The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Valkenburg NAS (NL) retro pack - WIP

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
Superbuggz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Valkenburg NAS (NL) retro pack - WIP

Post by Superbuggz »

here are some screenies of a repaint I just finished of the Jake Burrus' P-3C in Dutch Navy colors for a retro pack (late 80's - early 90's) that Thud and I are working on...
As mentioned: Work in Progress 8)

Ruud
--
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

Nice work.

That is so much more visually interesting than the current/modern low-vis gray schemes that are so popular.
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

I'm looking forward to this one.

Chris
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ruud,
Is this pack going to be a MAIW one, or one you are planning to release yourselves?
Steve
Superbuggz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Superbuggz »

To be honoust, this is a pack that were are creating ourselves, but as this would be one of our first releases, we could do with some expertise from you guys. Des also asked that question and suggested to see if this could be an MAIW release which I - and Thud as well - think is a very tempting idea.
Not sure if we can meet the MAIW quality standards yet, but just let us know what your thoughts about this are, procedures, suggestions, etc,
Ruud
--
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well simply put the first thing is that nobody has to do everything themselves. MAIW is a team org, just look at our release Docs and you will see that the packages are a team effort. What you need, you ask for, and normally somebody will be able to help straight away.

As for standards, you use our packages so you know the standard that we set, and as a beta tester you know what we check for. You also see that very experienced package managers miss things, and this is why we have the testing process.

Now what I would say is that if you are still tempted, contact Des. He will make the package guidelines available to you, and set you up with a package thread. In that you state what you the package is, who is doing what, and what help you need to finish the project. You will see other threads which will give you an idea of how you can use them.

The key thing to remember is that we all help to make a package succeed, we do not sit and watch individuals fail. So any problems or questions just ask.

Finally, I am also sure that Jake would appreciate another package that uses his great model :) .
Steve
Thud
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Thud »

Hi Steve,

I think it is time to chip in. Like Ruud said, we both feel that it will suit our packages better if we can distribute them under the MAIW label which will see it more widespread and easier accesable for those looking for AI packs and we now that when accepted by MAIW it is up to a high standard. Next to that, we have enjoyed MAIW packages for a long time now and we feel it would also be a bit selfish to produce this under our name alone.
We are in a process of rebuilding the Royal Netherlands Air Force to the order of battle in 1989, more or less a Retro pack thus, a time we feel the KLu as it is known in Holland was a more interesting airforce for our us, spotters!
So if MAIW think it would suit their organisation we would be happy to amend our packages to the MAIW guideline standards. The help and info will be very welcome to improve our skills and the outcome of the Afcads, flightplans and repaints.

To let you know where we are working on and we quite far with:
Soesterberg package : 32 TFS with F-15's and 334 Squadron with Fokker 27's
Volkel package : 306 sqn, 311 sqn and 312 sqn with F-16
Valkenburg package : Naval Aviation P-3 orions

Also works are beginning on;
Gilze Rijen en Twente with NF-5's
Soesterberg en Deelen with Alouette III's helicopters
Leeuwarden F-16's
Jackpot Range at Terschelling
De Kooy with Lynx Helicopters
Woensdrecht, PC-7 trainers!

To our opinion it can be very interesting for anyone interested in the Dutch Air Force.

Best regards,
Arjan
"He saluted us with something fighter pilots understand, a buzz job by the boss"
Jack Broughton - Going Downtown
Superbuggz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Superbuggz »

Firebird wrote: Finally, I am also sure that Jake would appreciate another package that uses his great model :) .
I'm sure he will..... I sent him the screenies up front and asked if it was okay to use it in our pack and it is.....

Basically, all that we don't have to even improve the packs would be someone who could do some scenery adjustments such as HAS shelters, hangars, etc, so if there are any volunteers??
Ruud
--
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Guys,
You obviously have the enthusiasm for this project, which you need to push it to completion. Now what I would first ask you to do is consider is this.

Whilst it would be tremendous to do everything in one whole package, experience tells us that you end up doing a lot of work w/o actually producing anything. What I mean by this is that nobody else gets to see your good work.
Now I know that you have been working on this for sometime now, having you thought about breaking up the project into smaller pieces that you can release separately?

I have some suggestions on this and if one of you would like to pm me, I can explain the sort of thing to do.

On scenery front, we are limited by the amount of modellers we have but if you have pics of what you want, maybe we can find somebody to help.

First things first though, drop me a pm.
Steve
Superbuggz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Superbuggz »

Hi Steve,

No worries, these apprentices have observed the masters well so we won't release all in one pack. The intention is to release them all as seperate packs, just like MAIW does, or we might even do that under the flag of MAIW.
Our shortlist are all seperate projects which we work on in the following order, which will probably also be the same order in which we might release them;

Close to completion:
Volkel package : 306 sqn, 311 sqn and 312 sqn with F-16 (aircraft, AFCAD and flightplans finished, beta testing stage)
Valkenburg package : Naval Aviation P-3 orions (aircraft completed, AFCAD and flightplans almost done)
Soesterberg package : 32 TFS with F-15's and 334 Squadron with Fokker 27's (aircraft completed, AFCAD and flightplans almost done)

Also works are beginning on;
Soesterberg update pack with Alouette III's helicopters (repainting, AFCAD and flightplans in progress)
Deelen with Alouette III's helicopters (repainting in progress)
Gilze Rijen en Twente with NF-5's (working on design and repaints for NF-5A and B with Jake, AFCAD and flightplans in very early stage)

The following are on the drawing boards;
Leeuwarden F-16's
Jackpot Range at Terschelling
De Kooy with Lynx Helicopters
Woensdrecht, PC-7 trainers
Iran, P-3's and F-4E's
Soesterberg, F-4E's
Ruud
--
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

A couple of model limitations there...unless Nick has been bored.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Superbuggz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Superbuggz »

BadPvtDan wrote:A couple of model limitations there...unless Nick has been bored.
Hi Danny,

What limitations are you referring to?
We have some great aircraft developers on board that have already created most of the aircraft. The ones that have not been created (yet) will be substituted by means of existing FS aircraft, "downgraded" to AI.
Not the perfect solution, I agree, but as long as there are not too many flying around, the lack of LODS won't be a big issue..
Perhaps, if I ever get to master FSDS, I will make the missing models myself one day
Ruud
--
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

Superbuggz wrote: Des also asked that question and suggested to see if this could be an MAIW release which I - and Thud as well - think is a very tempting idea.

err :?
Superbuggz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Superbuggz »

reconmercs wrote:
Superbuggz wrote: Des also asked that question and suggested to see if this could be an MAIW release which I - and Thud as well - think is a very tempting idea.
err :?
Wazzup Des, no good idea ??? :shock:

It's been a while back when you we mentioned this in one of our mail conversations, but if I'm mistaken and had that discussion with one of the other staff members, then I apolgise for using your name in vain
Ruud
--
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

no biggie, I just don't remember the conversion but pm imbound :wink:
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Superbuggz wrote:
BadPvtDan wrote:A couple of model limitations there...unless Nick has been bored.
Hi Danny,

What limitations are you referring to?
We have some great aircraft developers on board that have already created most of the aircraft. The ones that have not been created (yet) will be substituted by means of existing FS aircraft, "downgraded" to AI.
Not the perfect solution, I agree, but as long as there are not too many flying around, the lack of LODS won't be a big issue..
Perhaps, if I ever get to master FSDS, I will make the missing models myself one day
FSDS can be the devil...you will never fly again once you start that program! Des will explain pAckage requirements I am sure.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Superbuggz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Superbuggz »

BadPvtDan wrote:
Superbuggz wrote:FSDS can be the devil...you will never fly again once you start that program! Des will explain pAckage requirements I am sure.
According to my wife, all my hobbies are the devil, so I'm used to that :lol:

Same goes for repainting, I'm painting my butt of to get Arjan (Thud) to work :roll: and believe me, even that is everything but appreciated by the mrs.
Ruud
--
Thud
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Thud »

Hi Guys,

Defenitively not trying to get it all in one pack. Know what you mean with that it is never going to end then. And it would be a very big pack I guess.

The downgrading of models will only be with the Alouette, Lynx and PC-7 as there are no good AI models yet. If anybody is (or willing to be) working on it let us know, as we could really use a good model!

Cheers,

Arjan
"He saluted us with something fighter pilots understand, a buzz job by the boss"
Thud
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Thud »

Hi Guys,

As you can see Ruud did a great job on the repaint. Mean while I have been working on fp's and the afcad. Far from being finished I decided to throw in some teasers before heading of to Hungary for the Kecskemet Airshow. Plenty of time on the road for beta testing etc.

Enjoy!

Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Re: Valkenburg NAS (NL) retro pack - WIP

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Guys,

I brought this topic over here..................having dusted all the cobwebs off, to see if anyone had any knowledge on whether these repaints were ever released.

(The chap hasn't visited these forums since January 2011.)
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."