The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

AI Aircraft Editor - planned update

Essential flight simulator tools, by Martin Gossmann
http://www.owlsnest.eu
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: AI Aircraft Editor - planned update

Post by Firebird »

Really fast work, Martin.
I almost regret finding another 'feature'.

It is to do with the delete keys. I think I know what happens but rather than make a guess I will tell you how I found it.
When I added JY's Lightnings I cleaned up the fltsim enties using the delete keys option, successfully.
When adding Dale's Lightnings to my folder, I found that even though there were several parms from the new entries that I wanted to delete I couldn't because the delete keys menu didn't show those extra parms that I had already cleaned up before. So I had to tidy up manually.

I don't know whether that function comes from reading only the first fltsim entry or whether it keeps track of clean ups it has done before.

Any ideas?
Steve
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joecoastie »

Man, some great work, Martin ! I have just spent at least three hours just "playing" with all the features.
Now, let's see, what was that other program I was fascinated with a bit ago ? Oh yes . . . . . . Flight Simulator. :lol:
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Firebird wrote:Really fast work, Martin.
I almost regret finding another 'feature'.

It is to do with the delete keys. I think I know what happens but rather than make a guess I will tell you how I found it.
When I added JY's Lightnings I cleaned up the fltsim enties using the delete keys option, successfully.
When adding Dale's Lightnings to my folder, I found that even though there were several parms from the new entries that I wanted to delete I couldn't because the delete keys menu didn't show those extra parms that I had already cleaned up before. So I had to tidy up manually.

I don't know whether that function comes from reading only the first fltsim entry or whether it keeps track of clean ups it has done before.

Any ideas?
No, the idea is that it always finds all keys. Must be one of these small insects, let me kill it for you...
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Joecoastie wrote:Man, some great work, Martin ! I have just spent at least three hours just "playing" with all the features.
Now, let's see, what was that other program I was fascinated with a bit ago ? Oh yes . . . . . . Flight Simulator. :lol:
That is a really nice feedback, Joe :smt006 Maybe those two programs will work together a bit... :smt002
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Firebird wrote: When I added JY's Lightnings I cleaned up the fltsim enties using the delete keys option, successfully.

Any ideas?
I can't replicate it, Steve :(

I have used Johns aircraft and Dales monster sized download. First I deleted all keys except these:

Code: Select all

title = JY Lightning LTF F3 XP741 AI
sim = JYAI_BAC_Lightning_AI_ONLY
model =F3
panel =
texture =LTF_F3_XP741
description = AI only
Then I added those of Dale, which look like this:

[fltsim.35]
title =JY Lightning BAe F6 XP693 AI
sim = JYAI_BAC_Lightning_AI_ONLY
model =F6_canopy_closed
panel =
sound =
texture =F6_BAe_XP693
panel_alias =
sound_alias =
kb_checklists =
kb_reference =
atc_id =Lightning
atc_id_color =
atc_parking_types =MIL_COMBAT
atc_parking_codes =BAe
atc_airline=BAE
atc_flight_number=XP693
ui_manufacturer =BAC
ui_type =Lightning F6
ui_variation =BAe XP693
description = Single seat fighter
visual_damage = 0
atc_heavy=0
Next I had to renumber, because both sources starts with [fltsim.0] (did you do that? otherwise it might be that the key finding stopped at the second [fltsim.0] section)

Then I select delete keys and this is what I get:

All the additional keys from Dale are there. May I please ask you to try to replicate your or mine result, Steve?
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I shall try for you.
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

It works also when not renumbered, Steve. I tried two dozen variations, but I can not reproduce what you have seen. Can you? If please send me the aircraft.cfg file that shows this behavior. Thanks!
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK Martin I have been able to reproduce it and have attached it for you.
I also noticed something else that should help narrow it down.

I added to my 'personalized' Lightning cfg file 5 unaltered fltsim entries. When I loaded that config file it showed 5 duplicate fltsim entries at the bottom of the list, as I would expect. However, they were not the 5 new entries but the duplicates of the original fltsim 0-4 entries, and this I think is why those extra fields were not showing up. Basically the proggy recognises there are duplicate fltsim entries but does not show the correct entries in the list which is why the extra fields do not show up in the delete keys panel.

I hope this makes sense.

The extra 5 titles are easy to spot I left them unaltered. My version is 2.1.16.
Attachments
Personalized Lightnings Aircraft.zip
(7.65 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I see, Steve. This is what is happening. When I tested above, Dales additions were actually more than the original ones from John. Like John: [fltsim.0] - [fltsim.20] and Dale: [fltsim.0] - [fltsim.30]. When I process that, it will read [fltsim.0] - [fltsim.20] from John and [fltsim21.] - [fltsim.30] from Dale, and therefore all keys will be presented in the 'Delete keys' dialog.

In your file the additional [fltsim0] - [fltsim.4] never gets read, because they already are. I am using the INI file API here, so there is no chance to read the additional sections. But what I can do is to check for the error condition when opening the 'Delete keys' dialog and issue a warning to renumber, because that will solve the issue immediately.

Do you agree this makes sense? Or is there a reason I fail to see that you want the additional sections to be duplicates?
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I think I understand what you are saying.
The listing displays all the fltsim entries, however instead of lising the new fltsim0-4 entries at the end it redisplays the original 5 entries, incidentally, the validation report also does this. It shows duplicate titles when in fact they are not duplicated only the fltsim enty number is duplicated.
Therefore because the program, doesn't read the last 5 entries but redisplays the first 5 it doesn't see the extra fields. When you renumber and you get unique fltsim entry numbers then it then displays the new 5 entries correctly and therefore the delete keys shows all the extra fields.

I don't know what logic is used in your proggy but it should read and load all the fltsim entries as they are. This would also mean that the validation report would show that there are duplicate numbers but that the titles are different. I am assuming that you are saying that the INI file api doesn't allow you to do this.
It maybe that if you are applying your work around that you apply the same error checking to your validation report in respect to the fltsim numbers. It registers that there are 5 misnumbered sections but the duplicate titles info is wrong. As that info is first in the list it may lead people down the wrong path.

I would suggest the section numbering part of the report is before the titles section, and if you find that section numbering fails then report that error and prompt to renumber and end the report early. That way it would prompt the user to fix the most important error and retry.
For example currently the report goes on to report that the textures are used more than once for 5 examples but that the fltsim entries for the duplicates. This is in fact wrong as I renamed the textures as well so there are no duplicates, it was just re-reporting the wrong info.

I hope that I haven't confused you here.
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Hi Steve,

in the validation report this is already the first comment exactly for the reasons you are saying:

************************************************************************************************
AIAE V.2.1.16 - 10.03.2013 10:32:38 - Report for "f:\_aiae_tests\acg bac lightning ai pack 1\" *
************************************************************************************************

[fltsim.x] sections:               133   ==> not in sequential order - consider renumbering
[fltsim.x] title undefined:        0
[fltsim.x] title unique:           failed
[fltsim.x] title duplicate:        "ACG_BAC_Lightning_F6_RAF_LTF_XR726" --> fltsim.0
                                   "ACG_BAC_Lightning_F6_RAF_LTF_XR726" --> fltsim.0
                                   "ACG_BAC_Lightning_F6_RAF_LTF_XR728" --> fltsim.1
                                   "ACG_BAC_Lightning_F6_RAF_LTF_XR728" --> fltsim.1
                                   "ACG_BAC_Lightning_F6_RAF_11_XR725" --> fltsim.2
                                   "ACG_BAC_Lightning_F6_RAF_11_XR725" --> fltsim.2
                                   "ACG_BAC_Lightning_F6_RAF_11_XS904" --> fltsim.3
                                   "ACG_BAC_Lightning_F6_RAF_11_XS904" --> fltsim.3
                                   "ACG_BAC_Lightning_F6_RAF_11_XS922" --> fltsim.4
                                   "ACG_BAC_Lightning_F6_RAF_11_XS922" --> fltsim.4
[fltsim.x] sections numbering:     failed (duplicates will cause title unique errors above)
Also it is stated again that the duplicates cause analysis errors. I will change 'consider renumbering' to something more drastic though.

AIAE V.2.1.16 - 10.03.2013 10:43:26 - Report for "f:\_aiae_tests\acg bac lightning ai pack 1\" *

[fltsim.x] sections:               133   ==> not in sequential order - this will cause errors both in the report and sim --> Renumber!!

If there is a sequence error and you run 'Delete keys' you will now get this dialog that offers you to renumber directly on the go.

Do you think that solves it sufficiently?
Cheers,
Martin
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

I've been using AIAed for a few days now and come across something else which I spotted by chance. I've been stripping unused models out of my installation and found this. Bit of background first. I'm also removing texture subfolders and found one aircraft with only 2 textures using 1 model(checked the config to prove it too). AIAed had missed this on a full validate. However, on a single folder validate it picks this up! Any ideas??
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Can you please attach me the aircraft.cfg or even better the whole aircraft folder if it is that small, Dinga?
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Goto Menu Help --> Check for update. Version 2.1.17 should be found. Click on 'Update', and it should be downloaded. After it says 'Download completed' click on 'Finish' and the Updater should run and update your current installation.

Changes:
changed: the remark in the validation report in case of numbering error. it is now more drastic and warns from errors both in the report and sim
added: check for numbering error before 'Delete key' dialog. If errors found you have the chance to renumber on the fly.
added: current manual

This is the golden code pre-release code. New requests will not go into this built any more. Bugs are fixed if I consider them serious.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Martin,
I think that your work arounds should at least warn people if there is something wrong. So if you can't fix the root cause at least it makes it more obvious to people that there is an issue.
Steve
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

Hi Martin - Firstly, Can I upload the folder here? I've .rar'd the whole folder and it's 500kb - or send it to you via email? There are a couple of other issues to discuss regarding full validations, which I'll get onto later as I'm running a full validate just AGAIN :lol: But - I'm quite happy testing this to the nTh degree to get a brilliant program even better!!
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I have PM'ed you my email, Dinga.
Cheers,
Martin
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

Ok folder sent with a bit of a write up. In addition to what I've written, I have done another full validate(not error search) and thrown up another load of unused models! So, back to stripping back - but it will be a lean mean AI machine when all is done!!
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Goto Menu Help --> Check for update. Version 2.1.18 should be found. Click on 'Update', and it should be downloaded. After it says 'Download completed' click on 'Finish' and the Updater should run and update your current installation.

Changes:
fixed: if you run 'Validate all' with 'Report Errors only' and an aircraft has only one obsolete model that was not reported
changed: the same renumbering warning like for 'Delete key' is now given for 'Validate aircraft'

This is the golden code pre-release code. New requests will not go into this built any more. Bugs are fixed if I consider them serious.
Cheers,
Martin
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

OK - that appears to have fixed that problem, here's the next. Firstly, I've read contrary reports about the maximum amount of aircraft allowed in a cfg/texture. So one of these is above that figure, one below - I can't see any errors, but they've been picked up on an error scan. This was prior to latest release too.

AIAE V.2.1.18 - 10/03/2013 17:28:07 - Report for "c:\program files\microsoft games\flight simulator 9\aircraft\htai gulfstream g-iv\" *
***************************************************************************************************************************************

[fltsim.x] sections: 385
[fltsim.x] title undefined: 0
[fltsim.x] title unique: passed
[fltsim.x] sections numbering: passed
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
Textures found in folder: 385
Textures undefined in [fltsim.x]: 0
Textures missing in folder: 0
Textures unused in folder: 0
Textures used more than once: 0
Texture format: *.bmp
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
Models found in folder: 1
Models undefined in [fltsim.x]: 0
Models missing in folder: 0
Models unused in folder: 0
Airfiles found in folder: 1
Airfiles undefined in [fltsim.x]: 0
Airfiles missing in folder: 0
Airfiles unused in folder: 0
Missing effect files: 0
Empty folders found: 0

AIAE V.2.1.18 - 10/03/2013 17:28:10 - Report for "c:\program files\microsoft games\flight simulator 9\aircraft\htai gulfstream g-v\" *
**************************************************************************************************************************************

[fltsim.x] sections: 158
[fltsim.x] title undefined: 0
[fltsim.x] title unique: passed
[fltsim.x] sections numbering: passed
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
Textures found in folder: 158
Textures undefined in [fltsim.x]: 0
Textures missing in folder: 0
Textures unused in folder: 0
Textures used more than once: 0
Texture format: *.bmp
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
Models found in folder: 1
Models undefined in [fltsim.x]: 0
Models missing in folder: 0
Models unused in folder: 0
Airfiles found in folder: 1
Airfiles undefined in [fltsim.x]: 0
Airfiles missing in folder: 0
Airfiles unused in folder: 0
Missing effect files: 0
Empty folders found: 0