The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

The Owls Nest - Individual AI aircraft and repaint reference

Essential flight simulator tools, by Martin Gossmann
http://www.owlsnest.eu
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

The Owls Nest - Individual AI aircraft and repaint reference

Post by gsnde »

It his high time for a new Owl egg :smt001

This is actually something I wanted to do since the very start of The Owl's Nest - a reference for the important military AI aircraft that are not part of the well known packages plus for important repaints. Things that are being searched again and again.

The page is not yet linked into the web site menu and will be reworked quite intensively in the next days, so please bear with me and don't look for prose. This is to give you an idea about what I have in mind. What I like to hear is if you think this is worthwhile - I don't want to invest time for nothing.

So have a sneak preview here.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Cheers,
Martin

Re: The Owls Nest - Individual AI aircraft and repaint reference

Post by ronniegj »

Looks very useful to me! Always appreciate your efforts. Outstanding!

Ron
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Very cool, Martin. I like it!

Now if you could somehow link the repaints to flightplans, or at least mention if they're included or not, you'd have a gold mine. :D
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

That looks great! I think it is very useful!
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Great job, very useful and found a few vintage AI I never knew existed.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

now that's a great idea nice one Martin :smt023
Chrisb
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by Chrisb »

Martin

I got confused (easily done). There doesn't seem to be a clear distinction between the aircraft modeller and the repaints. My suggestion would be to have the frontispiece as the AI model itself and from there off to another screen for the repaints etc for each aircraft. If you then felt you needed more self punishment you could have a flightplan section too. I'm not knocking your hard work as I saw some aircraft that I didn't realise existed too I just think it could be clearer and nows the time to iron it out.
Well you did ask!

Chris.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Chrisb wrote:Martin

I got confused (easily done). There doesn't seem to be a clear distinction between the aircraft modeller and the repaints. My suggestion would be to have the frontispiece as the AI model itself and from there off to another screen for the repaints etc for each aircraft. If you then felt you needed more self punishment you could have a flightplan section too. I'm not knocking your hard work as I saw some aircraft that I didn't realise existed too I just think it could be clearer and nows the time to iron it out.
Well you did ask!

Chris.
Thank you, guys.

Chris, what you say makes a lot of sense - my first take has definitely some midnight logic :smt003
I want to keep the list as flat as possible, as opposite as drilling down into sections. First of all I want to avoid the programming, but I think it is a good feature to be able to scroll through the list as a whole.

How about having three columns saying Model, Livery and Flightplan, which are either tick-marked or not? I guess that would make it perfectly clear.

By the way - flightplans are indeed always asked and looked for, so they would be a valuable addition. The thing is that I don't have any compiled data about flightplans. Now here comes "Self-punishment" into play. :mrgreen:

I am pretty sure that most of you have a list - either in the head or in whatever format - of "must have" liveries, flight plans & aircraft. The Owls Nest list could heavily benefit from your input. So when all data I am sitting on is verified and provided, you are welcome to check what is missing and send me your information.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f47420 »

That's looks like a great idea .

A quick way to find the aircraft and repaints.

Mark W
Mark W
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Revised as discussed above. Chris, all - what do you think - is it clearer now?

I have a third batch of data that I will feed in this week, then I am running out of own material.
Is anybody interested in providing data? I can send you the Excel file as a template that I use.

Revised version
Cheers,
Martin
Major

Post by Chrisb »

Martin

I'm embarrassed now. I'm sure everyone is looking at me.

No I am still not getting this but please do not alter this on my account. I am no good doing those and know nothing much about them.

I went to the F.18 group and entered 'base package' on each entry and then the link. Each one sent me to repaints for the F.18. Is it meant to show me where the aircraft is? And I only just noticed the 'remove filter' button after going through the initial link from yourself three times. See what I mean...it may not be your datasheet.

I would suggest that the positive feedback from others is probably more useful as I appear to be the only one with reservations. And don't get me wrong, I will use it in its present state as I think it is a useful tool.

Chris
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

You do the right thing, Chris - for everybody who speaks up there are always dozens of people who are just too shy to mouth it :D

So this is how you deal with every filterable table on The Owl's Nest (Aircraft reference, MAIW list etc.).

Let's take Chris's example. You want to look for Hornets. Since you don't know if I have named them F-18 or F/A-18 in the list, and because you might also want to find any EA-18 Growler, the lowest common denominator is "-18" (without the quotation marks). So you enter "-18" in the empty field above aircraft and press Enter.

The list is reduced to 12 aircraft now. If you look at the right side of the list, you will see three columns Model, Paint and F-Plan. In this example all 12 rows have a "-" in the columns Model and F-Plan, and have an "x" in the Paint column.

"-" stands for "not available", "x" represents "available". So all 12 packages are only repaints without model or flight plan.

Press the "Remove filter" button on the top right of the table and you see all 368 entries again. You will note that the free text filter box exists only above the Aircraft and the Description column. The other columns have pre-defined dropdown filters.

Let's select "x" in the F-Plan column. The list is reduced to (now) 33 records. You see that all packages include paints as well (all have "x" in the Paint column. With the exception of three packages from Giorgio Perotti (which have "-" in the Model column) they also all includes the model.

The description filter helps e.g. to find common things. Press the "Remove filter" button on the top right to see all 368 entries again. Then type "155" in the description filter and press Enter. This results in two of Jason Rogers repaints of the Nebraska Air National Guard: Tankers and Phantoms.

Does this clarify the filter usage a bit?
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Hi Martin, very very useful table, even if the filter doesn't work on IE7. Not a problem, at least for me.
Also the excel template is a good way to send you updates.
Last, a suggestion for more "self-punishment". :twisted:
What about a column indicating how many LODs has the aircraft?
Perhaps this can be a future new or different reference table.
Bye, and thank for your job.

Giorgio
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

:shock: Anybody else having that issue that filtering is not possible?

The LODs are a good idea, Giorgio. What makes me wonder is aside from the modeller telling in a readme there is still no good way to really find out, or is there?
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

gsnde wrote::shock: Anybody else having that issue that filtering is not possible?

The LODs are a good idea, Giorgio. What makes me wonder is aside from the modeller telling in a readme there is still no good way to really find out, or is there?
I have something on one of my excel files with data collected by ACM. I'll work on that during holiday and let you know. :wink:

Giorgio

EDIT: In attach, what I'm talking about. Never finished, but may be a starting point.
AI_Multi LOD.xls
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Okay,

now all my data is in the list, some very retro prop-liners (filter for MATS in the description) have come today with the last batch. If you have any input that is missing on the list - I know you have 8) - then please use the Excel sheet from the web page and let me have it.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Hi Martin, well done. I'm sure to have something to add. i'm not sure to have internet access during my upcoming holidays 8) , so I'll send you some update late in July.

Ciao, Giorgio
Avtur
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Avtur »

As a newbie to writing Flight Plans and assigning Aircraft it looks like an excellent collation of Military Aircraft and will save hours searching all the various sites etc. :)

Keep up the good works chaps :D

Regards
Geoff
Never pick a fight with a one armed man 'cos whatever happens buddy you lose.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

bismarck wrote:Hi Martin, very very useful table, even if the filter doesn't work on IE7. Not a problem, at least for me.
Giorgio
Hi Giorgio,

It took me some 5 minutes to find an offending "," that broke the filter code in IE6 and IE7. It's beyond me why it works with later IE versions. Please confirm if you now have filters in the aircraft, the MAIW and the AI reference.

I am happy to fix bugs if I can - but I need to know :smt002

Thanks Geoff for the kind words.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Hi Martin, all it's ok now.
Thanks a lot :wink:

Giorgio