The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

V-22 Osprey

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: V-22 Osprey

Post by John Young »

Correct, for P3Dv4, the engines don't rotate downwards when parked, the prop blades don't fold and the wings don't fold. Everything else is as you see in the screen shots. FSX users just need to decide whether to stick with the FS9 models at a higher frame rate but with more parked options, or to use the new FSX native models with much better performance but with only the engines up when parked option.

No need to download flight plans for now. The ones you will need are either in the package or the manual provides links to them.

John
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

A huge and very welcome surprise.

Thank you John 🙂🙂
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

John,
Looking at Google Maps of KHRT and other V-22 bases, it appears that most are parked with the rotors straight up. So no worries and thank you for the unexpected edition to P3Dv4.

Cheers,
Reggie
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Bravo again John, I think I timed my move to P3D just right, little crying over lost FS9 models as they are slowly coming over to the dark side in FSX/P3D. Big thanks for working them out and I love the blade tip form lights, something the USMC did more over the Army for some reason.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Reggie wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 13:03 Looking at Google Maps of KHRT and other V-22 bases, it appears that most are parked with the rotors straight up. So no worries and thank you for the unexpected edition to P3Dv4.
I'm very wary of GE and GM satellite imagery Reggie, when it comes to parked aircraft. The Google Map image of KHRT that came up when I went there showed 8 Ospreys parked, 7 with the engines down and 1 with them up. One of the down states had the props folded. If you look at the aircraft images through, I think they have been added to the airfield image. They look like cut outs, but the tell tale sign is that they have two completely different sets of shadows.

I've studied lots of Osprey ramp photos and the mix of parked configurations is extremely variable. Even on the same airfield, one unit parks engines up and the other engines down. I've seen all 4 states at Mildenhall at one time.

John
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Thank you John,

Your comments are interesting and very informative, and I see what you mean. In any case, very appreciative of you getting the Osprey in the v4 world. You are amazing.

Regards,
Reggie
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Just downloaded the new Osprey package. Will install it later tonight when I get home. Just so everyone has all the Osprey's, USMC New River was not included in this package (the paints and plans are in FSX format). There is also Osprey's in the Pax River package.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

John only included paints for the V-22s that were in his original package. Paints released by third party painters will need to be updated on their own.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I find your post really annoying Joseph29. Can you not be satisfied with what I've provided for you without wanting more?

Ugh!!

John
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Joseph29 wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 11:06 Just downloaded the new Osprey package. Will install it later tonight when I get home. Just so everyone has all the Osprey's, USMC New River was not included in this package (the paints and plans are in FSX format). There is also Osprey's in the Pax River package.
Its easy enough to convert paints, why not give it a try instead of moaning about it.
Pete B
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Hi John

2 possibly silly questions:

Can I lump all the paints under one single aircraft folder &
si the prop_anim_ratio line in the [fltsim.xx] required under P3Dv4

In my FS9 setup I had all the v-22's under one folder with sub-folders for each texture group and it worked very well. I have had a quick look at the aircraft.cfg and don't see any differences between the 6 folders in the FSX/P3D download.

Regards
Pete B
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

If you convert paints from FS9 Dxt3 to FSX/P3Dv4 Dxt5, you are compressing an already compressed image once again. The quality will fall off. Ideally you want the 24 bit masters to work with, which is what the re-painter probably used from the Paint kit. That's why it's better for the re-paint authors to do the conversion if they feel so inclined and actually have P3Dv4 to test what they produce. The other issue in all of this is whether the scenery used by the AI is compatible with P3Dv4. I don't know how New River fares, but since it's not my scenery either, there is a limit on both these counts on how far I can or want to go.

I'm still livid, a few hours after first seeing the post, that a user can complain about this, without even installing the large amount of what's been provided in the package. Is there no realisation of just how many hours goes into these packages to provide what's there without complaining that there should be more of something that isn't mine to provide anyway?

Yes indeed you can combine the paints Pete. The "prop_anim_ratio" line has no function in FSX. I don't know if that's changed in P3Dv4, but I left the lines in just in case.

John
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

John Young wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 19:20 I don't know how New River fares, but since it's not my scenery either, there is a limit on both these counts on how far I can or want to go.
It's not doing so well in P3Dv4, mostly on account of the fact that right now it's in about a 3/4 finished state and not ready for release yet.

:twisted:

Wait.. Um.. You guys didn't see that. There is no New River project in the works. Move along. Nothing to see here.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

John, thanks for quick & comprehensive reply. I will try without the prop_anim_ratio and report back if needed or not in P3Dv4. I have converted the Pax river paints myself so I could get them up in my sim (lower quality accepted). Thanks again for the P3Dv4 models.

Regards
Pete B
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

John, again you have outdone yourself on the conversion. Based on the other FS9 to FSX/P3D models of placing all lightmaps and prop textures into the main Texture folder vs. individual textures, is this fine to do with these?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes absolutely Chris. You might want to write yourself a little text file to put in the Osprey root folder to remind yourself that they are there. If you ever have to replace your main texture folder with a fresh default installation, it might save a bit of head scratching when you discover the rotors no longer show up.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

clickclickdoh wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 19:53 Wait.. Um.. You guys didn't see that. There is no New River project in the works. Move along. Nothing to see here.
:smt044 You crack me up!
Steve
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

John, the "prop_anim_ratio=0.8" does not appear to be required in my P3Dv4 setup but there seems to be no difference whether
its there or not. I had a quick run through all the sceneries mentioned in your PDF and at first glance all look to be fine. I even had
a look at my PAX birds and they also looked ok.

Ref Tony's EGUN scenery, I had already converted it to P3Dv4 for personal use and have an extra file that I converted to P3Dv4 standard "tm_raf_mildenhall_2.bgl" but does not appear in your Mildenhall_v2\scenery folder.

Bed time
Regards
Pete B
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

John, I'm leaving them as I can spare the 1.2mb for now, I'm quickly learning I should have bought a SSD with this new cpu. Not sure if this carried over from the FS9 model, I can see a very tiny portion of the outboard main tire sticking out of the sponsons after the gear retracts, it's so minor no one will notice.

Checking KNKX, I had one V22 stuck in parking, maybe a stray node or something on the no-pushback fix.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

John Young wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 17:11 I find your post really annoying Joseph29. Can you not be satisfied with what I've provided for you without wanting more?

Ugh!!

John

Thats not what I intended. I was just letting everyone know that there was other packages that have the Osprey in it
petebramley wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 17:28
Joseph29 wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 11:06 Just downloaded the new Osprey package. Will install it later tonight when I get home. Just so everyone has all the Osprey's, USMC New River was not included in this package (the paints and plans are in FSX format). There is also Osprey's in the Pax River package.
Its easy enough to convert paints, why not give it a try instead of moaning about it.
I already have converted the paints and installed them. I wasn't moaning about it! I was just letting other know that they are in the library.