The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FSX/P3DV4.5 Retro USN/USMC Project

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

FSX/P3DV4.5 Retro USN/USMC Project

Post by delta_lima »

Hello all,

So with all these new (old/retro) models, I've started a series of little projects to convert existing MAIW traffic using modern aircraft to appropriate "period" models. The idea is to populate a few key NAS/MCAS bases with appropriate trainer, fighter, attack, and patrol aircraft. By no means exhaustive, but just to give some retro flavor of naval aviation during a few eras in the US. For those who have Calclassic civilian traffic installed, this will be nice dovetail.

I've got a few "periods" in mind:

1955 = (SNJ, F9F, F2H, P-2)

1965 = (T-34A, F-8, A-4, P-2)

1975 = (T-34C, F-4, A-7, P-3)

1985 = (T-34C, F-14, A-7, P3)

Models used include mostly recent converted MAIW AI models and some Rob Richardson AI models.

With the exception of the T-34A (none that I know of yet, and one or two low-vis liveries) I've got all the models lined up and in the process of creating the traffic. The 1955 Pensacola traffic is at beta stage but so far, looks really good.

So my main question right now is one of distribution, once each piece is done. The models, as noted are either John Young's or Rob Richardson's, and for the 1955 SNJs, there's custom repaints done very kindly by an SOH member, the traffic file is based on a legacy MAIW converted to FSX/P3D. But that's the key piece I need to secure clarity on.

If full credit for the original work is given to MAIW for the original traffic files (some FS9 converted, some FSX, but all with reassigned aircraft associations to the noted aircraft models) - can I upload for distribution here? What about SOH?

My part of this isn't extraordinary, but I'm happy to share.

Please advise - and I'll post some screens of the progress over the next few days.

dl
Quaere verum - Seek truth
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: FSX/P3DV.45 Retro USN/USMC Project

Post by Greg »

Because you were so kind as to ask our permission first, you can include the modified traffic files in your project as long as you credit MAIW and the original flightplanner (the name should be in the original readme). Also, please remove all references to MAIW from the filename to avoid that people come to us when they need support with your modified work.

As you have understood, models is a different thing and you'll have to point your users to the required packages.
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: FSX/P3DV.45 Retro USN/USMC Project

Post by delta_lima »

Thanks Greg,

Those are clear guidelines, and more than fair - thanks. I'm not sure it was kind as much as just common courtesy to ask for permission, especially since the overwhelming extent of the content is MAIW content, from a traffic file composition perspective. Anyway - of course, I wouldn't do it any other way.

Also a favour - can you please edit the title - I made a mistake in my P3D reference. It should P3DV4.5, not P3DV.45. By the time I caught it, I couldn't edit the post. I'd like to make this the updates thread to my projects, so I'd like it to be tidy and clean.

Many, many thanks!

dl
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: FSX/P3DV4.5 Retro USN/USMC Project

Post by Greg »

Believe me, that courtesy is less common than you would think :roll:

Title changed!
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

Yeah, fair enough. I heard Henrik Nielson had some of his AI ship stuff published without permission, and similar stories. Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Thanks for the title fix. Will post up some pics of the first part of the project over the weekend.
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

Here's a few screenshots of NAS Pensacola 1955:

Lovely John Young SNJs all individually repainted, courtesy of Joe over at SOH ("Butcherbird17). I wish I all the other units will have individually numbered paints - I'll just be using the existing repaint across the whole squadron. But the Basic Training Group One got the special treatment.

Flyable aircraft is the lovely Warwick Carter T6/SNJ, with the closest to appropriate repaint I could find.

Will spruce up NAS Pensacola with some additional visitors (P-2, F2H Banshee, F6F Cougar) I'm limited by models and repaints - but it should look passable.

dl

ps - this is a traffic only pack, not making the bases "retro" per se, just using existing MAIW bases.
Attachments
2020-2-15_21-50-54-526.jpg
2020-2-15_21-51-31-24.jpg
asizi
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by asizi »

That's very nice looking. 8) :D
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

That looks very nice. Say, do I understand correctly that the repaints are available at SOH?
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

gsnde wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 08:09 That looks very nice. Say, do I understand correctly that the repaints are available at SOH?
Thanks.

The paints were done by a fellow member at SOH. They’re not released yet though; they’ll be part of the 1955 traffic package.

dl
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

1985 = (T-34C, F-14, A-7, P3)

You had me at more Tomcats!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

Victory103 wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 00:21 1985 = (T-34C, F-14, A-7, P3)

You had me at more Tomcats!
I’m stoked too. The recent conversion of these retro types which won’t otherwise work themselves into any official MAIW Matrix uploads anytime soon, are begging to be put to good use. Some even have individual airframe repaints.

I’ve begged and pleaded Henk et al for these, now they’re here - it’s a travesty if they’re not put to work and broadly enjoyed to the extent that they deserve.

Re gaps:

1) 1985 A-7 repaints
A small call out for any volunteers willing to do a few repaints for the 1985 A-7s. The Mike Pearson model has a few high vis paints that will do perfectly for the 1975 pack. But I’ve got no USN low vis /TPS schemes. If someone could do a 3-4 schemes, that’d be great. No a whole squadron worth of individual airframes, just a couple for West Coast Lemoore based squadrons and one for a single East Coast Oceana based squadron.

2) 1965 T-45A model

I’m not aware of any Continental reciprocating engine AI FSX models available for basic trainers at Pensacola for this period. Alternatively, I’d settle for an FSX AI T-28, but know of none either.

So barring any better choices, I’ll just use the 1975 and 1985 era T-34 turbo C models as stand ins for the older A model. At least it’ll be the same red/white scheme, so it won’t be too bad.

But if someone has a better alternative to suggest while I’m a ways out, please let me know. Note, this is not a request for a custom model, just want to make sure there’s no better existing option out there than what I’m proposing.

Thanks for the interest.

dl

EDIT: Just noticed the C-46, C-47, C-54, and C-118 models uploaded. Amazing. So I’ll add a piston transport component to the ‘55 and ‘65 packs. I’ll look into what models and high vis paints for C-130 and C-141 there are for 1975, and how to do 1985 would be a mixed bag of high vis and low vis TPS.

Adds a bit complexity, but I’m guessing folks would appreciate that extra, yes?
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

OK, traffic for 1955 KNPA is done. Instead of adding transient fighter traffic, I added some cargo. We'll see lot of fighters at 1955 NAS/MCAS fighter bases.

Will work on those over the course of this week. Hoping to have the complete 1955 done in a couple of weeks.
Attachments
2020-2-17_22-0-49-394.jpg
2020-2-17_22-3-14-19.jpg
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

A couple more, formation flying with the AI around KNPA:
Attachments
2020-2-15_22-37-20-571.jpg
2020-2-15_22-46-37-479.jpg
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Very beautiful!

Maybe we will see some of the early Century Fighters converted over this year.

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

Thanks.

Yes, the F-104 family would be lovely, as would the F-101 - would really scratch the itch for a retro ('60s and/or '70s) Canadian Forces project I'd like to do. But this project will keep me busy for weeks or months, so I'm not in a hurry, lol.