The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

V-22 Osprey

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
merlin101
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: V-22 Osprey

Post by merlin101 »

These being released as separate packages John? Looking forward to the Mildenhall ones especially!
Dave
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

I hope this isn't a daft question, but what specifically was the issue with the mountains? Just curious..

Jon G
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

@jgowing, funny you asked that because I have a heli package installed and I set a flight plan with TTools for 6000ft, the route took it over some mountains that were higher and the sim/atc told the heli to go higher to avoid them.
The heli is travelling VFR at 102 IAS if that makesa difference, may be giving it time to adjust I don't know.

Edited, Just to add the heli is AI by the way.

Col.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

If a flight is VFR all terrain is ignored by the engine and your AI will fly into it.
If a flight is IFR it will either climb to allow for the safe altitude to be met or it will route the plane around terrain if that is easier.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi Steve, the flight I did was VFR and the ATC/Sim adjusted the altitude to avoid the mountains, it flew over them, descended a few times and climbed a few times till it reached its destination safely.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Must try this using my Swiss mesh. The Alps look like a good test ;)
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi John, Yes I had the heli flying over Southern France.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've never really had to contend with mountains before and especially mountains so close to one of the destination airfields. The first AI flight I tried was VFR from Miramar to Imperial Beach (KNRS) - it's only 27mins from brakes off to brakes on. When approaching KNRS from the sea but landing in the opposite direction, the Osprey hit the high ground and disappeared east of the runway before it had a chance to turn onto it. I then tried an IFR flight and that worked fine. Going over the mountains from Miramar to Yuma, I switched that to IFR and also increased the cruise altitude and tested in both directions with no problem. It's great to learn as you try new things.

I think there are 3 packages:

- My package of all the Ospreys + the AFCADS for Miramar, Yuma, Imperial Beach and Mildenhall + associated flight plans.

- Brent's package of Futenma, Japan and landing zones (scenery and flight plans)

- Brent's package for the Presidential aircraft HMX-1 (scenery and flight plans)

I'd like to release all the FS9 models at the same time and avoid the need to produce two sets of documentation. The FSX packages can follow after that once I've had a play with the animation. I'll also provide a paint kit in the first package so users can make other units if they wish.

Just a note for the 352nd SOG eventual move to Spangdalem, the parking radius I'm using for the Osprey is 50ft, the type is Military Combat with a parking code of CV22.

I made the 4 VMX-1 Ospreys at Yuma yesterday and they are installed and operating fine. Next job is to make the new buildings for Miramar.

John
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi John, this is the heli package I have installed:
http://www.unitedtrafficteam.com/index. ... libri-heli

I used one of the helis from the package to do the mountain flight, I did another one last night, I set the altitude in TTools to 5000ft but again the ATC told it to go to 7500ft to clear the mountain, after is cleared it descended to 5000 then further still as it neared it's destination.
May be it is just this model that makes it work I don't know, they take off from the heli pad not taxi and in the package they land on the heli pad not the runway.
Last edited by col1948 on 17 Jun 2016, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I don't think it's the model, rather the necessity of an IFR flight plan as Steve has said and I have now confirmed with the Ospreys in the San Diego area. They all now stay above the mountains with that condition set in the flight plan.

The link you posted was dead when I tried it - the site has moved apparently.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

col1948 wrote:Hi Steve, the flight I did was VFR and the ATC/Sim adjusted the altitude to avoid the mountains, it flew over them, descended a few times and climbed a few times till it reached its destination safely.
I have seen this before when the weather is below VFR limits then the system will automatically treat them as IFR. I don't know why it chooses some and not others but I have seen it.

I did extensive testing years ago when I was trying to get Mirage 2000s to fly low level at 550 knots avoiding terrain. What I found was that VFR at 500' was fraught with disaster but IFR was quite interesting and fun.
What I also found out was that no matter what the real ATC rules are below 8000' all AI aircraft are under ATC control and therefore will only fly at a max of 250kts not their cruise speed. 250kts at 500' is not that fun so I had to abandon my projects.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi Steve, I played about a lot with ai helicopters years ago, course in those days the only way was to have them fly as a fixed wing aircraft.
What I'm leading to is I also tried the Osprey, I got it to fly OK but one of the main problems was the tilt rotor, it stayed horizontal while taxiing and the props were spinning in the ground lol.
Then again on landing the tilt rotor did tilt slightly but again the landing was like a fixed wing and spoilt the effect, so obviously I'm very excited about this project, the Osprey is one of my favourites.
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

ricki429 wrote:I'm not sure how much this helps with regards to FSX, but the KC-30 I have at Brize Norton opens it's cargo door 15 mins before departure...though I couldn't tell you what trigger it uses. Really hope there is a way to adapt it for FSX.
Looking great regardless!
Interesting.
Had issues trying to find a FSX trigger for the 15 mins before departure.
Who's KC30 is it?
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by f4nutter »

Mark Griggs
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Think we are talking at cross purposes.
Marks KC30 in FS9 - yup that uses the standard NAV light trigger.
Can't use them in FSX, NAV lights don't come on 15 mins before departure.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Drive By style work in progress posting:

Makadocias
Captain
Captain

Post by Makadocias »

Wicked!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Just a quick update of where I am with the Ospreys. I'm well on the way to replacing the default terminal buildings in the MAIW USMC Miramar package with some custom hangars, control tower and Base Ops buildings (the blue structures have yet to be textured):

It's such a large airfield, I could spend months trying to do it justice and I don't want to delay the Ospreys in order to do that. What I've done I think brings the airfield layout more up to date and creates a bit more interest that stops the Ospreys from being lost on the ramp. I'll give it a few more days of scenery design and then draw the line. I can then move on to the documentation and packaging.

John
merlin101
Major
Major

Post by merlin101 »

thanks for the update John. Think I speak for a lot of people in that you have done fantastic job on this & previous projects!
Dave
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Yeah don't rush it John, the next hour or two will be fine lol.

Seriously, I agree with merlin101, you have and are doing fantastic work, very much appreciated mate.