The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

One issue follows the other: Materials missing in Gmax...

Post all your development discussions here that don't fit into any of the above categories.
Manschy
Major
Major
Version: P3D

One issue follows the other: Materials missing in Gmax...

Post by Manschy »

Hi to all Gmax experts this time,

currently I am cautiously optimistic to get RAF Brüggen also finished for FSX but there is the next issue I am running into:

Yesterday I changed some minor driver settings in my option under the Gmax viewports menu to get a better resolution on my background images for better placement of objects.
After setting from "OpenGL" to Direct3D" and restarting Gmax, firstly Gmax does not start again. Not before I use my saved Gmax icon Gmax started again but now lots of my used materials are missing!

I suppose the reason for this is that I used some other settings by using the other gmax icon, means, the newer used one has not applied my former settings or paths for my former used materials.
This is very annoying and I hope some of you experts can give me a hint how to get back my paths or settings to my used materials.
Please have a look at the attached shot, maybe you find a solution for that.
Thanks in advance, each help is much appreciated.

Regards, Manfred.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: One issue follows the other: Materials missing in Gmax...

Post by John Young »

Manfred, have you tried:

material editor/utilities/reset material editor slots?

John
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Thank you for response, John.
No, I can't find this option actually. Inside my material editor I only can change between "new" and "pick".

I found another of other issues meanwhile, please have a look at the attached shots:

This is what open up when I try to run the FSTools script under MAXScript pull down menu:

Regarding this strange appearances I decide to copy the complete Gmax folder which works nice from my second PC to my main PC. Does anybody know if Gmax is been installed into any other required places on the PC, please?
Regards, Manfred.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Manfred, this is the reset button in the Gmax Materials Editor:

Have you checked and corrected the paths for your plug-ins:

I don't break Gmax very often because I know it can be a pain to fix, so I'm probably not the best person to advise.

The guys at FsDeveloper, I'm sure could identify those problems instantly and tell you how to fix them.

John
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Hi,

I also ask over there at FSDeveloper, but I know that you are working almost daily with Gmax. I trust more in your experiences as in others.
Meanwhile, I did a complete new installation (yap, it IS a pain to get back all paths...) but now it works....up to my issues as above. No step further.
The plugins you show are the same here.
I noticed that I have no more FSX material (which will be the reason for my problem I think...).
Getting this back will solve it for sure.

EDIT: The "reset" button is greyed out all the time...
Last edited by Manschy on 08 Mar 2021, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Manfred.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Can you not just put them back in as new ones?
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

This would mean to rework a lot of materials.
I have to detect how to get back my FSX materials, then I am sure I will get back all of them. Most of them are namely FSX materials as I remember...
Regards, Manfred.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

John, just resolved it!!!!!

I had to rename ALL paths inside the config - on the very end, I finally got success:
The final line is "Startup Scripts" which I had to guid Gmax to.
Inside "MAXScript" > "configure paths" > "General" all entries led to the main gmax folder which was wrong but not to the correct "FSX_GmaxGamepack", where the correct datas are.
I only got success because I have another correct running version on my other PC. So I could open the running version and compare all entries inside there. Without that, I would have been close to suicide, man...

One day of excursion, one day waste of lifetime, but man, very very happy now...
Thank you very much for your effort.
Regards, Manfred.