The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

V-22 Osprey

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: V-22 Osprey

Post by John Young »

I'm back from a week's holiday and getting stuck in again. Before I start the FSX conversions I need to finish the paints for 32 Ospreys that I've picked to do at USMC Miramar and set them up with a flight plan.

Trouble is, I live nearly 5000 miles away and I'm not familiar with the area aviation-wise. Is there anyone who is please and has the MAIW Miramar package installed who can advise me please?

The existing Miramar package contains 6 way points and those between 55 miles and 190 miles away I can make use of as Osprey TNG destinations I think. What I'm less clear about is what airfields I can realistically send Ospreys to that are within a range of 100-150 miles or so and not have mountains in the way.

I hope someone can help and I'll carry on painting in the meantime.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

One I would imagine that they would go to is NAS North Island in San Diego, KNZY.

UPDATE
Just read that North Island has two relief landing grounds for training.
Naval Auxiliary Landing Field San Clemente Island (KNUC) 70 miles W of San Diego
Naval Outlying Landing Field Imperial Beach (KNRS) 10 miles S of North Island.

We included an afcad for KNUC in our Lemoore scenery and I am sure that I can knock up one for KNRS if you would like.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Steve. Do we have an AFCAD anywhere for KNZY itself?

I'm more than happy to make the KNRS AFCAD, but if you would like to do that it would certainly help.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I used John Stinstroms North Island scenery, which is knzy_1.zip on Flightsim.com, There is an FSX version updated by Jim Dhaenens and called fsx_knzy.zip.

I shall mod an old JustFlight flight to be more realistic and let you have it tomorrow. If you like it then feel free to use it if you not then I won't be offended.
Steve
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Camp Pendleton and it's associated training strips would also be a logical location even though it also has it's own squadrons. Not crossing the mountains would be a challenge since the mountains are already right up against most of the Southern California area. Flights to other logical destinations like MCAS Yuma or 29 Palms would have to go over the mountains.
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joecoastie »

Hey troops, when making the AFCADS for KNRS, KNUC, and or KNSI (San Nicolas Island Naval Outlying Field, San Nicolas Island), please remember to leave a spot for the USCG H-60's out of San Diego. They visit them in the flight plans I posted here last fall. :smt006
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have spots at KNRS. Is there a particular area that use for parking there?
Steve
f47420
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f47420 »

These turned up at Mildenhall today for tdy..

MV-22B

168291 USMC EG03 VMM-263 'Thunder Eagles'
168235 USMC EG02
165941 USMC EG10

KC-130J

165738 USMC VMGR-252
Mark W
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

Firebird wrote:I have spots at KNRS. Is there a particular area that use for parking there?
From what I've experienced, at non-military airfields and most military, we've been directed to a spot wherever it's closest for for an ambulance to access . Semper Paratus :smt023
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well I am not sure that helps really, then again I wouldn't expect you to know parking at every possible landing place, but I will add one spot on the flight line purely for the CG.
Steve
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Firebird wrote:I used John Stinstroms North Island scenery, which is knzy_1.zip on Flightsim.
I had no idea John Stinstrom made scenery for North Island. I will have to check it out.
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

Firebird wrote:Well I am not sure that helps really, then again I wouldn't expect you to know parking at every possible landing place, but I will add one spot on the flight line purely for the CG.

One doesn't have to be strictly for CG. Just as long as there is one extra when all the Ospreys show up. :wink:

(and then there's the beaches, sand bars, fields, cliff edges, and in the open ocean, ships sinking, etc. that would need a 9 meter spot tagged 'USCG".) :lol:

EDIT: FWIW - just to add something for the V-22's - two of them from HMX-1, MCAS Quantico, occasionally come to my home field, KLKU - Louisa/Freeman, and practice "touch and go's".
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Joecoastie wrote:EDIT: FWIW - just to add something for the V-22's - two of them from HMX-1, MCAS Quantico, occasionally come to my home field, KLKU - Louisa/Freeman, and practice "touch and go's".
Good to know, I'll set some up to go that way.

Other random HMX-1 questions other people might be able to answer:

-The pictures I have seen of HMX-1 aircraft on the ground at Andrews for VC-25 flights seem to have them parked facing west at the north end of the passenger terminal. I would assume the land on the north/south taxiway and ground taxi to that position. Can anyone confirm that?

-Only 1 helicopter seems to come to the White House for POTUS pickup, do the others in the flight stage at Anacostia then join up for the shuffle game?

-Do press teams board the V-22 support flights at Quantico, Anacostia or Andrews?

Also, FYI for C-22 flight planning/AFCAD building. In FS9, the V-22 uses a 50 foot parking spot while most other AI helos use a 35 foot spot.
Ryno56
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by Ryno56 »

the V-22's are looking great, any news on when they will be released ? Ryno56
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Welcome to the forum.
I know its frustrating waiting for a release but John has stated what he needs to do before release. There is never any timescale until they are ready purely as real life does throw a spanner in the works here and there.

Trust me when I say that I have never met a developer who has actually finished a package but then could be bothered to release it.
Steve
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

I am a little behind schedule on some of the items I promised John for this package, but I think this one will be worth the wait for you guys when it gets caught up.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I agree with Brent, the Osprey took a lot of experimentation to get right and I'm really pleased with the outcome and people here I think like it too. With that in mind, we would like to go the whole hog and offer some comprehensive and varied packages. If it takes a few more weeks to do it properly, then that's what we'd like to do. I think you will like the result.

Brent has largely finished the Japanese deployments and is working on the HMX-1 (Presidential) package. I've finished the 352nd SOG at Mildenhall and the 32 Ospreys for USMC VMM-163, VMM-268 and VMM-764, including the CAG special paints:

I've installed all 32 USMC Ospreys at Miramar and have been working on the flight plans utilising 3 other airfields in California/Arizona, having found ways to get the aircraft over the mountains:

North Island uses John Strinsom's scenery unchanged, Steve (Firebird) kindly made the KNRS AFCAD and I've used the MAIW Yuma USMC Harrier package which has great scenery in it. In fact I like it so much, I'm going to make the 4 Ospreys of VMX-1 that are based there.

Miramar on the other hand needs a bit more work. I've used the MAIW MCAS Miramar package, but I'm aware that there is an alternative Top Gun package. The Miramar AFCADs in both packages are seriously out of date for Osprey operations. The Top Gun package has some custom scenery objects, but because it's retro, the AFCAD is even more out of date. The MCAS package is more recent, but just has a few default terminal buildings that look out of place. I've manage to update the AFCAD of the latter to accommodate the Ospreys and I'll need to do a small re-work at Yuma. I hope the original authors of the ACFADs will not mind me doing that, so long as I give credit for the original work.

I think I'd like to go one step further and add more realistic key buildings around the Miramar ramps in a supplementary .bgl file. That should only take a few days to do.

I haven't experimented with the FSX models yet, which are doable I think, but probably with a bit less animation variety. I'll get the FS9 packages ready first I think, or I'm just going to confuse myself silly if I work on both versions together.

John
maverick69
Major
Major

Post by maverick69 »

Thank you John primarily for your great work and secondly to your exhaustivity with which you kindly respond to our impatiently questions
- Maurizio C.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

And CAG repaints too! For click's HMX ? have done the POTUS mission before, but that was here in TX and the H-46s were not here, just Marine 1x2. For other FP ideas, I would send them to 29 Palms SELF (KNXP) for training.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
JNDVirtual

Post by JNDVirtual »

I completely forgot that I had redone the Miramar AFCAD to use an older V-22 model. Glad I did it so I can plop these birds in there. I've already updated my redone AFCAD at Spangdahlem to accommodate the planned move of the 352d from Mildenhall. Can't wait...very nice looking work!