The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Retro RAF Transport FPs

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Retro RAF Transport FPs

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Guys, where did the RAF Transport Command fly overseas to in the 1960s? I know we had bases in Singapore, Aden, Germany and Malaysia. Any others?

TIA

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

Re: Retro RAF Transport FPs

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Cyprus, Belize, Gibraltar, Malta to name but four. :wink:
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Doh I forgot about those! Filthy Luqa as the old joke went :D

Thanks Stew.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

List of all former overseas RAF Stations from Wiki;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fo ... s#Overseas
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
AndyG43
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by AndyG43 »

There's an old thread on PPrune that might shed some light on the subject.

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-390770.html
Sluffer77
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Sluffer77 »

John
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but I found this site the other day, not sure if you've come across it, quite an enjoyable read and maybe of some help to you.

It covers the Middle East Command and gives a good idea of aircraft military and civil with some tail markings of aircraft that were based or visited our various MEC bases.

I've currently got Argosies flying around RAF Khormaskar.

http://www.radfanhunters.co.uk/mainframeset.htm

Gaz
A sense of humour must be maintained at all times.

Gaz
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks Gaz, most useful

Cheers

John
John

noisyspeedbird
Cadet
Cadet

Post by noisyspeedbird »

Hi all,
I'm currently scouring the Flight archives and other websites to research some 50's and 60's RAF flightplans. It will be my first foray into producing anything for FS (FS9). My plan is to align AI to the Calclassic periods, ie 1957, 1959 and 1962.
I'd love to eventually have a single package, much like the Calclassic AI, for ease, but will start with small flightplan files and possibly the odd AFCAD to enable parking etc.
Another consideration is to concentrate, at least initially, on flights where military and civil meet. I generally fly civil but want to see the odd 'gem' of a Transport Command Comet or flag carrying Vulcan at some far flung airport.

I'm in the early stages at the moment. I have a reasonable itinary for 9 Comet C.2s of 216 Sqn out of Lyneham for 1957, and will shortly have the same for the years 1959 and 1962.
I also plan for two or three squadrons' worth of Hastings (around 15-20 a/c each) to be lumbering around supplying the Empire in all three time periods.

Other aircraft on the list, helped immeasurably by the wonderful models here, will eventually be the Britannia, Argosy, Vulcan, Hunter, Canberra and in unfortunately small numbers in the later period Lightnings, Buccaneers and Sea Vixen. However, the early years do allow for the odd York & Washington, so it's not all bad!

Most of this is in the early stages of planning only. I wonder whether, with the recently released models, anyone else is further down the road than me on a similar project? Much of my time at the moment is researching realistic routes.