The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

RAF Transports

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
SeanG
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Re: RAF Transports

Post by SeanG »

timbob1 wrote:I still have some of my basic FSDS Andover, got it to fly but needs a lot of work. If anyone wants the source files to finish it drop me a pm
Tim
Wow!

I'd love to see this finished... We kiwis had some ex RAF Andovers.... they'd look great on the retro flightline at Whenuapai!

SeanG
timbob1
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by timbob1 »

Yep that was a version I was going to do mate, trying to sort out the wheel comprssion when the ramp went down :x , drove me to distraction. Brian that is me piloting your Gnat, I gave up tring to model one for AI purposes, it's a full time unpaid job doing these aircraft, my hat's off to all you lot that make these wonderful aircraft that we so often take for granted.
Regards
Tim

Scenery Designer
hobby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by hobby »

Can we look forward to Argosies gracing our virtual skies in the near future?
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I do believe there is one being worked on at this very moment. :D
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The Argosy is all done. Just waiting Brian to package up his Benson scenery and I'll upload the aircraft at the same time.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Great news, will you be doing a civvy version too?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Afraid not. I can't see a lot of demand for that and the work involved wouldn't be justified.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Pity as BEA Cargo used them as did many others, more than the RAF AFAIK, CalClassics have fps for them but no a/c.

If John provides a Paint Kit I'm sure these textures will appear. :D

Here is a list of civvy operators, many were still flying in the 1990s.

Australia

Brain and Brown Airfreighters
IPEC Aviation
Kris Air

Canada

Transair-Midwest

Gabon

SOACO

Ireland

Aer Turas

Luxembourg

Nittler Air Transport

New Zealand

SAFE Air

Philippines

Philippine Airlines

United Kingdom

Air Bridge Carriers
British European Airways
Elan Parcel Service
Rolls-Royce
Sagittair

United States

Capitol Air
Duncan Aviation
Riddle Airlines
Universal Airlines
Zantop Air Transport

Zaire

Otrag Range Air Service
John

gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

I have posted some pre-release shots here in the forum.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That is quite staggering. More airlines operated the Argosy than were actual built. Only 17 civvie versions were completed.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I guess they were sold on from one to another. Most started life as BEA a/c. Used to love seeing the Whistling Wheelbarrow fly over our house.
John

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes, it's an interesting history. I made the RAF models at the request of Brian for his retro Benson scenery and I have no real interest in continuing into the civilian version. That would involve a new fuselage and animated nose door as well as some significant re-mapping of the textures. That's for 7 LODs across two FS version, never mind complete re-paints. Apart from that and the project I'm now working on, it still leaves a potential shortfall in the number of retro civilian airfields to use an AI civilian Argosy with. I'd rather spend the time doing something more of interest to me. Sorry about that.

John
AndyG43
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by AndyG43 »

That's perfectly understandable John, Rick Piper said much the same thing when asked if he was planning to 'modify' his civvy Argosy into the military version. I'm just really grateful that you have finished this wonderful model, as it fills a much needed gap in the retro RAF line-up; a couple of days off later this week, maybe it's time to start putting those retro AI flightplans together. :P
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

John Young wrote:Yes, it's an interesting history. I made the RAF models at the request of Brian for his retro Benson scenery and I have no real interest in continuing into the civilian version. That would involve a new fuselage and animated nose door as well as some significant re-mapping of the textures. That's for 7 LODs across two FS version, never mind complete re-paints. Apart from that and the project I'm now working on, it still leaves a potential shortfall in the number of retro civilian airfields to use an AI civilian Argosy with. I'd rather spend the time doing something more of interest to me. Sorry about that.

John

Understandable John, any hope of a Beverley, Andover and Belfast, pretty please. That would cover all the 1960 RAF Transports :D
John

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's about 500 hours work that would tie me up for about 3 or 4 months. Having finished the Argosy request last month, I'm actually working on my own project at the moment and I don't really want to break off to do more RAF transports. It's great to be valued, but it's the 5th request I've had today for models and I can't do them all, at least not in a short space of time. I won't say no because the additional transports could well appear at some time in the future.

I thought there was an Andover already in development here at MAIW?

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

It was (is), but I've now got it and I'm not up to your quality :(
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I guess I could continue with this:

John

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Absolutely. There's a much better chance of you finishing it before I would even start it, I would have thought.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I uploaded the Argosy packages to flightsim.com early this morning and they should be available later today:

The files are:

FS9:
JYAI_Argosies_FS9_1.zip

FSX:
JYAI_Argosies_FSX_1.zip

It was also Brian's intention to upload his FS9 retro scenery of RAF Benson today. The package contains a traffic file for the FS9 Argosies. The Benson upload will be to Avsim and has the file name:

FS9 only:
bc_benson_70.Zip

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks John looking forward to seeing them in my sim.
John