The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

RAF camo

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

RAF camo

Post by VulcanDriver »

when did RAF fighters start using Barley Grey?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: RAF camo

Post by Firebird »

The first aircraft were the F-4s. The first one that was used for the cammo testing was XV474 in 1978, however it started with overall Light Aircraft Grey. I think that it wasn't until '79 that it received what became barley grey.
I believe that it was started to be rolled out in 1980. It was definitely widespread by the time of the Falklands.

N.B. Just found a pic of 474 in test scheme in '79.
http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1024238/
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks Steve, my retro set up is late 60s early 70s so its grey / green camo which I really like.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Sluffer77
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Sluffer77 »

The Barley Grey later became known as Camouflage Grey. There were a couple of anomolies with the introduction of the F-4J(UK) into the RAF Phantom fleet, as some of these came in a Blue-Turquoise finish.
A sense of humour must be maintained at all times.

Gaz
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It's true. Those anomalies were due to the fact that the USN painted them in the FS equivalents to the BS colours. The Barley grey nearest equivalent was called Flint Grey.
When the F-4J's went through minors and repainted they came out in the BS colours.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

ah I remember making a 1/48 F-4J in RAF markings. At the time there wasn't a Spey powered model available.
John