied w/o anybody screaming about a military build up.

Also out there were 100 Sqn Cranberries and Chinooks from 7 sqn. So models from JY and NB can also be used.
Steve
Sluffer77
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Sluffer77 »

Didn't realise 56 were there as well, more to add to the mix :)
A sense of humour must be maintained at all times.

Gaz
dhazelgrove
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by dhazelgrove »

Don't forget various Vulcans, Victors, VC10 (troop) and C-130s.

Dave
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Also the Dead Sparrows have their winter hols there.
Steve