The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

RAF Javelin FS9 and FSX

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

RAF Javelin FS9 and FSX

Post by John Young »

I’ve resisted it long enough, but I thought I would have a go at a Javelin. It’s not an aircraft I particularly like and that’s really only due to one fairly trivial reason – the roundel on the nose. It just unbalances the look of the aircraft. I would have liked it more I think if it was on the air intake, like a Phantom. However, 222 people have voted for it as the most wanted military AI aircraft on the Owl’s Nest poll, so others clearly like it.

I’ve concentrated on the FAW.Mk9 and FAW.Mk9R (with the in-flight refuelling probe). I’ve made 7 individually numbered 7-LOD aircraft of 33 Sqn with a choice of 4 load-outs. I’ve also included the Boscombe Down Test Pilots’ aircraft in red and white that was the last flying Javelin. It’s now in the museum at Duxford.

The Javelins will be available in two separate packages – one for FS9 and another in FSX native code. All the work is done, bar the documentation and zip assembly.

Here are the base models:

Apart from the poll, the other reason for making the Javelin is the recently published scenery by Brian Clarke and Daryl Payne of RAF Middleton St George (bc_ENGV.zip at Avsim). This utilises my AI Hunters with a repaint of 92 Sqn aircraft including the Blue Diamonds aerobatic team. However in 1960, 33 Sqn Javelins also co-existed there. Conveniently, Brian had left a vacant apron with parking for 7 aircraft. That looked like an opportunity and so, with his permission, I have amended the AFCAD file to accommodate the Javelins and produced a supplementary traffic file.

The Middleton St George scenery was made for FS9, but it is usable in FSX. However, users will encounter 2 problems after the task of finding and installing the required 23 third party object libraries. The first is that the trees will have a transparency problem and the second is the frame rate. In FS9, I can get around 45 fps at EGNV with the Hunter and Javelin AI at maximum quality settings. In FSX that drops to around 20. That will be OK on a high end PC or on a lower spec machine with quality settings turned down. I will include an FSX-formatted AFCAD and flight plans for anyone who wants to try it with the FSX Javelins and Hunters.

I’ll write the manual next but before I complete the project, I’d just like to ask if anyone has a specific interest in any of the other Javelin squadrons. Earlier Mk numbers had different styles of tail pipe, but I can accommodate that if necessary, so long as that’s with one load-out. I’ll include a paint kit in the zip, but I’d be happy to paint 10 individual aircraft of another squadron if there is a need. I have the Warpaint book with example schemes and serial numbers.

John
Last edited by John Young on 24 Oct 2014, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Re: RAF Javelin FS9 and FSX

Post by bismarck »

Awesome!!! :shock:
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

Fantastic looking fwd to this, any chance of No5 & 29 Sqdn versions John, I served on these 1958 to 1965. If you need any help I have several pics etc, and two Soft back book which list No's and allocations.
On some Sqdns (29Sqdn)the Inboard Gun Ports had a Red Fibre Glass bullet fairing fitted :lol:
Cheers
Brian H
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

Awesome 2 !!

The whole thing looks fantastic (Roundels included) :D
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
AndyG43
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by AndyG43 »

The earlier variants would be nice John. The Marks 1-6 (apart from the trainer, obviously) were all cosmetically pretty similar I think people could live with/without vortex generators etc) and didn't carry the missiles iirc so one model could cover all; the Mark 8 and Mark 9 were virtually identical, so anybody wanting one could simply repaint your basic Mark 9. The Mark 7 is the trickier one, different from all the others and seen with & without Firestreak.

But it is your call, and what you've done so far is making me a very happy bunny.

And I won't be greedy and ask about the Supermarine swift .....oh sod, I did it, didn't I? :lol:
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

The Mk 4 & 6 had a short nose , the roundel being up against the intake. US Radar being used on these versions, serviceability rate of the radar was very poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Awesome, John. Lovely looking model. This is one of those models that I could only dream of seeing a few years ago.

An interesting fact, on the FAW7 front, was that although 142 were actually built 80 of them went straight into storage to be converted to FAW9s. The whole Javelin production program was a bit of a mess really.
Steve
Jonjon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Jonjon »

Wow :shock:

Brilliant!!!
Awesome work again!!!

Fred :D
asizi
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by asizi »

Great, thank you so much. Since Years I'm waiting for this birdy.

Cheers, Arne. 8) :D
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

John, a bit of info for you if you do the 5 Sqdn Mk9's, the a/c came from 33 Sqdn that is why there is light blue colours in the sqdn markings.
Brian H
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Brian, yes I'm going to do your 5 and 29 Sqn schemes - 10 aircraft for each. I have the serial numbers, but do you happen to have the tail letter codes that went with them? If not, I'll see what pictures I can find with them on and invent the rest.

I wasn't quite clear about what you were saying about the light blue of the 5 Sqn markings. Do you mean the background of the maple leaf?

Stevo has asked for 64 Sqn at Duxford and 85 Sqn at West Raynham so I'll do those too. 64 Sqn also flew Mk7s before their Mk9s, as did 33 Sqn. I made an alternative non-afterburning tail for the Mk7 as I was doing the Mk9 so I could ensure a seamless fit, so it's a fairly simple task to produce both models.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

John,
Believe me I do not want to put you off doing the FAW7 but from what I have read the wing of the 8 and 9 was different from the 7. I believe that the new wing had a drooped wing leading edge, at least.

How much difference it makes visually I do not know. It maybe nothing or not noticeable but I thought I would mention it.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes I was puzzling over that Steve when I was doing my research. I can't detect much difference in the many photographs I have or in my detailed plans. I don't think users will worry about it. It's the jet pipe that's very different.

John
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

John, a bit of gen most of the time only the outboard missiles were carried, normal flight for training just one on the port outboard

Sonarboy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Sonarboy »

Superb detail in your work as always John.

Middleton St George scenery will be nicely populated for the Retro theme with your Hunters and now the Javelin.

"Absolutely Stunning"

Thank you.

Brian

:D :D :D
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

My second fav 1950s British jet fighter after the Sea Vixen. Thanks John :D
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've produced the 5 and 29 Sqn FAW.Mk9/9R models and paints for Plumber:

and the 64 Sqn FAW.Mk7 and 85 Sqn FAW.Mk8 paints for Stevo (ACG):

That gives a total of 5 Squadrons plus A&AEE and 8 model marks/load-outs.

The packs are all done and zipped and I have just sent the FS9 version to Plumber, for him to try out. If anyone would like the FSX pack to do likewise before I upload for everyone, please drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you a link.

John
Sluffer77
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Sluffer77 »

Oh wow, cracking work John and a lovely addition to the retro scene.
A sense of humour must be maintained at all times.

Gaz
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

FS9 versions are top rate as usual for John's work. I now have the Javelin in UK, Germany and the Far East.

merlin101
Major
Major

Post by merlin101 »

:D looking forward to these Very much!
Dave