The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

B-24 Liberator

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

B-24 Liberator

Post by John Young »

I’ve offered to contribute some B-24 Liberator AI aircraft to a WWII USAAF airfield project that is being undertaken with the help of one of the museums in the USA. The airfield itself was in Texas and home to B-29s. My existing AI model is being used for that, but there will also be visiting B-17s (also my model) and hopefully some B-24s when I produce them.

For accuracy, the B-24 model probably needs to be the “E” version used for training and Liberal Airfield in Texas (not the subject of the scenery) was the home to many of them 1942-44’ish. There is very little photographic reference to the E model on the net or in the Warpaint book of the B-24 that I have. I wondered if any B-24 enthusiasts out there have anything I can work from please? I have some very good plans, but it’s the paint schemes that are eluding me. I’ve e-mailed the museum at Liberal in the hope that they might be able to help.

While I’m making the “E” model, I will also make the “D” and “J” which are also the basis of some of the other variants, including some RAF types. I also intend to include the two flying B-24 examples in the USA today - “Diamond Lil” (LB30A) of the Commemorative Air Force and “Witchcraft” (J) of The Collings Foundation.

The amount of variation in the B-24 is quite large, not just in the numbered Marks, but also within Marks, either by date of production or the manufacturer who produced them. I have some wonderful paint scheme illustrations, but I’m not sure which ones are useful to MSFS AI enthusiasts.

Only 6 people have voted for the B-24 in the Owl’s Nest poll of most wanted AI aircraft. Nevertheless, it’s an aircraft I’m interested in building. If any of those 6 people are still viewing this forum, could they tell me what B-24s are of specific interest please? Even if you have not voted, but have an interested, please also let me know what would be useful. As usual, I will produce both FS9 and FSX models although the airfield project is only for FSX.

Better to do this research at the front end, rather than have requests pop up much later on, when the re-work required to meet them might be too great.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: B-24 Liberator

Post by VulcanDriver »

My Dad's RAF squadron operated the Lib in the ASW role from Northern Ireland in WW2. Love to see one in 59 Sqdn colours.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes, that fits very well because I can base those on the "D" and "J" models. I have a photo of a 59 Sqn aircraft in the Warpaint book. That will also provide an example of a Coastal Command paint scheme for others to modify if they wish.

John
Don H
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Don H »

John,
The B-24 would be great! I don't have any particular favorite, so what ever you do will be much appreciated. FSX (actually P3Dv2) is what I fly almost exclusively now, so FSX models are great.

Don
Don H
merlin101
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by merlin101 »

John, maybe do some of the very colour full formation B-24's the Eight & Ninth Air Force had towards the end of the war?
Dave
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes absolutely Dave. I have some nice illustrations to work from. I don't think I'll do the polka dots though!

John
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Keep it going John! Retro is the future! :D
Thanks for everything!
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

Good stuff, John .If you or anyone else needs a particular 8th AF colour let me know I have them all documented .As well as maps of all the required airfields .
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks everyone. I'm getting on quite well with the B-24s. The D and J/H models are done (first LOD FS9) and flying as AI. I also have the first couple of paint schemes applied:

I'm really spoiled for choice. Edhave (Ed) kindly sent me some scans with lots of colour plates and together with the Warpaint book I purchased, there's more than enough to choose from. I think I'll concentrate on providing some typical schemes ( olive, anti-sub, sand, reflective natural metal, RAF ........) and a paint kit so users can build on what I'm doing and make whatever squadrons/wings they are interested in. That's in addition to the aircraft I need for the USAAF Pyote/Liberty project and the two airworthy examples in the USA today.

John
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Stunning John. No other words for it........................stunning.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
asizi
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by asizi »

Great! Thumbs up! :D
edhave
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by edhave »

Wow !!! they look very nice, glad i could give you some inspiration :D

Ed
merlin101
Major
Major

Post by merlin101 »

:P looking great John!
Dave
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Where are you going to fly "Strawberry Bitch" Jon? It's not a particularly striking example, although it's presence in the National Museum would suggest it is of some importance?

I'll need to hunt around for photos, there's not much I've found with a quick look.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

"Strawberry Bitch" is actually OK now that I have found enough information to look at it on all sides. I'll add that one to the list.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

"Strawberry Bitch" for Jon:

59 Sqn RAF Coastal Command for VulcanDriver:

Commemorative Air Force "Diamond Lil":

Collings Foundation "Witchcraft":

Some small adjustments to the models for each subject still required.

I have enough information to make an example or two of the highly decorative, polished metal "Assembly" ships, but the ones that are proving really difficult are the Liberators that remained at home in the USA during WWII, particularly in the training role and particularly in Texas. There's a couple of poor shots I found on the net, and they are not really covered in the books I'm working from. No response yet from the museum at Liberal Texas. I've searched the net also for the 9 Texas airfields that were home to B-24s around 1942. Again, no helpful information apart from a nose shot of a Laredo-based example. Can anyone help with war-time Texas-based B-24's please?

John
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

John Young wrote:Where are you going to fly "Strawberry Bitch" Jon? It's not a particularly striking example, although it's presence in the National Museum would suggest it is of some importance?

I'll need to hunt around for photos, there's not much I've found with a quick look.

John
thanks.
I had a young lady that worked for me with red hair and a "fiery" personality....her quip was something about why'd they name this airplane after me..
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks for the 59 sqdn one. I'm sure if my Dad was still alive he'd appreciate it.

Cheers

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

I hate to bring this up, but just can't resist. You know the Collins Foundation model is half way to the late war Navy variant PB4Y-2 Privateer. Make the fuselage a little longer, convert the twin tail to a single larger one, remove the bottom turret, add lemon blisters on the aft fuselage, and convert the nacelle's to round instead of oval without turbochargers, a couple of observation blisters on the main canopy, as a final variant, add a couple of radio guided 'bat' bombs under the wings. Voila! Used by US and RN, and after the war all around the world, and later as slurry bombers to fight fires! Again, sorry to even bring it up. Ron