The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

B-24 Liberator

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: B-24 Liberator

Post by John Young »

That's a huge amount of work unfortunately at this stage. It would mean lengthening the fuselage - internal and external, cutting out new windows, adding transparent blisters, replacing the engines, patching the bottom turret aperture and making the new tail and load-out. It would entail a re-design of a full texture sheet to accommodate the new fuselage length and tail and re-map of the textures. That would have to be done now for 7 LODs for both the FS9 and FSX versions. My guess would be something like 50-80 hours of work.

On top of that, I think the PB4Y-2 is one of the ugliest aircraft I have ever seen. The national insignia far forward on the nose, like the Javelin, looks out of place and that single tail looks totally disproportionate. I think I would rather concentrate on the beauty of the conventional two-tail Liberator models and then use that potential 50-80 hours on the next project.

Sorry about that.

John
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Hey, no problem! As I said, I really hated to mention, just couldn't resist, but never really expected you to do anything about it. Looking forward to the B-24's. Really appreciate all of the work you do! Ron
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

John
nice bit of video here shows gear retract speed also gear extend sequence and ball turret animation

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-art ... -b-24.html

Cheers

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Excellent video Gary, thank you. In fact, that's just how my animation works. The ball turret is actually coded as a reverse undercarriage (gear) so when the main gear is down the ball turret is up. When the gear retracts, the ball turret comes down. Works a dream.

The Liberators are all done and packaged, but I've been pre-occupied getting the RAF Wattisham scenery and AI packages ready for release after the intensive testing period. More importantly, Brian Clarke is working on some scenery for RAF Pickenham in the UK as it was in 1944. That will provide a nice home for Liberators of the 491st Bombardment Group. I'm going to make some period custom buildings and vehicles for him once Wattisham is uploaded. Here's the first 10 aircraft ready and waiting at my test airfield:

Here are the two formation "Assembly" ships:

These are 2 of the Liberators for Pyote AAF in Texas circa 1942-44 being modelled by some enthusiasts on the other side of the Pond from me:

John
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

Those look fantastic John. You really do great work. :D
    Mike M.
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Mike, but I couldn't do it without good teachers and the AI learning from here.
    Don H
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

Post by Don H »

Fantastic, John. Eagerly awaiting their release. :smt007
    Don H
    Garysb
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

looking good John :D

Gary
    I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
    Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
    merlin101
    Major
    Major
    Version: FS9

Post by merlin101 »

Any update John?
    Dave
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Hi Dave,

Yes indeed, your post is very timely because today I finished a major component of the packages.

The B-24s (FS9 and FSX) are all done, but rather than just provide the AI on it's own, I was keen to work with others who could use the aircraft in their scenery. Hence Brian Clarke and North pickenham in England and the Pyote project in the USA.

I've been making some period vehicle objects to go in the scenery, including an AI Jeep with driver than roams around:

Brian was also keen to make some scenery of Earls Colne, also in England. He was going to use my B-25 Mitchell as AI, which would actually be out of place, but I have managed to build 20 B-26 Marauders of the 323rd BG for him, that were stationed there during WWII. Here's two of the 20:

The projects are coming together and we are gradually creating the right period "feel":

I have a lot on at the moment, including some work revamping the MAIW Sea King helicopter and some bits for Ian's Lakenheath, so I'm spreading my time over the various projects. The milestone today is that I completed the 20 B-26s for FS9, but I still have to do the FSX conversion.

If you would like the B-24 assorted schemes to have a play with without the scenery at this point Dave, I'll gladly package them up for you and upload them to my Cloud server and give you the link. Just let me know whether you want FS9 or FSX?

John
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Great work as always John. :D
      Mike M.
      bismarck
      MAIW Developer
      MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
      clickclickdoh
      MAIW Developer
      MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Where is the bow down emoticon again?
      Flightlead13
      Second Lieutenant
      Second Lieutenant

Post by Flightlead13 »

Speechless!!
      Major

Post by phantomfreak »

I got to see the Collings Foundation B-24, B-17, and a P-51C this weekend.
      Bazinga!
      mins
      Captain
      Captain

Post by mins »

wow~~ Great job!! ^ ^b...

:smt007 :smt007
      merlin101
      Major
      Major

Post by merlin101 »

totally awesome John! Look forward to its release!
      Dave
      f4nutter
      MAIW Developer
      MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

W :shock: W !
      hobby
      First Lieutenant
      First Lieutenant

Post by hobby »

I have been waiting to see a bofors AA gun and tractor for years. John, can this be used in "own make" scenery, with acknowledgements?

Perhaps in RAF Blue for the RAF Rgt crews. I seem to recall that many National Servicemen in the RAF Rgt were trained on this weapon post war.
      John Young
      MAIW Developer
      MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've made 2 models of the Bofors AA gun, hobby. The first is a deployed single gun and the second is a folded gun towed by a GMC US Army 2.5 ton truck, which is probably not appropriate to RAF airfields. You are welcome to use the models so long as you place them as model objects in ADE and not from a library file. I haven't done the FSX conversion yet, but if you would like to drop me a PM with your current e-mail address, I can send you the FS9 models and textures.

I haven't made any RAF crews unfortunately.

John