The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

V-22 Osprey

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: V-22 Osprey

Post by Joseph29 »

What will the parking radius be with these new planes? I have scenery for Futenma (ROTM) and I want to get the AFCAD ready for the new planes.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

50ft parking radius... but changing your ROTM afcad won't help. All rotor wing traffic plans to Futenma are using ROT2 to keep the slow approaches from clogging traffic on the main runway.

And if that wasn't a teaser... I don't know what is. :twisted:
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Oh ok. Maybe I will change the plans to ROTM then, I don't have that much traffic at ROTM now. Plus I have the Overland sceneries and I am not sure how the new planes will use the scenery besides changing the plans to ROTM.

I don't remember what release ROTM was in
http://secure.simmarket.com/overland.mhtml
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

If it helps, the new scenery almost perfectly aligns with the Overland photoreal background... that was the last thing I deleted. :)

John and I were commenting about the sporadic nature of transient traffic through ROTM, so of course this happened:

Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

I will look at the ROT2 AFCAD when it comes out. Maybe it will line up with the Overland scenery (maybe it just needs some small adjustments). And you sure do have a lot of transient traffic at ROTM. I have never seen that much transient traffic at ROTM all at once in my sim.

Edit: after checking the time table for ROTM and the AFCAD I have for ROTM I need to make some adjustments to it. I had plenty of space for C-130's (they used to be based there) and not a lot of spaces for transient traffic.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Joseph29 wrote:I will look at the ROT2 AFCAD when it comes out. Maybe it will line up with the Overland scenery (maybe it just needs some small adjustments).
They will line up.

The first thing I did when building the new Futenma scenery was to align a giant 11000x8000 pixel composite map I had made from Google Earth with the Simmer's Sky photoreal terrain, then built the scenery on top of that. That way anyone wishing to use the Simmer's Sky photoreal instead of FS9 autogen can still use it. You can even remove the .obj.bgls and bury the AFCAD files in a lower level and run the Simmer's Sky scenery straight on top of them.
FlyTweety
Cadet
Cadet

Post by FlyTweety »

Wow, just stumbled over this Thread while searching again for a V-22 as AI-Aircraft.
As one of them who voted several times here for this exotic thing, i can´t wait to move the Osprey to Spangdahlem like in real live soon.
But first i need to keep calm until release, that is the hardest part...
FlyTweety
Cadet
Cadet

Post by FlyTweety »

John Young wrote:I’ve re-tried the nav-light based triggers with an FSX native model again in FSX but they don’t work. Neither does the essential one that stops the rotor blades with the one blade upright, which is also needed. That doesn’t use the nav light trigger anyway.

So, if an FSX native code Osprey is wanted, it looks like we are stuck with just the one – engines up when parked.
I think I’m going to drop the design of an FSX-native Osprey model.

John
Just out of curiosity:
Can you by chance compile your Osprey with P3D v3 SDK Tools and check, if this showstopper is still existing in P3D v3.x, or only related to FSX?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

While it is possible to convert the Osprey to FSX native code, you can't unfortunately just run it through the appropriate compiler to get there - a lot of the animation has to be set up differently, key framed and tagged and the textures need to be re-applied in FSX format. That would normally take me about 6 hours, but in the case of the Osprey, it is so packed with complex animation it would take much longer than that. However I have tested the parked animation choices and sadly they don't work in FSX.

As a result of the FSX test therefore, only one FSX model is possible – engines up when parked. However, all the FS9 models work well in FSX with all 4 parked states intact. For that reason, I have decided not to make the FSX models.

I don't have P3Dv3, but my guess is that the models should be OK. The limitation is going to be the frame rate of some of the non-native FS9 scenery used with the Ospreys (Brent's Futenma is fine), but some compromise with the scenery quality slider should solve the problem for most users.

The Ospreys are all done and packaged. Just waiting to see if any final changes are needed following the beta tests.

John
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by Weescotty »

John....
Seems like the reason the FS9 aircraft still respond to the 15 mins before departure 'flag' is because in FSX they still use the old instruction set.
FSX native aircraft use the new FSX instruction set.
No idea if P3D is any different.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

John Young wrote: (Brent's Futenma is fine)
I have intentionally switched to building scenery with as few as possible objects from outside the MAIW Global Scenery Library Objects. This should make FSX performance better.
FlyTweety
Cadet
Cadet

Post by FlyTweety »

Weescotty wrote:John....
FSX native aircraft use the new FSX instruction set.
No idea if P3D is any different.
In my opinion it is worth to try it one day.
But in this case John need to continue the development of the V-22 later, after the release of the FS9 version.

Additional, in my opinion, i could also live with "engine up" parked Ospreys in the most cases.
So, i would appreciate the additional release of the FSX version with this known limitation.

But it´s up to John, i take what he want to give :!:
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Sorry, forgive me, but I don't respond to demands - "John need to continue the development". I'm not going to build FSX native models of the Osprey when the FS9 ones work fine in FSX. They are just too complex. The ability to have all 4 parked states against a marginal loss in frame rate with the FS9 model doesn't justify the additional effort in making the conversion. I'd rather spend the time on the Poseidon, Wedgetail and whatever follows.

John
delta64heavy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta64heavy »

John Young wrote:Sorry, forgive me, but I don't respond to demands - "John need to continue the development". I'm not going to build FSX native models of the Osprey when the FS9 ones work fine in FSX. They are just too complex. The ability to have all 4 parked states against a marginal loss in frame rate with the FS9 model doesn't justify the additional effort in making the conversion. I'd rather spend the time on the Poseidon, Wedgetail and whatever follows.

John
+1 If it works in FSX without all 4 states as in FS9, then leave it. Move on to something else. Thanks John for all your work.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

No that's not right. People are getting confused without first trying the models.

To be clear - the FS9 Ospreys have 4 parked variations that work in FS9. If the FS9 models are used in FSX the 4 variations still work. If the models are converted to FSX native code, only one parked state (engines up) works.

There's no real point in making FSX Native models in this case in order to gain a bit of frame rate/improve the graphics, but to lose significant functionality. The frame rate will drop in FSX however, not because of the Ospreys, but because of the accompanying FS9 MAIW scenery. However, you can always pull the scenery quality slider back to compensate.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Ian McCartney has just reported back to me having tested the FS9 Ospreys in P3DV3. He says there are no performance issues whatsoever, which is really good to know.

John
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

This is great to hear! I am willing to reinstall FS9 in support of the work that has gone into the Osprey.
jorab82
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by jorab82 »

John, Thank you for all your hard work, I've like everyone else in this post had been waiting for this aircraft and we are very greatfull (pardon my english) for your effort. I personaly do not care if it is FSX or not, as long as It can fly it on my computer. Witch you already said it will. Again thank you. GOD bless.
Jorab82
PS: Can wait to see the Poseidon
FlyTweety
Cadet
Cadet

Post by FlyTweety »

Sounds good.
Then again: Sit and wait...
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

I'm just thankful I'm still on FS9 :)
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy